• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

2020 NW Rendezvous Location

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There was a little discussion yesterday about 2020 (next year) at the pot luck. No decision at all, but some are thinking about it.
While I have enjoyed all of the past destinations, like Maple Bay, it's totally up our BC Viking neighbors.
(No harm in expressing destination wishes by us South-of-the-border Vikings, but the planning and preparation will be local...)

Discuss among your selves - note that you can always privately email or message each other by clicking on a name here and choosing a private contact method.
Some owners find it difficult due to time or distance constraints to participate by boat, so it's good to have it in a marina with hi way (or air) access.

Try for a location where most everyone will be on one dock and where there is a covered meeting area.

BTW, Anecortes (Cap Sante Marine) has every facility we could want and the staff there has a welcoming and helpful attitude. Having a Safeway store and a West Marine a short walk away is handy, too.

So, take off your pointed helmets and put on your thinking caps. Do not wait until January to get this nailed down.
:egrin:

Thanks so much.
Loren

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We get an invitation

While waiting for some input from the BC Viking contingent, we need to keep this thread active.
Choosing a destination is important.
While it is customary for us to meet on the US side of the border every other year, like 2021 next, I did get a phone call today from another US marina.
Faith Reese, Port Assistant at the Port of Kingston, called to let me know that they are very interested in hosting us at their marina.
She knows it might be 2021, but would welcome us sooner if we want to go there.

https://portofkingston.org

Inquiries to: info@portofkingston.org

or just call her.

So please post where and when you want to have the next "Gathering of the Vikings".

And also, the When.... How about the weekend of July 11 and 12 ??

Thanks,
Loren

Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
How about the weekend of July 11 and 12 ??

I have to be somewhere else the weekend of 7/11-12 next year.

Not that the Rendezvous should be planned around "me", but would love to attend if possible. Either the prior weekend or the following weekend would work better for me.

Bruce

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When? and also the Where?

I have to be somewhere else the weekend of 7/11-12 next year.

Not that the Rendezvous should be planned around "me", but would love to attend if possible. Either the prior weekend or the following weekend would work better for me.

Bruce

If we want to use the weekend adjacent to the holiday weekend, there may be conflicts with the plans of other owners, and perhaps more important there may be very fewer destinations that are not already booked. If going to a harbor in BC, perhaps no more crowded than any other summer weekend.
If going later, like July 18 weekend, that might work well -- dependent as usual on what the EY owners want to do. In the past, we used to meet up late in June and always had some folks that were affected by the Fathers Day weekend. Then, we looked at nearest one around the 4th, and if in US waters the marinas were mostly booked up.
If you are into statistical permutations..... you could build a matrix for this.
:rolleyes:

You have to consider, motoring distance, time allowed for Customs clearance both ways, and the limitations of using vacation time off from work.
Over time, the one bit of helpful news is the refining of the "phone in" Customs clearance procedures going both ways (at least when the US version functions as advertised).

Let's see what other likely attendees will want to do.

Last edited:

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
We have a SYC trip to Barkley Sound this summer, looks like they're targeting July 17-24. I'm planning to take 3 weeks, so I can be up in that area either beforehand (Weekend of 7/11-12) or after (Weekend of 7/25-26, even 8/1 - 8/2.).

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Rendezvous Planning: October version...

I'm a relatively new member to the group. Where has the group met in B.C. and how is it generally organized?

Shannon

If you put the word 'rendezvous' into the site search box you will get some links to past discussion threads.
Actually the Google search engine works better....
Start with 'ericsonyachts.org' and then add a relevant word like 'rendezvous'

Suggestions by site members here get put in in this thread. A vote can be solicited in a new thread.

Finally someone, hopefully in the BC waters, makes a decision and calls and schedules the group with a marina for a specific weekend. At that point everyone can call in or email to get their individual reservation pinned down.

Once you declare a date and place, you will find that some EY owners: 1) like/accept it and immediately register with them, 2) some cannot be there due to unresolvable conflicts, 3) some can change their summer plans to include this stop because they had enough notice ahead of time, and 4) a few will register and have to cancel later.

A number of things have to be in cosmic alignment for most of us to plan to move our 9 to 15 thousand pound Ericson 'floating rv' to a distant location at a certain point in time.
For a few of us, there is the additional trip from "here" to "there" --- about a week altogether.

Actually just Having a Place and Date to plan around before December, is a really Really Good concept.
Next July creeps up petty quickly.

October 31 reference: (RHS) lyric: "It's astounding, Time is fleeting, Madness takes it's toll... !"
:devil:
:D

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi Shannon,

In addition to Loren's post above, the rendezvous generally alternates between a US site and a BC site, and in 2020 it's BC turn to host. It has been held in the recent past at Maple Bay marina and Genoa Bay marina, and both were successful. An optimal marina will have enough guest slips for about 20 of our Ericsons (some years more, some less), will be fairly easily accessible from the US and for BC boaters as far north as Campbell River. It will have an outdoor area (with tent top in case of rain) for a gathering of all the boaters. It helps if there is also a restaurant/bar for those who don't cook, groceries/provisioning for those who need it, liquor store for those who forgot to plan ahead, and a quaint nearby town can help for those who want to stretch their legs a bit. A hotel in reasonable proximity helps for those who bring guests or who drive their car.

Most people arrive by boat, but some by car if their boat can't make it that year. Most arrive Friday evening, some Saturday and most leave Sunday afternoon or Monday morning. There is strong interest in "open house" on the boats so people can see what modifications have been made, familiarize themselves with other models/sizes, etc. and enjoy a drink together.

