• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

2006 Rendezvous

chrism

Inactive Member
Alright everyone -

We need to do this. Let's get together and set up a rendezvous! I've seen SO many Ericsons in Rhode Island, Connecticut, and on Long Island... where are you all? I've seen very few in Massachusetts, but we still exist. Let's do it this year!

Any ideas for a location? Where has it been held in the past?

Chris

Andrew Palmer

Chris,
I would be interested. I have been mooring in Bristol RI, ( Live in Mass ) but could easily head north (cutty hunk? cape ? ) I have a E31 Independence and would love to get back around the Boston Harbor area for a visit. -Andrew

John Bouchard

Member II
Rendevous

Andy,

I come from RI (South Kingstown), and now live in Norwood, MA, and my Ericson 32 (Re-Quest) is moored in Pocasset, MA. I have a good friend who also has an E32 (Carpe Diem), which is moored about 200 feet from me! I had another friend who lived in Manomet (MA), and moored his Ericson 29 or 30 in Duxbury. He has since moved to Tampa, and sold his boat before he left. I don't know of its whereabouts these days.

We sailed both E32s up the Sakonnet River this summer, through Mt. Hope Bay, down to Jamestown/Newport for a couple of days, and then back up to Cuttyhunk, Woods Hole, and then back to Barlow's Landing in Pocasset.

Anyway, regarding a rendevous.... sailing up to Boston would take some time, especially for you, and would involve several vacation days, I would think. I couldn't commit that many days to a get-together.

Also, note that Chris Mathews' note is dated July of 2004. Let's see if he still monitors this thread, which now consists of three! Chris is in Scituate (MA!), and we three (or four, if my friend Mark (Carpe Diem) would go) could get together rather easily up this way or Cuttyhunk, or someplace!

Andrew Palmer

John,
Sounds like you had a good trip,-- And went in the correct direction. The south wind can be a challenge coming out of the Sakonnet. How do you like Pocasset. I have passed thru, but never stuck around. How is the traffic back and forth? I might be ready for a change from the Bristol area. ( approx 5 yrs) I was once in Hingham Ma with a smaller boat, but even then ( 8 -10 yrs ago) it was expensive, but the sailing was always good. I keep the boat up the Taunton River in the off season. Its a easy commute (10- 15min down rt 24 from 495) for the winter / spring projects.

John Bouchard

Member II
Chris,

I guess I looked at the wrong side for the post date - and I guess the "..this year" threw me off, as I thought you were referring to "this season!

Sorry 'bout that! Anyway, maybe we can "rendevous" next season.

Andy, did you mention where you live in Massachusetts, or did I miss that, too. As far as traffic to Pocasset, as long as you get over the bridge (Bourne) before 9 AM or so, it usually isn't a problem. The rental changeouts are usually at noon on Saturday, so the traffic does get backed up at the bridge from 10 or so until about 1 PM.

On the way home on Sunday nights, it can get backed up a bit on 495 - but there are a couple of routes that we take (usually rte. 28) off the beaten path to avoid long delays. In the event of major tie-up, such as an accident, I've even headed down 195 to 140 or other and get over to 24 that way.

I have to travel about 75 miles from Norwood to Barlows Landing, and it usually takes me about 75 minutes.

I have a mooring from the town of Bourne, and it costs $150 per year. Also, I've always heard that the wind is much more reliable in Buzzards Bay. Once every 3 or 4 trips to Provincetown it has been dead calm on Cape Cod Bay.

My boat usually winters on the hard in Cataumet, and it is a drag to drive down there to work on it.

Gotta go.... let's see if others look at this "Northeast" thread.

John B.

chrism

Inactive Member
John Bouchard said:
I've always heard that the wind is much more reliable in Buzzards Bay

That's the saying! "There's always wind on Buzzards Bay"

Do you winter at Kingman? We hit a mooring block last year in Red Brook Harbor and had to haul out and have the chunk that was taken out fixed at Kingman.

John Bouchard

Member II
Red Brook Harbor

Red Brook Harbor and Barlow's Landing (where our mooring is...) seem to be slowly filling in... There's been talk of Barlows needing dredging. I know that we have nudged a couple of mooring blocks this season, but that's because the moon tides have been exagerated this year.

Our E32, Re-Quest, is stored over the winter in Cataumet, at Squeteague Sailmakers.

We hope to head out tomorrow, and we may overnight at Woods Hole. We have another mooring in Little Harbor down there, although there is usually a vacant one available anyway, especially this time of year.

We'll probably haul out in a few weeks.

