• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

2019 Rendez Vous Loction-Poll

Where Should It Be Held

• Everett

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Langley, WA

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My vote for Pt Townsend is sort of provisional. They have treated visiting boating groups - not just ours- with disrespect in past years. We need to have a better commitment from them for honoring the grouping of pre-registered slips. Last couple times they randomly assigned other drop-in boats to "our" spots and then arbitrarily put some of our boats at the other end of the marina at Pt Hudson. I found them somewhat diffident to deal with -- not unfriendly, but not very interested either.

That said, I know that the BC visitors seem to really like that location, and it's great to have a lot of them visiting us.

When we have moved the gathering further down the Sound to accommodate the members from the lower Sound, almost no one showed up. OTOH, in the past we have had Ericson's from Olympia come up to PT. (go figure....)
:)

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
There are some nice locations in the San Juan islands that are easily accessible from Canada and the US that might be suitable.
Maybe a chat with the Port Townsend marina manager could address the concerns that Lorne raised, and give an assurance of better service.
Frank

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I voted "Port Townsend" but, I'm up for wherever.

To Loren's note, my preference would be to NOT have it at the main Port Townsend marina ("Boat Haven"). Yes, it's closer to town but it's a drab little marina.

If we do end up having it at Port Townsend, I think we should target the Point Hudson marina from the outset. Smaller, good gathering areas, decent seafood restaurant right there at the marina, plus not too far from town, and frankly a lot less claustrophobic (just my opinion) than the main marina. It's smaller, my guess is we'd be hard pressed to get more than 12-15 slips, and I don't know what their reservation policy is, but... it's worth a try.

Bruce

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I just called and left a message for Point Hudson, asking about their ability to host 15-20 boats. I'll let you know what I hear back.

"in general" (2018 rate schedule), the cost would be $1.25/foot/night, with a non-refundable reservation-fee of 10 bucks for each reservation. I'd expect 2019 to be the same.

*if* we end up going to Point Hudson, I'd be happy to front the reservation fee for a block of slips. Attendees can pay me back with good scotch (grin)

We're a ways away from that, though.... to start with, we have a couple of decisions to make, and it would be great to get more people engaged....

1) Point Hudson, or somewhere else?
2) if Point Hudson, what dates? July 5-6-7 (which might be hard to get), or July 12-13-14, or...?

I'm happy to help with logistics and legwork... but I'm on airplanes too much right now to be the "coordinator", so... there's that.

Bruce

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I vote strongly against Port Townsend. Every time I have been there since 2012 with club cruises, Ericson cruises and smaller cruises, the treatment of cruisers has been cavalier. It's like "We have the best location so we can treat you like dirt". I would prefer almost anywhere else.

Langely was too small and I know several Ericsons didn't come because they couldn't get a slip. Those that came found a horrible rolling anchorage and no protection. Nice spot, though. Other than that, There's Anacortes, Friday Harbor ,Deer Harbor, Port Ludlow. Has anyone been to Port Haddlock or Oak Harbor to check them out? People don't seem to like sailing the straights so that would leave Port Angeles and Sequim out.

Hard choice.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Anacortes, Friday Harbor, Deer Harbor, Port Ludlow...Port Haddlock or Oak Harbor

I'd be good with any of those. My preference is to have it someplace quiet and scenic, Deer Harbor would be nice. Depending on how many boats, Rosario might be an option, too.

Anacortes and Friday Harbor both have US-entry docks, that may be a plus for our Canadian brethren...

(I'd be fine with PA or Sequim, too...)

907Juice

Continuously learning
Let’s roll in ALASKA!!!!! Just playing. I would love to make it to a function but with the earthquake and trying to visit families this month, I’m pretty swamped. I will be in the Portland dec 14-20 ish if anyone wants to grab a meal or anything. First (maybe) few rounds on me.

Last edited:

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
I was planning a cruise up to the SJI's the week of the 4th of July, so having it around that time would be great for me to stop in and say hey :) Otherwise I'm pretty flexible with time off.