There is usually a pot luck dinner on Saturday, often preceded by a speaker of some sort--a rigger, sailmaker, mechanically inclined person, etc. who can give a 20 - 30 minute presentation on a topic of general interest and answer some questions. An informal guitar player made for a pleasant after dinner event one year. Loren's wife Cathy has done an amazing job most years to obtain prizes for various things throughout the event and add special touches with decorations, etc. Others have helped as well.

The event is casual, fun and upbeat. It's important to settle on a site/marina and date early, as the marinas get booked up with other rendezvous. Marinas will generally hold slips for a while in anticipation that owners will phone to confirm their reservation. It helps if the marina owner is enthusiastic about hosting the rendezvous and pleasant to deal with.

I've only attended three rendezvous so far, as dates often conflicted with other travel, kids weddings, etc. Others may have more helpful information.

Frank

Last edited:
Organizing

Hi everyone, I can help take a bit of a lead to find a location and date. I will take a look at the past planning info this weekend and put out some options for folks to consider.

Cheers,
Shannon (and Doran)

Rendevous 2020 - BC Vikings

A note to BC Vikings (and any other Vikings) to continue the discussion on locations.

So far, I have Port Sidney Marina, Port Browning and Maple Bay as possibilities. Once we have nailed down a few choices, I will reach out the marina's and see what weekends are available in June and July.

Shannon

Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
So far, I have Port Sidney Marina, Port Browning and Maple Bay as possibilities. Once

May want to add Genoa Bay to the list. I know we were there in 2018, but it was a lovely quiet spot with everything we need (a gathering place, a restaurant, a shop, things to see/do in the area, etc...)

$.02
Bruce

https://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?16749-2020-NW-Rendezvous-Lo

Added, Thanks for the addition.

May want to add Genoa Bay to the list. I know we were there in 2018, but it was a lovely quiet spot with everything we need (a gathering place, a restaurant, a shop, things to see/do in the area, etc...)

$.02
Bruce

Frank Langer

Genoa Bay is a lovely place with very friendly staff at the marina. I hadn't suggested it because the 2018 rendezvous was there, but if folks are ok with a repeat, it should definitely be on the list, near the top. ☺️
One advantage is that the bay has good holding ground for anchorage close to the marina for those who prefer to anchor out. The restaurant is well regarded, and it has a nice covered area for gatherings.
Some of you who attended the 2018 rendezvous there might have some comments.
Frank

2020-NW-Rendezvous-Location

Hello everyone,

I have secured a a couple of different locations and dates to consider. Both have room for a potluck.

Genoa Bay - June 12, June 26, July 10, July 17

Port Sidney Marina -
June 12, June 26, July 10, July 17

Maple Bay Marina - still confirming if they have other alternative dates available in July. The 10th and 17th have tentative bookings and may open up.

One other option is Port Browning Marina on Pender Island. The marina has had some recent upgrades and is a nice alternative location, but there is no customs check in.

Let me know if you want me to do some further digging or if one of the options above will work? Maybe someone can help set up a poll?

Thanks
Shannon

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Another possible location could be Telegraph Harbor on Thietus Island. Great location and excellent grounds. Out YC visits every Memorial Day.

Frank Langer

Telegraph Harbour on Thetis island is a nice marina, and one of the most popular marinas for a rendezvous in the Gulf islands, so they may well be booked up already for any of those weekends. The only downside that I'm aware of, having been to that marina many times over the years, is that they have long docks to tie up to, rather than individual fingers, and if the boat at the front end of that dock wants to leave, they have to back all the way down between the boats on either side of those long docks, which are fairly close together. Aside from that, it's a nice location. However, there are no restaurants or towns nearby, just a nice marina.
Frank

2020 NW Rendezvous locatio

Thanks Frank and Bob,

I'm hoping we can set up a poll with the current options and include an option to explore other locations. Maple bay have indicated they will get back to me early next week to co form dates and times. Three potential options and then an other?

thoughts?

Frank Langer

Hi Shannon,

I think a poll would be a good idea, to get a general opinion of dates and location preferences. Probably Loren or Christian could advise on how to set that up.

I think Maple Bay, Genoa Bay, Sidney or Port Browning would be good options, each with advantages and disadvantages, and leaving room for a new suggestion might be a good idea.

I had really hoped to attend this year, as I have missed the last couple of years due to two weddings in our family. However, our daughter just informed us that she is expecting her second child in late June, so my wife and I will probably be busy through most of July babysitting the older child and helping with the new one. So it's unlikely that I will be able to attend, unless the 2020 rendezvous is in very late July. We'll see...

Frank

Congratulations!

Hi Shannon,

I think a poll would be a good idea, to get a general opinion of dates and location preferences. Probably Loren or Christian could advise on how to set that up.

I think Maple Bay, Genoa Bay, Sidney or Port Browning would be good options, each with advantages and disadvantages, and leaving room for a new suggestion might be a good idea.

I had really hoped to attend this year, as I have missed the last couple of years due to two weddings in our family. However, our daughter just informed us that she is expecting her second child in late June, so my wife and I will probably be busy through most of July babysitting the older child and helping with the new one. So it's unlikely that I will be able to attend, unless the 2020 rendezvous is in very late July. We'll see...

Frank

exciting news! Congrats. I’ll get a poll going and see where we land. Maybe we will have to consider Nanaimo so that it is a bit easier for you to attend.