• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

2022 NW Rendezvous?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
What with the new spreading Covid variant and the resulting uncertainty for making summer travel plans, it might still be good to have a destination in mind. Planning ahead does not harm.

What about two scenarios -- Plan A: a single destination in BC for all to sail to, border crossing permitting, and Plan B: a US rendezvous *and* a BC rendezvous.
If we keep waiting for the return of the "good old days" we may never go anywhere at all.

Perhaps how about two meeting places & dates, about two weeks apart?
Then, depending on the border situation, some could even attend both.

At this point, there is time yet to compare ideas and schemes.
So let the brain storming begin!
:egrin:

Loren

What with the new spreading Covid variant and the resulting uncertainty for making summer travel plans, it might still be good to have a destination in mind. Planning ahead does not harm.

What about two scenarios -- Plan A: a single destination in BC for all to sail to, border crossing permitting, and Plan B: a US rendezvous *and* a BC rendezvous.
If we keep waiting for the return of the "good old days" we may never go anywhere at all.

Perhaps how about two meeting places & dates, about two weeks apart?
Then, depending on the border situation, some could even attend both.

At this point, there is time yet to compare ideas and schemes.
So let the brain storming begin!
:egrin:

Loren
Happy New Year Loren!

How about we keep it simple this year. Pick a weekend and an anchoring destination on both sides of the border and if it opens up flip a coin to decide on the final location? If it doesn't we have a destination and a weekend.

Based on the last couple of years things seem to settle down in July (for covid cases) and it is a good month. Winter Cove on Saturna is a great anchorage with a good picnic site for gathering. Thoughts?

Shannon

Teranodon

Member III
On the U.S. side, right next to the border are two big, beautiful, safe anchorages: Prevost or Reed on Stuart Island. Great hike to the Turn Point lighthouse. If folks want "services", then Friday Harbor or Anacortes.

On the U.S. side, right next to the border are two big, beautiful, safe anchorages: Prevost or Reed on Stuart Island. Great hike to the Turn Point lighthouse. If folks want "services", then Friday Harbor or Anacortes.
I can't wait to explore these anchorages. They both sound perfect.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
We may need to keep in mind that Canadians will need to check in at US Customs, like Friday Harbour or maybe Roche Harbour before anchoring in US waters. Similarly, American sailors will need to check in at Port Sidney or Poets Cove/Bedwell Harbour before anchoring. That's all quite doable, but deciding on an anchorage near those may be helpful. I once watched a sailor being fined $1200 for anchoring to cook breakfast before proceeding to Customs an hour later - - they had no sympathy or leniency!
Frank

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
I know that at one time Canadians could enter the US by checking in via VHF with Point Roberts. Never did it myself, and this was at least 10 years ago, but it could be worth checking into.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I'd vote for a marina, solely because walking along the docks is more conducive to "gathering" than rowing around an anchorage...

Frank Langer

I agree that a marina may make it easier to connect with everyone, check on boat modifications and projects, etc. Before we cancelled it, the last rendezvous was planned for Genoa Bay marina. It is close to the Canadian customs at Port Sidney, has a good anchorage at the marina if some folks prefer to anchor, and the marina owners are very friendly and it has a great restaurant. It might be a good choice again.
Frank

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I agree that a marina may make it easier to connect with everyone, check on boat modifications and projects, etc. Before we cancelled it, the last rendezvous was planned for Genoa Bay marina. It is close to the Canadian customs at Port Sidney, has a good anchorage at the marina if some folks prefer to anchor, and the marina owners are very friendly and it has a great restaurant. It might be a good choice again.
Frank
I would vote for Genoa Bay as I feel they never really got a fair shot at the event, given all that's happened...

Frank Langer

A bit later in the summer, even later in July would work better for me, but whatever the majority wants, I'll try to attend. Lets avoid any long weekend, as it can get a bit noisy and busy.
Frank

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Polls are easy, just create a new thread (a new post to this forum), and put in your text, describing what the poll is about, and then on the tab behind it, create the poll itself:

1641343847459.png

Kamell

On the Canadian side I am a big fan of Genoa Bay.
In the American side I love Friday Harbour for the large marina and access to lovely shops and dining.
I will continue to envision a spring/summer of opening up and moving around.
Kevin

On the Canadian side I am a big fan of Genoa Bay.
In the American side I love Friday Harbour for the large marina and access to lovely shops and dining.
I will continue to envision a spring/summer of opening up and moving around.
Kevin
We havent had the opportunity to visit Friday Harbour (yet), but really look forward to visiting.