• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

2021 CYC Race to Mackinac

Jerry VB

E32-3 / M-25XP
Sailing the Chicago To Mackinac Race 2021 (YouTube)

Description:
Team Vichingo packs up and heads to the freshwater of the Great Lakes to compete in the iconic Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac. This challenging race is widely known for its unpredictable conditions, rapidly developing weather, and steeped tradition. Join the crew of the Italia Yachts 9.98 Vichingo as they test their preparedness, preparation, and yacht in one of the most unforgettable Mac Races in recent history!

p.gazibara

Member III
What a bummer!

Are you going with a carbon fiber mast?

Ballinger spars in Santa Cruz CA has made a couple of Olson 34 spars. One was carbon, the other aluminum.

Bruce Nesbit while he owned Razzberries replaced his mast as a preventive measure when he observed cracking around the topping lift exit pulley. It is in the same proximity as the second spreader. I have never seen any signs of similar cracks on my rig, but it is something to ponder. It should be noted that Bruce sailed a couple of Transpacs possibly stressing the rig. That said, it is a downwind race for the most part unlike your beat into square chop.

Do you use running back stays in those conditions? Also, do you have the short or tall mast?

Charle
I would also suggest Buzz. We have a Ballenger spar in Cinderella (35-2). The spar is 2" longer than a stock Express 34 rig. We stopped in and met Buzz when we sailed south from Seattle and got to Santa Cruz. Extrememly knowledgeable guy.

We had the port lower shroud fail en route to the Tuamotus, about a 500nm passage from the Maquesas. Fortunately we were reefed at the time and only flying the main as we were sailing slowly trying to time the entrance current at one of the atolls. I never want to see an aluminum extrusion bend so much again. With the help of some friends (buddy boating), we made it into the atoll and used our Dyneems lifelines to jury rig and sail to Tahiti another 300 or so NM.

We have since gone with fiber rigging, but that Ballenger spar is still standing. He said he only knows of 2 express rigs that have failed both met their fate racing with the backstay off and a big kite supplying compression that inverted the rigs.

-P