• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1983 Ericson 35-3 need advice?

robknot

Dear Ericson 35-3 owners need some advice from your experience. I'm looking seriously to purchase 1983 Ericson 35-3 . Planning to see the vessel next week April, 14. from provided pictures ( like almost always) the boat looks well maintained . However listening broker send me his observations besides specs. description. "The seller reports all of the systems are in good working order.

That said, he also said that if he were to keep her, he would get a new mainsail.

A few other things I noticed:
1. The vinyl hull liner was falling off, so he took it all down. You can see that in the pics in the v-berth and the aft cabin. No big deal, but it does make it look darker in those areas.
2. There is tape around some of the hatches and windows, that tells me that there is probably leaks that need to be fixed in those areas.
3. The boat needs a good exterior cleaning, compounding, wax and buff.
4. The cast iron keel needs to be maintained as there are some rust scale that needs to come off, treated and bottom painted.

The seller also told me that the boat did have some keel work done when he touched bottom a few years back. I check the keel and keel sump area and it doesn't look like there is any issues but a surveyor will be able to tell us better."
What do you think guys? What is possibly cost to bring this to good working order? I don't have it any experience with this comlex boat . I coming from trailerable" pocket cruiser" 2014 West Wight Potter 19. What is you impression with sailing E 35-3 ?
I'll appreciate any insights and inputs.
Best regards.
Robert

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Dear Ericson 35-3 owners need some advice from your experience. I'm looking seriously to purchase 1983 Ericson 35-3 . Planning to see the vessel next week April, 14. from provided pictures ( like almost always) the boat looks well maintained . However listening broker send me his observations besides specs. description. "The seller reports all of the systems are in good working order.

That said, he also said that if he were to keep her, he would get a new mainsail.

A few other things I noticed:
1. The vinyl hull liner was falling off, so he took it all down. You can see that in the pics in the v-berth and the aft cabin. No big deal, but it does make it look darker in those areas.
2. There is tape around some of the hatches and windows, that tells me that there is probably leaks that need to be fixed in those areas.
3. The boat needs a good exterior cleaning, compounding, wax and buff.
4. The cast iron keel needs to be maintained as there are some rust scale that needs to come off, treated and bottom painted.

The seller also told me that the boat did have some keel work done when he touched bottom a few years back. I check the keel and keel sump area and it doesn't look like there is any issues but a surveyor will be able to tell us better."
What do you think guys? What is possibly cost to bring this to good working order? I don't have it any experience with this comlex boat . I coming from trailerable" pocket cruiser" 2014 West Wight Potter 19. What is you impression with sailing E 35-3 ?
I'll appreciate any insights and inputs.
Best regards.
Robert

First thing noticed .... the broker has some odd gaps in his knowledge. An Ericson 35-3 (and all the other models) has a Lead keel. There will not be any 'rust scale' on the keel, altho old multiple layers of bottom paint may be flaking off in picturesque fashion.
A surveyor will assess the keel attachment.
Regarding sail condition, in general... 97% of the used sailboats on the market will have sails in need of at least a recut, or even replacement. (Almost no owners will put new sails on a boat they intend to sell in a year or three.)

That vinyl part of the hull liner can be sourced pretty easily and replaced, with advice and instructions from other owners and probably from U-Tube videos. It is kind of tedious work, but something an owner can do. I have replaced much of the old hull ceilings in our boat, due to the PO allowing mold to grow on it.

Tape around hatches and ports would concern me more. At the least these will need to be removed and properly re-bedded. New lenses likely needed. Hope the interior teak is only stained and can be restored.
On a mid-80's boat (regardless of maker) it should be on its second or third set of standing rigging. If not, with records to show it, and the broker starts crab-walking when the subject arrises, just factor a new rig into your offer.
How is the engine? A mechanic's survey will tell the tale, and it may be just fine. Those Universal diesels have a very long life when maintained.

You are right about the complexities in a boat of this size, but the reward is a superb sailing vessel with a full-on cruising interior. (You can still buy a new boat with those attributes, but in that size it will cost out somewhere over 350K.)

