• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1976 Ericson 27 Mainsail

Jimbocky

I am in need of one. Since I don't have one I am not really sure what I am looking for. It seems a bit overwhelming looking on the used and new. I'm fine with used but want to make sure I get the right fittings, etc. I know the measurements are 28 luff and 10 foot. One site lists 7/16" slugs for the luff and rope for the foot type. Is this correct? Thanks.

Attachments

• Ericson Mast.jpeg
    Ericson Mast.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 8

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One thing you can do is ask a sailmaker for a quotation and recommendation. Local franchise rep if possible.

No charge, since they have the standard specs for your boat. You can email them, then follow up with a phone call.

The discussion would be about sailcloth selection, batten options, and loose-footed main (most mainsails are loose-footed now, it's simpler and I think better). They'll have a price for everything.

Used sails are sometimes a good solution, if you can see them first. Not my first choice. There are also many budget sailmakers, Lee Sails being one, whose prices can be half that of a name brand, and who have many satisfied customers.

The best deal is a local sailmaker who comes to the boat. It's always an education.

The sails are why we own sailboats. They're beautiful and we stare at them all day for a reason.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Hi Jim,
I just responded to another PNW E27 sailor with some resources which were helpful for us.

Maybe something in there will be helpful for you. It sounds like you're fairly new to sailing, would that be accurate? If so, my recommendations would be to either go with a local loft who will come visit your boat or buy a used sail that you pay little for. In the first instance you will get the benefit of their long experience. In the second, you will acquire much of your own experience before you spend big bucks on a new sail.
two cents 03.jpg
Cheers,
Jeff

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I have had really good luck with this place and have referred it several times (no affiliation). https://thesailwarehouse.com.
The sails are made by Rolly Tasker and the prices are reasonable compared to custom. I purchased a head sail and an Asymmetrical spin from them and I am really pleased for what I paid for. It is a bit more cost than used but may save you the time of searching and the risk of buying something blown out of shape. If the sail is in stock, it will likely ship that day if you call before noon PST. I called and order on a Tuesday and it arrived on Thursday afternoon and was on the boat that weekend. Unbelievable! Of course he is in Monetrey, CA, and I am in the SF Bay area.

I looked up a main for an E27 and got these hits

Jimbocky

Thanks for the input. Plastic slugs on the luff and rope on the foot is what I was looking for. I have had a few people lead me to sail warehouse. And yes may be better.

hjohnson

S/V Sagres
We’re actually looking at sewing our own with a SailRite kit. We did our own 130% Jib about 5 years ago using one of their kits, and it’s held up great. The whole thing arrived in a tube and a box, and was remarkably simple to put together. 3 of us working over a weekend got it done. Of course, we do have a SailRite sewing machine, but that paid for itself the first time we rebuilt our dodger.

sialawaysailaway90

We’re actually looking at sewing our own with a SailRite kit. We did our own 130% Jib about 5 years ago using one of their kits, and it’s held up great. The whole thing arrived in a tube and a box, and was remarkably simple to put together. 3 of us working over a weekend got it done. Of course, we do have a SailRite sewing machine, but that paid for itself the first time we rebuilt our dodger.
wish I had your confidence. Did any of you have prior experience or was it just a ‘let’s YouTube it/read up and give it a try’ type of thing? Either way- respect!

hjohnson

S/V Sagres
wish I had your confidence. Did any of you have prior experience or was it just a ‘let’s YouTube it/read up and give it a try’ type of thing? Either way- respect!
We had a little bit of experience (my mother is a retired home-ec teacher so taught me a bit of sewing when I was a kid) but the first real experience was the dodger. We then did things like a new mainsail cover, winch covers, and similar. The latter are actually more difficult given how small and fiddly they are.

for the jib, we just stuck to following the directions provided by sailrite. It really wasn’t that bad. They provide excellent instructions, and every piece is marked up with how it attaches to its neighbor. Just pay attention to the order you do things in, so that the bits can fit through the sewing machine.