• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1973 E27 Control Cable

keschuler

I had a control cable fail on my 1973 Ericson 27 the other day. I'm not sure if it's the original cable, but the marking on it is Morse D304262-4-120. I've tried to find the equivalent Teleflex, and it appears to be a CC695, but wanted to see if anyone could confirm that or if there might be another model that replaced it. I've only had the boat a year, and there have been many mods to it - the main one being switching from tiller to wheel (but they didn't move the throttle and gear levers to a pedestal, so they're still down on the left side). I've thought about just moving them to a pedestal, but I'm not sure that I'm ready for that - especially since we're in the middle of sailing season.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Ben Romano

We replaced both shift and fuel cables on our E27 last year. We have pedestal steering and controls so obviously the cables are running to a different destination than on yours, so I don't know that what we used will be right for you. That said, we got Teleflex Series 43, 13 feet, for the gear shift (part no. TFXCCX43313) and TFXtreme 3300/33C, 11 feet, for fuel (TFXCCX63311).

FWIW, we just had a failure of the shift leg that holds the gear shift cable inside the pedestal. (I'm about to post asking for help on that.) We'll see whether having that control conveniently on the pedestal is worth the many hours I foresee spending to get in there to fix it, assuming I can find the broken part.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The last couple times we removed/replaced the cables inside our near-inaccessible binnacle, I had a pro do it. And I am glad that I did. This is a job suited to someone who has done 10 or 20 of them already..... !
:eek:

Last edited:

Ben Romano

Indeed, I should have been clear in my reply that the work was done by CSR Marine, who have been great. (I looked up the part numbers on our invoice!) I used "we" a little too loosely there, but since we are working with them again on our current issue, and we're all all hunting for a solution, it does feel like a team effort.

keschuler

Found this one - SeaStar Solutions CCX64310 TFXtreme 6400CC; bought and received it today. I'm going to install it this weekend and will let everyone know if it works!