Do you live in Scituate? My wife's brother/family live on Sedgwick Drive or Lane or...? in Scituate. Nice town!

I work in Boston. Let's keep in touch.

John B.

chrism

Inactive Member
I'm about a mile from Sedgewick Drive.

How's the anchorage by Bassets Island? That might be a good spot.

Would love to meet up with you next time we're down there. Kingman is always our first stop after the Scituate-Canal run.

John Bouchard

Member II
Basset Island Anchorage

I've never anchored at Bassett's directly off from Kingman's. On certain weekend nights there are a lot of boats over there. But I imagine a weekday evening or two would work pretty well. It's well protected from the usual SW wind. We have anchored and/or picked up moorings in "Mill Pond," which is at Bassett's, but opposite Wing's Neck. If you're looking at a chart, Barlow's Landing should be shown to the north of Bassett. That's where our mooring (and friend Mark (Brockton) - 1974 E32) is located.

We'll be thinking about locations. Andrew would be coming a long way...from RI. So Woods Hole / Hadley might be another option - although, again, it would be farther for you! We have another mooring in Little Harbor at Woods Hole, and I think a few boats would be able to squeeze in there. Vineyard Haven (Martha's Vineyard) is only an hour from there...

We'll work it out. A few cold months coming up to think about it!

Andrew Palmer

Cuttyhunk is one long day, which makes it great for me. After that I'm talking about a long week-end- which always seems like you should just keep going and quit your job! Andrew :)

Ernest

Member II
NE group

We are based in Stamfor CT and would come up to Buzzards Bay for a get together. Ernie Schlesinger

Steve

Member III
When and Where ?

Like anything else, unless it's pushed and reminded all winter and spring... well you get the picture... we tend to let it catch us off gaurd at the last moment for planning a weekend+. (Maybe several weekends, since not all will make it.)

Count me in, ... if I remember!

Prehaps Cuttyhunk, Block, Jamestown, or Tarpon Cove .. all nice thoughts... Jamestown or Block likey have the most for everyone... Picking where the east-west and north-south coast meet makes some sense for the ease of southern and northern folks to come.

Steve
E35-3 Amazing Grace
Noank, CT

Steve

Member III
Kiss Princple

Yea... my post sat for some time... come spring there will be a flurry of activity... all last minute I think we should just set up a couple of 2006 weekends -open ended. State we will be anchored at Block's Great Salt Pond in some corner, come over and say hi, VHF net at... etc... and see what happens... can't get any simplier then that. If anyone comes great, if not.. no big deal

Block is a thought, even Napatree (Watch Hill, RI) could be a plan B if weather becomes a factor.

Steve

Lawdog

Member III
Maine Mid-Winter Rendezvous

Maine Ericson Owner's Association

Date: January 14 and 15th
Place: Capt. Daniel Stone Inn, Brunswick 207-725-9898. Speak with Debra
Washburn, and make sure she knows you're with MEOA.

Dinner Deadline: December 31, 2005 to Email, Call, Snail Mail or See Me to
let us know you are coming.

There are new arrangements this year - all you need to do is tell us you are
coming.
There will be a limited menu of which to choose your meals at the dinner
(fish, steak, chicken, pasta), so we don't need to know ahead of time. We
will be asked to commit to our meals during the pre-dinner social gathering.
If, however, you require special food/preparation, you should call the inn
to give them your order in advance.

Room Reservation Deadline: December 13

As many of you know, we try to make a weekend out of this, so you are
welcome to come early and stay late: rooms are $135/night and you should
call the Inn directly by December 13 to reserve a room. We have a block of
rooms reserved for Friday and Saturday night which they will let go if you
do not make your reservation by DECEMBER 13th!!!

Kim Palermo
MEOA Secretary
94 Elm Street
Camden, ME 04843
207-236-7420 (H)
207-236-2896 (O)

Mike Dahill

Northeast 2006 Rendezvous

We would definitly be intersted. We're in Buzzards Bay - how about somewher between between Narragansett Bay and Provincetown

Mike Dahill
E35-III #130

Steve

Member III
Locations

I for one is very open to location suggestions. Looks like we have a very active Maine organization. However unless planned with a serious vacation status, tough for us southern new england based boats to make it a down east summer weekend.

Mike...if your in buzzards, what's your thoughts on CH, I've been lucky and unlucky there, otherwise room inside versus outside anchorage? Tarpon has room but no amanities. What are the main land (MA) harbors like, any thoughts or cheap places ! .. S Dartmouth area and north ?

Steve