Let us know how it plays out.
Oh, and one more thing: if you will, compose your prose using the site software rather than using cut-n-paste, because some applications also import masses of formatting information. :nerd:

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Brokers are careful in what they say. This boat sounds like it has been neglected for several years. I would reserve a significant amount of the purchase price for repairs and improvements that might be necessary. A purchase survey by a good marine surveyor should be done with a provision that the contract will be cancelled if the survey is unsatisfactory. A survey will be required by the insurance company anyway. I would also get an engine inspection as that little hunk of iron costs $10,000 to replace and it will be 35 years old. It can be perfectly fine and last 5,000 hours or more or it could be neglected and need replacement now. Be sure the engine guy checks the harness connections. The harness used by Universal was not one of the better things about the engine. Many of us have replaced it with something safer and better.

A couple of things raise red flags for me. Most important is the rust marks on the keel. You may have a keel that has impacted the bottom and has broken the seal between the hull and the keel. The rusty marks may mean leakage from the inside and that the hull and keel need to be separated and the keel rebeded. The missing headliner is a possible indication of mold contamination. Be aware that there could have been excess water in the boat either at layup or while in water (leaky keel bolts or shaft log). Look for damage at mast base in the wiring and around the engine for signs of high water. Also check the cushions for signs of mold. A musty odor is a sure sign. The quote for new cushions on my boat was $8,790. A new mainsail is probably around $2,500. The difference between a blown out sail and a new one is like a reinvented boat Much faster with less heal and helm adjustment. I would also consider having a rigger check the standing rigging. If it is original, it needs replacing.

If the boat does need some or all of these things, I would decide on a decent offer then subtract the price of necessary repairs (rebedding keel, new sail, etc) and show them clearly on the offer. A friend of mine did this on a Sweden 42 recently. The asking price was $92,000. His offer was $50,000 and it was accepted. He's in the process of doing his 100 projects now.

Expect to do work on an older boat you purchase no matter how good it looks. On this one, I'm hearing a reserve of $10-20,000.

Post the listing. Many here can give you some good tips.

The 35-3 is a great sailing boat. You won't find better except, maybe, my 34-2 and they sail exactly the same.

Last edited:
Our 1983, we have owned since new...35-3 Sketcher still looks and IS a sound boat.

BUT, it takes allot of upkeep. A few years back I was planning on all new through hulls. Then decided on a bottom peel...and $14,000 later.
I do most work myself with reading and remembering advice from people. This saves much money.
But one must keep up with a boat.

This one sounds like previous owner did NOT do that. Be sure to have a great surveyor...do not overpay.

Hilco on Sketcher

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...60/Mattapoisett/MA/United-States#.WstvdYgbNPY

I'd say that if you are in the market for a 35' boat this one is worth a look.

A few typical big jobs have been done: a new cabin floor, new or upgraded winches, a folding prop, bottom barrier-coated.

It is a shoal-draft keel. Useful if your range includes relatively shallow water, less useful for everything else.

The price is no doubt negotiable and the owner probably hopes to get 35K, of which 10 percent will go to the broker.

The surveys will reveal work necessary to be done.

The real question is if you are ready for a big boat, and the time and responsibility and money required. On a tight budget, a boat like this, or any other cruising boat in a slip, will eat you alive.

robknot

Update to 1983 Erocson 35-2 need edvice.

I would like to say Tank you for all of you for gas response, insights and advice. I just received massage form listening broker and hi is apologize for mistake. He sent me wrong boat description. According to him the E 35-3 shows well and is sound and well maintained boat. That's the good news .
Could you tell me guys how the boat sails in different conditions, is more tender or more to the stiff side?
Thanks again. Robert

supersailor

Contributing Partner
All boats are a compromise. There is something out there for everyone. If you want incredible stiffness, you can opt for something like a Dreadnaught or a Westsail. You can buy ocean going condos that masquerade as sailboats. You can buy racing machines that can scare you to death. If you want to actually sail, in all conditions including light air and heavy you cannot find better boats than this series of Ericsons. This includes the 32-3, the 34-2, the 35-3, and the 38-200. The Dreadnaught sailor will consider them to be ridiculously tender. The racer who stacks 10 sailors on the weather rail will think them conservatively ballasted.

My 34-2 which is essentially the same boat as the 35-3, with a different interior and a few inches of bustle taken off the stern, rates a base PHRF 126 which means that it goes to windward like a tiger and hits all other points of sail really well. This is all done in a fully found cruiser with a stick built teak interior with all of the cruising amenities expected. This is in a boat that clocks 2.5 knots in 2.5 knots of wind. The Westsail is still rowing in 10 knots of wind and forget about pointing. You can go the other way. A friend of mine has a Soveral 33. Total weight 5,700 lbs. It planes in 11 knots of wind. In 20 knots, you are terrified about pitch poleing in the wave in front or losing the rather delicate rig but you are having an adrenalin rush. You can also get the condo that was designed to have 3 queen beds and somehow has a hull wrapped around it. Great for dock parties.

