• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

2021 Rendez Vous Planning?

wurzner

Member III
Hellow Vikings

First off..I hope you all had a Merry Christmas and this message finds you all safe and healthy, as I am sure you are missing family and friends. Truth be known...me too. In my case, some of those friends are the Vikings that I used to have the privledge of calling myself one as well. I have since sold my boat, but would like to try and meet up if there is a 2021 event in the makings? While my new boat is not a Bruce King design, German Frers and Bruce King share some common design considerations! I would enjoy "crashing" the party and keeping in touch with a community of friends I was "officially" part of for ~18 years. So as a former Viking, I look forward to hearing about any possible 2021 events of any kind.

Have a Happy New Year and please stay safe...stay well!

Cheers
Shaun Wurzner
PS. A few photos of the new boat.

Attachments

• 20201122_120124.jpg
    20201122_120124.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 20201122_115945.jpg
    20201122_115945.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot_20201225-213958_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201225-213958_Gallery.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited by a moderator:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hellow Vikings

First off..I hope you all had a Merry Christmas and this message finds you all save and healthy, as I am sure you are missing family and friends. Truth be known...me too. In my case, some of those friends are the Vikings that I used to have the privledge of calling myself one as well. I have since sold my boat, but would like to try and meet up if there is a 2021 event in the makings? While my new boat is not a Bruce King design, German Frers and Bruce King share some common design considerations! I would enjoy "crashing" the party and keeping in touch with a community of friends I was "officially" part of for ~18 years. So as a former Viking, I look forward to hearing about any possible 2021 events of any kind.

Have a Happy New Year and please stay safe...stay well!

Cheers
Shaun Wurzner
PS. A few photos of the new boat.
Wow, that looks like a pretty boat. Can you provide some more details?
And yes, we are looking forward to the next Ericson rendezvous when that becomes possible. Shannon Jones had done alot of good work before the 2020 meet was cancelled, so maybe she could be persuaded to pick it up again.
Frank

wurzner

Member III
Wow, that looks like a pretty boat. Can you provide some more details?
And yes, we are looking forward to the next Ericson rendezvous when that becomes possible. Shannon Jones had done alot of good work before the 2020 meet was cancelled, so maybe she could be persuaded to pick it up again.
Frank
Hi Frank, I feel like I should sit on the sidelines and simply try and figure out how to meet up with you folks. As for the boat, it is hull#1 of 12 Hylas 51's made before they replaced it with the 54. That being said..it is really fun! Getting 10 knots out of it is pretty easy with just the head sail in 17 knots of wind and she really feels good. Not a Santa Cruz 50 or a race boat by any means, but a very spirited 40,000 lb cruiser! Cheers, Shaun

Oh, and being at Semiahmoo...open to the gulf islands too if the border opens!

Shasta

Please keep us in the 2021 Rendezvous loop!
Jeff and Shasta on Sea Gypsy Ericson 36C Blaine, WA

Attachments

• Sea Gypsy at Ft. Browning, BC.jpg
    Sea Gypsy at Ft. Browning, BC.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 19

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Keep me on the list as well. I hope to be moving the boat from Port Townsend to Port Orchard this weekend, but that won't stop anything.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

TKBLACK

Member II
Keep me on the list as well. I hope to be moving the boat from Port Townsend to Port Orchard this weekend, but that won't stop anything.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy
We need a coordinator soon in order to advertise. Any volunteers?
Tom & Karin Black
PSE 34 ACHATES

Frank Langer

Shannon Jones, a fairly new owner of an E30+ in Victoria, BC had done alot of prep before it was cancelled last year, and I think indicated a willingness to organize for 2021. Hopefully she will chime in here again soon.
Frank

TKBLACK

Member II
Shannon Jones, a fairly new owner of an E30+ in Victoria, BC had done alot of prep before it was cancelled last year, and I think indicated a willingness to organize for 2021. Hopefully she will chime in here again soon.
Frank
Thank you Frank. Sounds like perhaps Genoa Bay again? It is a great spot.
10 Mar2021 Tom&Karin, Achates

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Has anyone heard even the slightest hint when the border might be opened? This has already gone way beyond what anyone imagined. The Royal Canadian Government is not giving any clues about reopening. I hope the Coho makes it until then.

Saullincer

Member I
I want to go too. I am in Portland and would like to use the rendezvous as an excuse to seal north. I was scheduled for the 2019 but could not make it.
Saul Lincer
E30+ "Saulty"

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
@Frank Langer absolutely. I will get a thread going in the new year. Maybe we will make it a fall rendezvous to provide some time for things to open up.

