• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1GM10 shifter cable info please

wynkoop

Member III
So as those of you who have read my ramblings know I am in the endgame of replacing my Palmer P60 with a Yanmar 1GM10.

I was able to reuse the throttle cable from the Palmer and the Choke Cable became the stop cable with a little home made clamp arrangement, but I need a shifter cable. The old teleflex 5/16th cable from the Palmer is frozen and the end at the shifter broke off when I tried to move it.

I tried talking to the teleflex folks about the right cable choice and they said talk to the transmission maker! Well first they said talk to the person who installed the replacement engine. I told the guy I have been talking to myself for almost 60 years!

If one of you that has a 1GM10 knows what your shifter cable is I would greatly appreciate it. I think the shifter cable is my last real hurdle.

I do promise a nice write up with photos of my repowering when it is done and Silver Maiden has had sea trials, which will be before the end of March since my marina is being turned into an amazon warehouse!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I may be missing the point, but Teleflex cables (formerly Morse) are pretty basic. Some old cables have identification marked on them. Some West Marine stores have them in stock, so you can eyeball them. For most of us length is the only question.

lshifter cable clamp.JPG...shifter 2.JPG

Attachments

• shifter 1.JPG
    shifter 1.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 6
  • shifter 1.JPG
    shifter 1.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 6

wynkoop

Member III
Christian-

Thanks so much for the photos of your boat. I had not thought of turning around the shifter lever 180 degrees. Mine sticks up. Will have to see if I have room to flip it. If I do it will remove one loop I was trying to work out how to run.

So a bit more of the story so folks understand why I am asking.

My old cable is toast, and was the cable for the old engine. It might be fine for me to go with a duplicate of that cable, which is the 5/16th inch Teleflex, which goes for well over $150 from what I have found.

I somewhat doubt the 1GM10 requires such a heavy cable.

To select the proper cable I need to know two things from what I have been able to figure out, the size of the cable and the throw.

If I had a local chandler with a good stock of cables I could just walk in move the cables and see if they have the throw I need, which I still need to measure. I do not have such a place in New York City. The West Marine here had no cables when last I was there a couple of months ago.

Teleflex, which now goes under the name seastarsolutions.com and something else which starts with a D and escapes me at the moment seems to not have good published specs on their cables. When I called them to ask questions the guy at first said I needed to get the info from whoever did the repower for me. Then when I told him I was doing the repower he basically said he could not help me, but if I put anything smaller than a 5/16th cable on my shifter the cable would break. I call BS on that. There is nothing size specific about the shifter in my E-27, but he was unwilling to provide any specs unless I wanted to buy a new shifter as well.

I suspect the 1GM10 transmission takes one of the smaller cables and if someone can pass on to me what cable they have by number or size of thread that would be great. If not I suspect I will have to find a stocking dealer and go test the throw of cables and give my money indirectly to a company who seems to have no regard for the people that want to buy their products.

I really found the seastarsolutions.com tech guy very rude and unhelpful.

wynkoop

Member III
Just off the phone with Scott at http://uflexusa.ultraflexgroup.com/ in Florida and he was very helpful. He knew what the 1gm10 shifter needed, gave me three options on cables that would work and that they have sold for 1GM10 shifter applications. He then pointed me to exactly where in their PDF catalog the end pieces were located so I could chose the correct end pieces.

So now I am pretty much set after I measure the length of the old cable.

After trying to deal with Teleflex these folks in Florida are a real breath of fresh air!

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Just curious - why do you think that your new Yanmar engine should require a lighter weight cable than your old engine? Is there something different about the engine that makes you think it would require less force to operate?

It seem that an engine control, if broken, could cause one substantial property damage. I know you can apply that argument to a lot of items on a boat, but I'd sure want to feel good that I had 'enough' cable on my engine controls.

wynkoop

Member III
goldenstate-

The old engine was a Palmer P-60 and used a 5/16" cable for the shifter. The shifter was much harder to move on that engine, and probably just like the P-60 & A-4's being the smallest marine engines available in 1974 I suspect the 5/16" cables may have been the smallest available.

If the old cable was not frozen I would have just reused it, but it was frozen beyond all repair and I broke the end off trying to free it.

Why am I looking at a smaller cable? Cost is a big factor. the 5/16" cable is well over $150 whereas the 10-32 cable is in the $30 range. I am unemployed and do not have the spare cash to go 5x the needed cost. I have a deadline of April 1 to get the boat operational and out of the marina that is becoming an Amazon transshipment center.

I have also discovered from speaking to the nice folks at uflex that 10-32 is the cable size usually specified for the transmission on a 1GM10.

So far as a broken shift cable leading to property damage, maybe, but I am very conservative and operate my little boat the same way I operated freighters when I was a deck officer, which is to say plenty of safety margin. As one of my instructors used to say at the academy, "If you can see the closing between you and the dock you are moving too fast"

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
If you're buying the right cable for your transmission, no argument to be made and no sense in overdoing it.

As an aside I am a little befuddled, however as to the sizing nomenclature. 10-32 usually means a #10 sized screw with 32 threads per inch.
I had assumed 5/16 referred to the diameter of the housing in inches, but I think it is the diameter of the connecting bolt at the end.

Here's a pdf overview from Teleflex I found, describing some different types of engine control cables.

It seems like the biggest difference is the format of the connector at the end. I wonder if the actual diameter of the cable in the housing changes much between these different types. I suppose if you buy the 10-32 you'll also buy some new connectors to link the 10-32 to your control handles.

I'm currently working to improve the operation of my engine controls, but I have found the stickiness has much less to do with the cable and much more to do with the delrin bushings on my pedestal.

wynkoop

Member III
goldenstate-

I was referring to the size of the screw threads on the end of the cable because it seems there are slightly different nomenclatures from different makers for the same size cable. 5/16" x 24 thread is the largest that seems to be in general use in small vessels. That is what the Palmer had.

10-32 is the smallest in general use from what I found.

I have no idea the actual cable size inside the sheath, but by looking at the pictures of multiple sizes next to each other it is clear the cable sheaths are smaller on the 10-32 than the 1/4 x 24 and that is smaller than cables that terminate in 5/16 x 24.

wynkoop

Member III
Ken-

The catalog for uflex is linked right on the front page of their site. Hit the link above and you will see the link to the catalog right under the picture of the powerboat.