My first sail in my 34 was from Victoria, where I had purchased it, to Port Angeles. Victoria is in Canada. Port Angeles the US. Hence International delivery. US Customs says the boat will arrive on the day the paperwork says. We poked our nose beyond the Trial Islands. You Northwest sailors know what is coming. The Straights of Juan de Fuca were in full ebb and the wind was opposing at 28-35 knots. What we call square top waves were present all the way across. Not the type of weather desired to introduce your wife to the new boat. With the new captain jumping around like a lunatic trying various sail combinations, this boat averaged 7.2 knots hard on the wind! The lunatic was screaming I'm gonna love this boat into the wind. The wife was looking a little pasty. We once tried getting a Westsail 32 from Port Angeles to Neah Bay once in these conditions, we had to turn back due to making no progress. My previous San Juan would have been going about 3.5 knots. Haro Straights, The Straights of Georgia and Puget Sound all empty into The Straights of Juan De Fuca which causes an effect called the washing machine . The 34 is quite dry in these conditions. There are advantages in having a raked bow and a hollow entry.

The hull is initially a little tender which reduces wetted surface then it hardens up. Burying the rail takes a real effort. These are tall rigged boats which is part of why they are quick in light air. I pull in the first reef at about 16 knots of wind. I don't usually pull in the second one (at about 20 knots) but just drop the main completely. The boat doesn't slow down.

This series of Ericsons are some of the best boats available on the market. I don't think you can go wrong with one.

Last edited:

robknot

Tank you Supersailor.

It's great to hear from people like you. I'm absolutely convinced that is a very good choice. U have already arranged viewing and if survey and negotiations will end up in positive way I'll be new proud owner of E 35-3 . If anyone else want to share their experiences please it.
I appreciate a lot any comments .Cheers
Robert

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Agreed Christian there are many good boats out there and even a few really good ones. There are also a lot of bad and really bad ones. That said, Terra Nova was the only boat I looked at. My wife bugged me for 5 years about the diminutive size of my San Juan and how it would be nice to have a real cabin. One day I handed her a flier for Terra Nova and said I might be able to tolerate this one. She asked where it was and I said Victoria. She said "If we hurry, we can make the ferry". The rest is history. She sat in the cabin and said "This is comfortable".

Do figure on having a good reserve for correcting problems no matter what the condition seems to be. Everyone misses things. Beware the tinted glasses syndrome. Terra Nova had top line almost brand new electronics and really good sails, The PO had no clue what to do with the engine and other mechanicals. The engine wiring looked like it had been done by an over caffeinated, hyper active spider. I accepted that knowing I could repair and improve it. Sure enough, I had 3 engine failures in the first year. The Universal needs a fuel pump and glow plugs count. The engine had a Macavellian bent. It first stopped in the Port Townsend Cut, a narrow channel that has tons of tide. With zero wind, we flushed through from the bridge all the way to the south end without touching the bottom. The second time was in the Agate passage in 4 1/2 knots of tide. We went under the bridge with the wife jumping up and down on the bow yelling "We are not under weigh" The third time was off the Port Angeles Spit in zero wind. That winter, I rebuilt the electrical system. Zero problems since. The lesion was, I knew the system was bad. I should have stopped everything and fixed it. Three days after I purchased the boat was the Ericson Rendezvous and then the South Sound beckoned. The summer was nice and the new boat befuddled.

I'm not sorry I bought Terra Nova but there were flaws.

fool

Member III
The listing looks good. The rig is down so an inspection of mast and standing rig should be reasonable. You have to put it all back in place once on the water. The diesel does not list hours and although the alternator looks new I'm concerned about the mount. (Plenty of articles here on that, Mr Christian or Loren would you weigh in?)

You'll probably spend some time doing boat yoga to learn more about this critical component. Get a mechanic to do a compression check and oil analysis. A few bucks but worth a good nights sleep. Engine mounts appear original and replacement is up for debate. Check the condition of the folding prop for function or rebuild, and might as well do the condition of shaft and cutlass bearing at the same time. No mention of the packing gland or dripless PSS. Self bleed fuel system...nice!

