• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

30+ Overheating- Solution in Hand?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Coming back to this issue even though consensus says overloading engine is source of overheating. When motoring at WOT I can push 200 degrees before I chicken out and back it down. Takes a long time (10 minutes) to cool down to normal temps (~170). I can motor for hours at 2200 rpm with temps at 170. Cooling water flow looks like this:

Does that look like adequate cooling flow at speed? If not I might look into a new freshwater pump. Or maybe I need a new coolant pump? Or both…
Hi Doug,
I think motoring at 2200 rpms and temp of 170 degrees sounds right. If I recall correctly you have the 5411 engine, while mine is the 5416, slightly larger. Your engine exhaust looks a bit less water flow than mine, but that could be difference in engines and I recently replaced the raw water pump. Yours does not look too low to me. Just my opinion...
Frank

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thank you both. It's a bit hard to tell with hardly any other inboard engine sailboats around me. Frank, its the M18 engine, 14hp. Which I feel is a little underpowered for the size of the boat, especially when dealing with the strong river currents we get around here. This is one reason I feel like getting to the bottom of the WOT overheating situation, there are some times we need all the power we can get!

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Thank you both. It's a bit hard to tell with hardly any other inboard engine sailboats around me. Frank, its the M18 engine, 14hp. Which I feel is a little underpowered for the size of the boat, especially when dealing with the strong river currents we get around here. This is one reason I feel like getting to the bottom of the WOT overheating situation, there are some times we need all the power we can get!
Yes, Doug, I remember your engine. Mine is the 5416/M20 16 hp. which I also find barely enough power in a strong chop against the wind.
Frank

L-G Harvey

Member I
Sorry, I'm a bit late to this discussion.

Waterflow in the video looks similar to mine (although I have a 5416) and I have no overheating problems. However, I had a very similar problem a few years ago which was solved by a thermostat replacement.

Just a thought...

Louis

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks Louis, I’ll put in a spare thermostat soon and see what happens.