• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1976 E27 Head / Lines to pump out

Drummer Man

I am still considering a E27 here in the Chesapeak Bay area. The owner has recently had a new holding tank installed. My problem is the look of the resulting installation. The lines now feed to a pump out fitting on starboard deck (I presume because we can't dump the stuff overboard anymore). My problem is that the lines that formerly were "hidden" behind the bulkhead and/or under the deck are now exposed and running along the outside of the starboard bulkhead (to your immediate left if your sitting on the toilette). The two big black hoses connect at a "Y" junction and to form one black hose and then it and the line from the holding tank run accross the top of the hanging locker area and then up and out to the deck. There is no sink in the head. Also a concern is a spot of "rot" on the bottom right corner of the teal bulkhead as you enter the head. It falls away if you touch it is about 4x5' in size. I'm a newbie to sailing so forgive my non nautical descriptions but it looks to me (based on the original drawings I copied from this site) that this is an attempt to get the waste water from the head to an acceptable disposal system. I presume others have had to deal with this so my question then is, What Gives :confused:

chaco

Member III
Head Plumbing

Please describe the complete Head System Plumbing diagram.
Hoses to Head / ThruHulls / Water Intake / Holding Tank / Etc
Then we can help you out.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Head stuff

You can go to the "For Sale and Wanted" Forum and look through the boats.com or Yachtworld.com links. Most people selling their boats usually include a picture of the head. I dunno why? You'll see a lot of variations on plumbing and different boat conditions by price. It's interesting to see what's out there. Some of the fresh water boats look pristine compared to their ocean going cousins.

Grant Kiba
'73 E27, #406
Antioch, CA

Drummer Man

E27 Head Pumbing

I'm having trouble getting an image out to illustrate my concern. My computor skills are somewhat limited but I'm learning. If you have the time, the boat is still listed on the web sight for Integraty Yacht Sales in Tracys Landing, Maryland. There is a picture of the head there. It functions, but to my untrained eye it looks like a fast solution with no thought given to asthetics. In addition, there is a 5x5 area on the bottom right corner of the lower bulkhead (the one facing you as you stand in the door with the toilette to the left) that is rotting out. The surveyor passed this area and the head with no concerns. Any thoughts on my options?

CWM

Chuck
D Man:Re: holding tank installation:It is ugly, but space is limited on the E27.Is there a bladder holding tank behind that wood panel?On my 1973 E27 the holding tank was under the V berth in the forward most section, and the plumbing was some what ugly.Re: the dry rot area:You can see it in the photo, and that is not a bulkhead, so the repair may be simple.The boat looks nice, and the A-4 motor "looks" good.

Glyn Judson

Head plumbing rats nest.

Dear Mr. Drummer man, That plumbing needn't be that complicated or unsightly. Turn to page 493 of the 2007 West Marine Catalog and find the one entitled "Our Favorite Method". Then look at #8 in the illustration and note the Y-valve in place. That's the same system I've installed in numerous boats with exception of the Y-valve, instead I install a T-fitting there. If you take a second to look at it, you'll see that there's really no reason to have a valve of any sort there. As a matter of fact, I even installed my system in an E27 among others. If you end up buying the E27, also consider flushing the entire system as follows: A. Make 50/50 mix of muriatic acid and water, (2 quarts in a plastic bucket). B. Pour 1 qt. into a dry bowl and let stand for 15 minutes and flush down. C. Repeat with second quart as above. D. Flush tank thoroughly* and add 1 oz. per 10 gallons of tank capacity Odorlos solution to tank through bowl. * Thoroughly means to fill and refill the system at least 2-3 complete fillings of the toilet, hoses and holding tank. Odorlos WILL NOT WORK if there is any other treatment chemical in the system. Regards, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Drummer Man

Messy Head on E27

D Man:Re: holding tank installation:It is ugly, but space is limited on the E27.Is there a bladder holding tank behind that wood panel?On my 1973 E27 the holding tank was under the V berth in the forward most section, and the plumbing was some what ugly.Re: the dry rot area:You can see it in the photo, and that is not a bulkhead, so the repair may be simple.The boat looks nice, and the A-4 motor "looks" good.

Thanks for the fast reply. The holding tank (a stainless steel frectangle from what I saw) is behind the panel with the rot, to the right of the black hose. I have been told that the material on the panel is mahogany or mahogany laminate. Do you know if that is, in fact, true?

Drummer Man

Messy Plumbing on E27

Dear Mr. Drummer man, That plumbing needn't be that complicated or unsightly. Turn to page 493 of the 2007 West Marine Catalog and find the one entitled "Our Favorite Method". Then look at #8 in the illustration and note the Y-valve in place. That's the same system I've installed in numerous boats with exception of the Y-valve, instead I install a T-fitting there. If you take a second to look at it, you'll see that there's really no reason to have a valve of any sort there. As a matter of fact, I even installed my system in an E27 among others. If you end up buying the E27, also consider flushing the entire system as follows: A. Make 50/50 mix of muriatic acid and water, (2 quarts in a plastic bucket). B. Pour 1 qt. into a dry bowl and let stand for 15 minutes and flush down. C. Repeat with second quart as above. D. Flush tank thoroughly* and add 1 oz. per 10 gallons of tank capacity Odorlos solution to tank through bowl. * Thoroughly means to fill and refill the system at least 2-3 complete fillings of the toilet, hoses and holding tank. Odorlos
WILL NOT WORK if there is any other treatment chemical in the system. Regards, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Thanks for the speedy reply. While I don't have the 2007 catalog, I do have the 2008 version and I see what your talking about on page 506 on that one. That is a WAY simplier way to go. Many thanks for the advise, I really appreciate the help. It's strange, at my age (61), being a newbie at something but ya'll are making it a lot easier.

Gary Freeburg

Member II
E27 Head

I recently cleaned out the holding tank, and removed the head from my E27. In it's place I've installed a porti potti that works perfectly. It's a simple way to deal with the problem especially if you don't plan extended cruising with a lot of mates. From an aesthetic point of view it's nice to not have hoses and valves to look at.
BTW, the E27 is a great boat for the bay. I listed mine for sale on this web site only because I'll be away from the Chesapeake for the next three or four summers..if you are still on the lookout that is.
Good luck.