• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1984 E-33 Temp Gauge

Leon Sheean

Member II
A friend of mine has an E-33 (1984) and the temp gauge has ceased to function. How does one verify that the temp sensing unit is sending a signal to the gauge, and can that signal be tested with a multi-meter?

By the way, which Kubota block is the 1984 M-25? The D-950?

Emerald

Generally, the sending units change resistance as they warm up. I would expect to find high resistance cold, with the resistance going down as the sensor gets warmer. This can be measured with a standard "multimeter" as we're talking ohms here. Most sensors of this type have a single post on them, so you would make the measurement between the post and the block with the gauge disconnected.

Shadowfax

Member III
A Related Question

My temp gauge has been working on and off for awhile now. Currently it shows a low temp and stays there, so something is wrong. I'm tempted to start with the sending unit. In my shade tree mechanic days a temp sending unit, was a temp sending unit, and it didn't matter who made them. I'm wondering if that is true with the M25 XP that I have.

Do I have to buy one from Universal, or will any auto store unit work? I also have a Kubota dealer a couple of miles away. Anyone know what the Kubota number might be for the unit, or what Kubota calls the M25 XP engine?

Thanks

Last edited:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Paul,
Kubota calls the M25XP their D-950 block. See the link posted above. Maybe the Kubota dealer can take it from there.

jmpirate

Gauge testing

An easy way to check that the gauge and wiring are working is to simply pull the lead off of the sensor and ground it, while the key is in the run position. The gauge should peg out if it is working.