Has there been any talk up there about reopening the border? Last I heard your PM was not real excited about having our high rate of infection coming over.... =)

Frank Langer

Has there been any talk up there about reopening the border? Last I heard your PM was not real excited about having our high rate of infection coming over.... =)
Hi Sean
Yeah, there's mixed feelings, with some wanting to get back to normal quickly, and others wanting to be cautious. Vaccinations are happening at a faster rate now, with hopes of having every adult done by July 1st.
Our Prime Minister is trying to find a balance between still being cautious to lower cases, and gradually getting back to more normal.
I think it will depend on level of vaccination and number of cases in each country.
I'm hoping things will ease.
Frank

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Hi Sean
Yeah, there's mixed feelings, with some wanting to get back to normal quickly, and others wanting to be cautious. Vaccinations are happening at a faster rate now, with hopes of having every adult done by July 1st.
Our Prime Minister is trying to find a balance between still being cautious to lower cases, and gradually getting back to more normal.
I think it will depend on level of vaccination and number of cases in each country.
I'm hoping things will ease.
Frank
Yeah, as the son of an MD, I really don't understand people down here. I really wish people would be more cautious in their approach and take the long term view to resolve this situation.

Eventually we'll all get together in Genoa Bay though, and we're looking forward to it (whenever it is)! :egrin:

//sse

Teranodon

Member III
As the crow flies, I live a mere ten miles or so from Canada, and as our cruising season begins I wonder when we will get to visit the wonderful Canadian anchorages and ports. But here is a comparison of normalized COVID cases in the US, Canada and Mexico. Obviously, the dynamics of the pandemic is completely different in each country. I doubt that the borders will open anytime soon.
COVID comp.jpgI'll add that my own border county is fairly unique, and goes to show what can be achieved with an isolated, rural population of responsible people. Population 16,000, only 122 cases since the beginning (none in the last month), zero deaths.

Teranodon

Member III
And another thing:

The whole NEXUS thing seems to have entered some weird zombie state. You can't renew an expired card because the government web site doesn't respond. In the meantime, the fly-by-night site that poses as an official one, and will renew your pass for you while collecting a fee, is up and running. Go figure.

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Heard a while back that BC had extended the border closure through May 27th. Initially they announced it was closed for the rest of 2021, but seems they have gone back to monthly extensions. As our company has plants on both sides of the line, and have weekly conference calls for top staff on Covid we are watching pretty close. I'll post if I hear anything new. But I'd think that a Fall Rendezvous would be a much safer bet than spring/summer.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Last I heard (unofficial, but somewhat reliable)... the border's not going to be open by July. At least not for small-boat clearances.

Which makes the 25 bucks I spent for a 2021 DTOPS sticker a little annoying. Whatever. I'll add it to my list.

In the meantime.... any thoughts gaining momentum for a 2021 rendezvous for the Southern Resident Pod? As much as I love the San Juans, I'd be totally open to meeting somewhere in the south- or central-Sound.

Bremerton? Poulsbo? Gig Harbor? Heck, I'd love an excuse to trek all the way down to Olympia, assuming there's a gathering place with handy restaurants and brew pubs. #Priorities

I'd be fine with a Fall Rendezvous, too. Whatever works for the group. I'd just love to take at least one step back toward "normal life" in 2021, and meeting up with a bunch of EYO'ers would totally check that box.

Bruce

Frank Langer

Last I heard (unofficial, but somewhat reliable)... the border's not going to be open by July. At least not for small-boat clearances.

Which makes the 25 bucks I spent for a 2021 DTOPS sticker a little annoying. Whatever. I'll add it to my list.

In the meantime.... any thoughts gaining momentum for a 2021 rendezvous for the Southern Resident Pod? As much as I love the San Juans, I'd be totally open to meeting somewhere in the south- or central-Sound.

Bremerton? Poulsbo? Gig Harbor? Heck, I'd love an excuse to trek all the way down to Olympia, assuming there's a gathering place with handy restaurants and brew pubs. #Priorities

I'd be fine with a Fall Rendezvous, too. Whatever works for the group. I'd just love to take at least one step back toward "normal life" in 2021, and meeting up with a bunch of EYO'ers would totally check that box.

Bruce
It would be so nice to have an Ericson rendezvous when that becomes possible again!
Frank