• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1990 O-34 For Sale- Seattle (broker ad)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

New ad. Ironic that I believe that I recall seeing this boat in Portland, where the first owner bought it and finished out some of it when EY closed up. Very well equipped. The 27 hp Yanmar is a little larger than the then-stock OEM Universal 23 hp.
Of course it might not be that boat... :)
FWIW, the quoted displacement is incorrect and should read 10600#. The broker must have referenced the old Pacific Boats brochure.

Anyhow, I can only hope the next owner logs in here often.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It appears go be in very good condition & well equipped. I would say 'yes'.
Of course a survey will tell you a lot more than some pictures on a listing on the internet. ;)
I like our 1988 O-34, and have been thru it - every nook and cranny - a lot over the last 25 years and really appreciate the construction detailing from EY. So I am not really a disinterested observer... !
:)
Ours is presently insured for an agreed 75K, and that will go up after we turn in a new survey to the insurer.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There may be water stains below the ports. All can be re-bedded, and the veneer can be cleaned up and refinished. We did that. The zippers in the head liner and on the cushion covers may need to have the "pulls" replaced. Those are under a buck each, but do take some fussy work to put on.
Check the bases of the stanchions for cracking. There is no coring under them, but we had a couple that needed to have a void filled where the factory did not completely fill in the slope to the base level. Like all boats of that age, check for moisture under the decks and especially the lid on the anchor locker. A good surveyor will moisture-meter the deck and also sound it.... as on any boat.
So much depends on how well or ill recent owners have treated it.
When we bought ours, the top of the rudder tube had the bronze stuffing box loose -- our surveyor made the seller get it repaired.

Ours also had to have the exhaust elbow replaced due to corrosion/perforation. Salt water will accelerate things like that.
Take notes and lots of pix. Let us know what you find out.

Last edited:

poolnickv

Thanks for the information Loren, looks like I'll have to find a good surveyor in Seattle then if I like the boat.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Poolnickv, When I bought my 911 (the 30' version of O34) last year I had no idea... 1) How well the boat sails. It's fast yet very maneuverable. 2) how comfortable the cockpit and rail is. 3) How roomy the side decks are for crew. Especially for fore deck crew. These were things that I was unaware of because I had never sailed or crewed on this model. BTW - after down below is very livable. I sometimes think I have two boats. A racer and a live aboard. Glad they are the same boat!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Poolnickv, When I bought my 911 (the 30' version of O34) last year I had no idea... 1) How well the boat sails. It's fast yet very maneuverable. 2) how comfortable the cockpit and rail is. 3) How roomy the side decks are for crew. Especially for fore deck crew. These were things that I was unaware of because I had never sailed or crewed on this model. BTW - after down below is very livable. I sometimes think I have two boats. A racer and a live aboard. Glad they are the same boat!
We were also pleasantly surprised by the raw speed and just how easy it is sail it fast even for duffers like us. The "full on" cruising interior is really nice. We have vacationed for a month on board full time up in the Gulf Islands and the San Juan's. Sleeping areas are all long, too. Big fore peak and aft cabin berths.

Last edited:

Lakesailor

Thanks Loren, I'll hopefully be taking a look at her this Sat.

Any input on what to lookout for?
A few things....always check the area around the chain plates and look for signs of leaks, also have a good look in bilge and keel bolts as well. I would also look over the engine maint. to see how well looked after it has been, Another question is when was the boat last hauled out and what is the status of the bottom. Final thought is to ask for a recent survey. Good luck!

poolnickv

A few things....always check the area around the chain plates and look for signs of leaks, also have a good look in bilge and keel bolts as well. I would also look over the engine maint. to see how well looked after it has been, Another question is when was the boat last hauled out and what is the status of the bottom. Final thought is to ask for a recent survey. Good luck!
Thank you too for the input.

poolnickv

Well I took a look at this Olson34 today. She's in decent shape and I'll be putting an offer in continent on a sea trial and marines survey.

Seems like her standing rigging is all original. I figure that needs to be replaced after 31 years. Probably will need a fresh set of sails (main/head) too. Bottom probably needs to be repainted too. Does anyone have a rough range of what those items cost? Im figuring about 15-18k for all of that but Im not sure.

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You might want to contact a couple of sailmakers and get at least a quote for their dacron and basic composite offerings. I would guess that it's a tall rig, but really do not know. My opinion about overlap would be that a 135 for an everyday genoa is plenty, if anyone were to ask.
Keep us informed & updated. :)

Lakesailor

Well I took a look at this Olson34 today. She's in decent shape and I'll be putting an offer in continent on a sea trial and marines survey.

Seems like her standing rigging is all original. I figure that needs to be replaced after 31 years. Probably will need a fresh set of sails (main/head) too. Bottom probably needs to be repainted too. Does anyone have a rough range of what those items cost? Im figuring about 15-18k for all of that but Im not sure.

Thanks for everyone's help so far!
I think your estimate is fairly close...more rigging to replace on a double spreader rig for sure and being a MH a new main and a good furling genoa will not be cheap either. The bottom, if it has not been done for awhile, may also add to the costs. Hopefully you can get the boat at a good price that reflects some of what you will need to invest in it. Let us know how it turns out for you. Good luck!

poolnickv

Well my offer was accepted, and I've been trying to find the right folk who are available for surveys here in the PNW.

Many of the marine surveyors seem very busy. I have the owner from Auxiliary Engine doing a mechanical survey and hopefully a marine surveyor can be found this week.

I'm not sure I'll really need a rig surveyor since I plan on replacing the rig anyways as it appears to be 31 years old. Anyone here know how long rig replacement takes?

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Be ready to wait. My sailmaker said that all the new owners of boats because of COVID are placing orders for sails. He has 70 orders to fill.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
No personal experience but we chatted for a while about boats and surveys, several years ago at his little booth at the Seattle show. Some other sailors on the "Cascadia" list have spoken well of him. You might contact him for an interview.
(I doubt that he recalls our conversation, but he did gift me with a free ticket to the show!)
Seemed knowledgable, but that's all subjective. (!)
Good luck,
Loren

poolnickv

No personal experience but we chatted for a while about boats and surveys, several years ago at his little booth at the Seattle show. Some other sailors on the "Cascadia" list have spoken well of him. You might contact him for an interview.
(I doubt that he recalls our conversation, but he did gift me with a free ticket to the show!)
Seemed knowledgable, but that's all subjective. (!)
Good luck,
Loren
I found Steve Berg to do the survey for me next week. I am also having someone from Auxiliary Engines to check 9out the Yanmar for me too...