Dodger and Bimini are listed but not pictured. Good for days when you swear you are closer to the sun than the equator or ducking green spray from off the bow on really good days. Nothing a little sun screen and toughness can't manage, skin is pretty much waterproof anyway, no? And squinty wrinkles add a sort of sexy character with age?

Electronics look functional, although the panel looks a bit dated. A survey will indicate more, function of the equipment pretty much needs the mast raised. None of the electronics look ready for immediate replacement. Go sailing or spend the day and money doing boat yoga replacing something that works well enough to go sailing...everything has a trade off.

Good sized batteries a bit dated. I'd spring for a Balmar monitor and plan on replacing one or more batteries in the future. Gel is supposed to last longer than AGM if cared for properly. No listing of a battery charger or trickle charger. The vessel is laid up in winter. Batteries do not like being going empty while on the shelf. A survey or load test might tell you more.

Water and fuel capacity are functional, fresh water flush in the head makes smells virtually non-existent (from the boat's plumbing anyway). Bring additional water to drink because flushing with any water uses a lot of water. (A lot of water when on a boat is relative to the amount you can drink.)

Nothing at all scary about the interior. CNG and not Propane for the stove. You might have to walk a mile or more to find CNG. Mention of mechanical refrigeration - Seafrost, no need to purchase block ice. The drains from the fridge are under the galley sink and not complicated once you figure them out. Will be the biggest drain of 12v power if you keep it cold enough to freeze ice.

Dehumidify if your environment requires you winterize.

Step about on the teak and holly to see what creaks. Either it'll be access boards to the bilge to shim or your very pretty veneer will have started to delaminate, a common problem in this vessel. Do this test twice in the head near the sink and shower, the first area that is likely to let go of the glue. There is an article here of what to do to restore the current floor if you have time and a garage. Or go sailing and add it to the 'round 2 it someday list.

Relatively new sail canvas, and sheets. I'm not too fond of the dutchman flaking system but better to have a flaking system that not. Relatively new winches. How often to you come across a refreshed and restored binnacle (steering pedestal in the listing)? Never?

No mention of ground tackle or windlass, you'll want an anchor and rode at least, and strong back if you have to pull them up by hand.

Bottom and paint look really good in the photos. Your keel is glass encompassed lead with stainless bolts. No listing evidence of a grounding "smile". Shallow draft for gunkholes or shallow reefs. No mention of rig height so how they balance is an unknown. You might find some minor eraser or dime sized blisters when the paint wears but who cares, with a bottom like that they won't affect the performance of the vessel. Go sailing!

I'm often amazed at how well Ericsons perform under sail in both light and moderate/heavy conditions. Ericsons just seem to love to sail well in most conditions if you learn how to balance your sail settings. They are a joy to get underway and let what the wind does best. "'tis the set of the sail and not the gail, that tells which way to go..."

Listings always look good until you marry the boat and the honeymoon ends. Then the wallet comes out and you find out boat really means Bring Out Another Thousand. Plan on a minimum 10% of your purchase price annually for mooring and maintenance depending on your location.

And if all pans out the way the listing says? I'd make an offer if I was in love with the boat and didn't already have one. (Legal disclaimers for liability resulting from a two cent opinion apply.)

Max

Last edited:

Vagabond39

Member III
Mattaposette, MA Boats

There is an 1987 Ericson 34 II for sale in Mattapoisett, at $39.9 K list price. If you look at one, look at the other. See what you like.
[h=6]Eastern Yacht Sales, Inc.[/h] 13 C Beach Street
Vineyard Haven, MA 02568
United States

I have no dog in that fight.
http://www.sailboatlistings.com
also has a 34 II listed from 2013, may be the same one.???
Good Luck

bbjenkins

1989 34-2 for sale $16,500.00 NJ

Rob,
I have a 1989 34-2 that sadly I must sell immediately due to a new home purchase. I was on the site and going to list it on the sale forum when
I noticed your post. Vessel is in great shape and located in Longport, NJ. The sale will include full set of Jack Stands and custom winter cover. If interested i'll be happy to share a dropbox link with more photos and details.

All the Best,
Bill

IMG_1645.jpgIMG_4759 (1).jpgIMG_0431 (1).jpg

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Overpriced 35-3

I Know the boat.....it is a beauty....I don't think you will find a more beautifully preserved 35-3 anywhere......it is a matter of what the buyer is willing to pay, and what the seller is willing to take....this is a turnkey boat.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Under the "new items" list I can ID over 10K spent, easily. Maybe closer to 20.
Definitely worth a good look.