• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

280 lbs of lead in the hallway

Sven

Seglare
We just got our 4 new Lifeline AGM 100 AH batteries. They are sitting by the front door. They will be a part-for-part replacement of the ones that came with Senta and which have served her well for 10 years !

Now we just have to get them on board and into the battery boxes without breaking anything or doing hernia damage :egrin:

Of course, we have to get the old ones out too. They should be a lot lighter after all those years of use :rolleyes:

Reading recycling sites I gather that most auto parts places will take the old batteries since they are worth money ? Is that true or just a recycling myth ?

Thanks,

-Sven

Glyn Judson

Disposing of old batteries.

Sven, You might well be on to something there. I know for a fact that West Marine will take back your old batteries but what I don't know is whether or not they'll only take them back if they've just sold you new ones. Might be worth a phone call. If you need help moving the old ones out and the new ones in, just let me know, I have a Yellow Pages you can borrow. ; - ) Glyn

Sven

Seglare
Hi Glyn,

If you need help moving the old ones out and the new ones in, just let me know, I have a Yellow Pages you can borrow. ; - )

You have yellow pages that will actually help you ? Ours never do anything I tell them to !

-Sven

agraziano23

Member II
...Reading recycling sites I gather that most auto parts places will take the old batteries since they are worth money ? Is that true or just a recycling myth ?...
-Sven

Mith, It costs money to dispose of the batteries. The lead in them is worth some money but usually not as much as the labor involved in taking it out, then disposing of the acid.

Emerald

I don't know if it's at the State or Federal level, but in Maryland, if you sell automotive type batteries, you have to accept old batteries that get turned in. The shop may squawk, but at least here, they have to take them, period. I know, because I've done it, and I've seen the jaws drop as I deposit 4-6 batteries and buy nothing. Of course, many places around here have a $5 core charge, so you do better to drop off as you buy 1:1 if this is the case.

Sam Vickery

Member III
Sven,

There are two "drop off" locations, for batteries, at the Dana Point Harbor.

If you are looking for a place to rid yourself of these and find yourself down

our way, come by and we can open a bottle of Aquavit (or another beverage

of your choice).

Sam