• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

2nd Cruising Completed To Toronto.

SpudE36RH

Member I
Well this is a banner season for our boat that was always sail ready but not quite there for cruising until recently.We added a bimini to the list for next season and likely replacing the old spray hood it came with.Much to the demise of our older son who hates anything non-racey.We left Oakville, Ont. Monday and had to motor thru the journey to Toronto in sporadic rain.So uneventful but safe.Didn't need the extra 10gal.diesel.We only sipped a quarter tank return.On return we had less than 6kts at times so turned it on at times.We spent two nights at IYC and the first night we were expecting walking dead in the trail walk.There was no one around!.I suppose because the restaurant didn't open up until Wednesday.We met a peacock on our walkabout, had great views to the tower and bbq dinner both nights near a very sheltered slip.As tourists in our own place we rented bikes toured Toronto Island and swam at a favorite beach of the lifeguards.(quiet and clean).There was a clothing optional beach closer to the airport on Hanlon's but not our thing.Same as our friends and their daughter.So a great day we've lived near Toronto most of our lives it was truly a great day.Left IYC and headed east 3.5 hrs under a reach genny only as it was a bit bouncy and we had no appointments other than Scarborough Bluff's Marina. Upon arrival a fishing boat was in our reserved slip.Not a nice welcome as wife was feeling panicky after a bouncy entrance to the harbour and depth concerns as we made way into the channel, fenders on wrong side.We have had the lowest water in our lake for years.We have had boats that draw less than us move to our own outer harbour from the creek.
Anyway, marina office not responding on their ch.not to worry we had Dave and his dog greet us and indicate a known empty slip and tied us off.He explained they do that around here- meaning overstay their welcome.My words to self were a bit different.He has a nice old 50ft offshore ketch that looks like he lives aboard.Itwas from Vancouver B.C.So,after mooring and getting power connected, boom tent up, hatches,ports open and fan on level 3, I was greeted with an ice cold Captains Log(our brewery back home).Paul came by after he landed in his vacant slip with this decompressing nectar.
Thank-you Paul .We sat in our cockpit and shared snacks as the buzzword of the trip was jauser, pronounced yowser from Claudia's Austrian upbringing
For some reason the word charcuterie has been used as a way to upcharge you when ordering it.Jauser has been the traditional Austrian ,German,Swiss way for ever.Iti s a typical dinner as the big meal of the day is at lunch.We had dinner at the Dog pub onsite both nights as restaurant above didn't open because of inclement weather, huh? I guess they don't pay attention to radar. Thursday we walked a trail to the bluffs which are home to many swallows.The bluffs are responsible for the nice sandy beaches Toronto Island received that far away.Leaving Friday was a sailors treat.We had a max of 7.3 kts on the beam.
Our friends who had an extra experienced crew member(daughter) close hauled to the way point closer to shore. Certainly enough wind and flatter sailing for wife easiness.They were heading to Port Credit to meet friends overnight.Our destination was home.If the weather was against us and daylight was an issue we had asked for a slip the day before on reciprocal.Our friend from last year's sons race team got that sorted for us.
Anyway, we made it home safe and avoided any rain with the odd motoring as wind on our nose most of the way or little wind. We eased into our slip and the boat was stuck about 6ft from where it normally rests.I had to wedge it side toside then pull forward. Depth reading 5.1ft so I guess unless it rains for a week straight and rises some my next note to the town will be asking for relocation.I dont want to write off 7 weeks now.
Hitting our own bed was a blessing after the long day. J&C

Attachments

• 20220824_122655.jpg
    20220824_122655.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-20220825-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20220825-WA0016.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-20220824-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220824-WA0000.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-20220825-WA0006.jpg