This is my first year with the boat, and sailing in the Sound generally, so I don't have much of an opinion on where we go, other than stateside being preferred.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Juice,

Don't you mean "Lets Rock and Roll in Alaska". I believe there's been more than 1000 aftershocks. I know, from going through Loma Pereda, that the water gets pretty jittery. Come south and get a good night's sleep. :rolleyes:

907Juice

Continuously learning
Juice,

Don't you mean "Lets Rock and Roll in Alaska". I believe there's been more than 1000 aftershocks. I know, from going through Loma Pereda, that the water gets pretty jittery. Come south and get a good night's sleep. :rolleyes:

Ha! Yeah it is close to about 3000 now with maybe 20-30 aftershocks over 4.0.

They water changes rapidly but mostly mostly it is the dense wind. Maybe someone smarter than me knows better, but since it is colder, it hits harder. Apparently a 15k wind is stronger here than a 15k wind in the Caribbean.

leaving Saturday for 2 weeks to visit family in Arizona and Portland. Offer still stands if anyone wants to hook up.

KTROBI_VALHALLA

Member II
Hi All. Since there seems to be a little push-back with Port Townsend as a destination, I am just a little curious as to whether anybody thinks the Port of Bellingham might be a good alternative. I have zero experience with the marinas there, so feedback might be helpful. If I recall correctly, when the gathering was on the US side, we have had better Canadian participation at those ports closest to the border. It seems Bellingham might make the destination more attractive for those traveling from up north. For southerners, the Swinomish Channel form Skagit Bay to Padilla Bay / Bellingham Bay is an option to avoid weather in the Straiit. Just an idea.

wurzner

Member III
Swinomish Channel

Hi Kevin, we are both deep draft boats and I transit the channel routinely each year. Yes, it means keeping an eye transit times since I typically like 2.5 with a flood, but it is pretty doable and no more an inconvenience then Cattle, Deception, or Marrowstone. For the time it takes to transit Bellingham bay, Anacortes is a pretty reasonable alternative with a nice assortment of places to provision and eat...al within walking distance. Port Townsend is nice, but we would need some kind of commitment from them. Both Anacortes and PT have a nice room we can use if the weather is not cooperating.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I would prefer Anacortes over Bellingham. Bellingham is a little far north and it has a somewhat tricky entrance for first timers. Many boats have gotten stuck there

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Anacortes would be great, and would let me work this nicely into my plans to cruise SJI's next summer.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Poking this back to the top of the attention-radar.

Any consensus? We seem to be orbiting around "not Port Townsend"; either Anacortes or Bellingham would suit the purposes of being easy for both WA'ers and BC'ers... both have customs docks, facilities, etc. Maybe add Blaine to the mix, too?

Anyone familiar with the marinas? (Blaine, Bellingham/Squalicum, Anacortes/Skyline Marina, Anacortes/Cap Sante marina, or elsewhere) know if there are opportunities to have 15-25 boats together, with facilities for social-gatherings (pot-luck, etc)? Bonus points if the locale is walking distance to interesting things, restaurants, whatever, but still doesn't feel like it's in the middle of a freeway...

Bruce

lochinvar

A vote for Anacortes

Hello,
Shawn Fenwick here, I'm a new owner of an '85 32-3; "Tallulah". Former owner of an E-27, an Irwin 30 and a few other sailing vessels.

I'm a lurker here and want to come forward and toss my hat in the ring. I sailed "Tallulah" (formerly "Pizzazz") from Anacortes to Olympia when I bought her this last June. On the way I stopped at PT and frankly was underwhelmed. Details is sorta a two-beer story. I know that is not really a vote for condemnation, but Anacortes was much more alive, seemed to have much more to offer a group as I was near Cap Sante. Any more details or fine points about either places and I'm afraid I can't help. I hope there's no test for entry...

I have a slip in Olympia and am up for this coming year's Ericson rendy-voo.

Hope that's enough for a vote "in". If I will have to send a cup of blood or some bones or something, let me know. Heh...

-Shawn

Second Star

Member III
Voting between Anacortes (never been) and PT (agree with many of the neg comments here) either one will work for Second Star.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Pol is active again

The time window for voting in the Pol had ended recently, and since the subject would seem to be more pertinent than ever, I opened it again by extending the closure date.

Loren