• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1972 Ericson 39 (on CL) in PDX

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Just noticed this ad. I have no personal knowledge of the boat or owner.
The description seems straightforward.
Price is quite reasonable, and is about what the engine alone is worth.
:)

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Wow. That one's been listed for a while, on and off, but that is a big price drop.
A year or two ago, I bought some parts from a guy at the end of that dock who buys and parts-out old boats. He pointed out that boat (and a couple of others, including an E28) and made some remark (or prediction?) to the effect that, "These are next."
Good thing I have enough expenses at the moment to remove temptation...

Girovago

I looked at this boat yesterday, some crazy gelcoat crazying all over the deck, cockpit and cabin top. I wonder if this is a known issue with E39s or if the sun or water intrusion caused it. It doesn't look to be stress, it's just too extensive. From what I gather crazing can be purely cosmetic until...it isn't. Any feedback?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I looked at this boat yesterday, some crazy gelcoat crazying all over the deck, cockpit and cabin top. I wonder if this is a known issue with E39s or if the sun or water intrusion caused it. It doesn't look to be stress, it's just too extensive. From what I gather crazing can be purely cosmetic until...it isn't. Any feedback?
I have looked at the smaller 70's Ericson's and do not recall any crazing. However, any production boat can develop this as the gel coat hardens over a lot of time IF it was sprayed on a little too thick in the mold. Worst offender I have seen were some Islander's from the era with a lot crazing on deck and cabin.
It did not affect the strength of the laminate as long as the cloth and roving layers were done to spec.
Like any older boat you are going to need a moisture meter check-up done by an experienced surveyor. If the deck is dry, just plan on sanding it out and painting it.
(A surveyor will usually agree to do a partial survey, and in this case a moisture check, with the agreement that you can just stop the survey and pay for "time spent" if he/she finds evidence that the boat will not survey out well.)

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
My boat, which is the same age and spent its life in the same place, also has that issue. Only the deck, and only the non-non-skid areas. I’ve tried a few experimental treatments in small patches. So far, it’s looking like the only thing that will work is to grind everything back to bare fiberglass and put on a new barrier coat. For now, I’ve just slapped some one-part polyurethane over the pox to stabilize things. I’m pretty sure it’s only a cosmetic issue, though I’m puzzled over the cause.

California gelcoat vs Portland lichen...

Girovago

I'm going to have to find a surveyor - it would be a disaster to underestimate the potential structural damage under those deep gelcoat cracks... :(