• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1978 E29 Portlights

mark.lutner

So this is my first time ever posting in a forum, and this looks like a great group so here it goes! I recently (2 weeks ago) purchased a 1978 E29 named Mandalay in the Chesapeake/Norfolk VA area. She has a few small issues, one of which is the port-lights. Obviously due to age, they have a slow but steady drip which is making a mess of the cabin area and I'm concerned about rot and mold since it has been going on for some time I'm sure. I've read a few posts about numerous companies that make them, but I'm wondering if anyone here has a contact for used ones that are in decent shape. Or even better, if you all have any advice on how to remedy the issue without replacing them.

This will be my first attempt ever replacing or repairing a port-light so if you have any advice it would be greatly appreciated! Also, if you have any tips on other known problem areas with these boats I would appreciate any advice you all have. When looking at different sailboats in the last year, Ericson came up several times as being a fantastic cruiser so I'm excited to be part of this community now and I look forward to any answers/help you can provide.

Thanks again!
Mark
:egrin:
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1570.jpg
    IMG_1570.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 837

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I see your problem

I dragged your picture off and rotated it. 'Twas hurting my neck to view it.
:)

You ought to do some searching here for window threads on 70's Ericson's. I believe that any window construction referencing the 25 - 32 will be helpful.

For best searching, read the FAQ on this site, and then use Google for searches.

Open your Google search box and type in ericsonyachts.org ericson 29 fixed port, and then try variations where you put in other window-realated words.
There are a lot of project threads, as a lot of Ericson's were built and quite a few have the same problems as they age due to sealant crumbling, or gaskets shrinking, or just entropy in general.
:rolleyes:

BTW, clean and good looking Ericson!

Regards,
Loren

Attachments

• E-29.jpg
    E-29.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 415

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Loren's guide will give you much reading, as many of us--just about all of us--have rebedded portlights and fixed ports. It's an excellent first job, and satisfying.

My experience is here (click on the link).

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
The "aluminum window reseal kit" for the Catalina 27 contains the correct gaskets and sealant for your port lights, unless it changed at some point in production. See the diagram at the link for the shape of the extrusion.

Shu

Member II
Hey fellow E29er! Mark, not sure if you read my posting but I bought a portlight from a Catalina 25 on eBay for pretty cheap but haven't received it yet. I'm confident it is the exact same light but will report back to you on my findings. Very cool boat by the way.

mark.lutner

Hey fellow E29er! Mark, not sure if you read my posting but I bought a portlight from a Catalina 25 on eBay for pretty cheap but haven't received it yet. I'm confident it is the exact same light but will report back to you on my findings. Very cool boat by the way.

Sorry for the long delay responding, but did they fit?

Mark

Jenkins

Member II
The "aluminum window reseal kit" for the Catalina 27 contains the correct gaskets and sealant for your port lights, unless it changed at some point in production. See the diagram at the link for the shape of the extrusion.

I ordered this kit and am working through the ports on my e29.
Results are excellent and the instructions that come with the kits are clear.
Peter

mark.lutner

I ordered this kit and am working through the ports on my e29.
Results are excellent and the instructions that come with the kits are clear.
Peter

Thanks for letting me know. I'll get it ordered shortly and give it a shot! Much appreciated.

Mark

HerbertFriedman

Member III
Just a note of information, I have a tiny leak on one of my portlites on my 87E34. I removed the lite, uggh, many hours picking out caulking with various tools and Debond to loosen it up. I determined that the not only was the lead between the lite frame and cabin but also the gasket holding the glass window in place. I was reluctant to remove the two small screws and take the entire lite apart to replace the gasket, rumors are that is hard job. I did find that there are two gaskets, one inside and one outside, and the easily came out with a screw driver probe. No U shaped gasket as is in the C-27 kit. Maybe the U shaped gasket is an improvement but I really did not see enough room between the glass and the aluminum channel for a gasket.

I bought a tube of Dow 795 and tested that and 3M4200, 3M marine sealing and a bit of Locktite silicone on the glass, the 4200 stuck the best but all stuck well enough. I used the black 795 to make my own seal after much cleaning with sandpaper and acetone. I wound up using the inside gasket but used enough 795 to do away with the outside gasket. So no leaks.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
The u-shaped gasket is as per design. However, the original laminated glass is an odd size. (The glass shop claimed that it took so long because some had to be manufactured for me.) Someone may have replaced it with 1/4" material at some point - which is much easier to get, but then the gasket no longer fits.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I did write a belated blog on this the other day... still awaiting approval. jkenan, your PM quota has apparently been exceeded and my reply won't go through.