• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1978 E27 Spreader Light Replacement

japerra

Member II
Hi all,
While removing masts from the mast rack at our club, it seems that someone has broken off my spreader light casing. The light is still operational but the case is all but gone (I think someone was trying to hide the evidence, lol). I'm wondering if anyone knows if this part or the light assembly is available. I'm also open to suggestions for a replacement.
The picture is a little blurry but you should get the idea. BTW, the picture is of the intact light with the lens removed, not the broken one.
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 170

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I had those lights before I rebuilt my spreaders. They're a surprisingly poor design coming from Perko, which usually has OK stuff. But the lenses are relatively inexpensive.

Perhaps you should get more than one replacement set. When you look at the plastic lenses you'll quickly realize that there is very little meat between the attachment ears where the screws go, and the bulk of the lens. After a season or two that plastic gets brittle and has basically no strength to bear against any sort of contact. I think one of mine cracked off in a heavy wind - and snow or ice would have definitely removed them as well. The lens turns yellow and gives the light from the bulbs a maudlin glow. I also found that the festoon-style bulbs mysteriously lose their connectivity to the mounting clips and need to be spun in their fixtures every once in a while, perhaps because the fixtures are not very watertight. This requires a trip up to the spreaders with tools in hand and is 100% as much work as changing the bulbs.

Perko makes a larger version that uses a $6 30-watt tractor bulb with an integral glass lens clipped into a stainless housing with electrical terminals that screw into the bulb. This is a simpler, better design in my opinion - farmers don't have time to waste on finicky fixtures. They're the largest lighting draw on the boat by a long shot, and I keep waiting for something to burn out so I have a reason to replace them with (expensive but low-power) LEDs. Those lights steadfastly refuse to give me any reason to mess with them.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I put in these 5-LED floodlights. One aimed forward, one aft. Lights up the deck real good.

Last edited:

japerra

Member II
I had those lights before I rebuilt my spreaders. They're a surprisingly poor design coming from Perko, which usually has OK stuff. But the lenses are relatively inexpensive.

Perhaps you should get more than one replacement set. When you look at the plastic lenses you'll quickly realize that there is very little meat between the attachment ears where the screws go, and the bulk of the lens. After a season or two that plastic gets brittle and has basically no strength to bear against any sort of contact. I think one of mine cracked off in a heavy wind - and snow or ice would have definitely removed them as well. The lens turns yellow and gives the light from the bulbs a maudlin glow. I also found that the festoon-style bulbs mysteriously lose their connectivity to the mounting clips and need to be spun in their fixtures every once in a while, perhaps because the fixtures are not very watertight. This requires a trip up to the spreaders with tools in hand and is 100% as much work as changing the bulbs.

Perko makes a larger version that uses a $6 30-watt tractor bulb with an integral glass lens clipped into a stainless housing with electrical terminals that screw into the bulb. This is a simpler, better design in my opinion - farmers don't have time to waste on finicky fixtures. They're the largest lighting draw on the boat by a long shot, and I keep waiting for something to burn out so I have a reason to replace them with (expensive but low-power) LEDs. Those lights steadfastly refuse to give me any reason to mess with them.

Thanks Tenders, I have grabbed two of these lights just in case. Went with the LED bulbs as well to lower the draw.
Cheers,
James