• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

32-200 Lost Rudder

jtsai

Member III
Shawn, this is a long shot but google "bob423" and you will find their FB site and cruise log. Bob and his wife are well known among ICW boaters. They publishes and update ICW cruise guide annually and has large follower either wintering in FL or Bahamas. His knowledge and connection may help you out transporting rudder/shaft from FL to Bahamas.

Shawn Brooks

Member II
Rudder finally arrived in the Bahamas. Shipping and customs was a real PITA, but it's here. Haul-out is tomorrow. If you guys want to see anything specific, let me know.

Attachments

• GOPR0425.JPG
    GOPR0425.JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 22
  • GOPR0429.JPG
    GOPR0429.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 23
  • GOPR0435.JPG
    GOPR0435.JPG
    240.4 KB · Views: 23
  • GOPR0436.JPG
    GOPR0436.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 21
  • GOPR0437.JPG
    GOPR0437.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 21
  • GOPR0438.JPG
    GOPR0438.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 21
  • GOPR0439.JPG
    GOPR0439.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 22
  • GOPR0440.JPG
    GOPR0440.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 23
  • GOPR0442.JPG
    GOPR0442.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 24
  • GOPR0444.JPG
    GOPR0444.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 23

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
All of us here have an interesting perspective on beauty… and in my opinion from what I have seen that is a lovely piece of craftsmanship. Good luck with the install!

Shawn Brooks

Member II
It is done. Foss Foam nailed it; rudder fits perfectly and they went out of their way to bring in the schedule. Highly recommended.

Captain Chris Lloyd towed me and while there was a little drama with the pulpit getting bent, he made it right. He put me in contact with the local people I needed to get situated.

Robert Brown of Brown's Boat Yard put me in an affordable slip for the 3 weeks I was waiting on the rudder. He also helped me get customs and local shipping sorted out. He wasn't 100% up-front on costs except for the slip rental. I couldn't get him or his agents to give me estimates on fees, so when the bill came it was a bit of a surprise. I can't clearly fault him, but it's fair to say he didn't go out of his way for me and I was charged for everything and maybe a little more--hard to know as the invoice was illegible. The inexpensive slip offset my overall opinion though. Neutral to slightly positive.

The only bad experience (well, outside of loosing the rudder), was with Tropical Shipping. They made a mistake on the bill of landing which caused delays and extra fees in customs. On top of that, they charged me to make the correction. Communication with them started of good, but it got nasty once I pointed out the mistake and asked for the fee to be removed. Take away is that if you have to deal with them, call them up before shipment and make 100% sure the bill of landing is filled out correctly. This means you have to understand how Bahamian Customs deals with importing items associated with a cruising permit. Don't expect Topical to know how to deal with this--or care.

Overall, I'd recommend not loosing your rudder in the Bahamas ;-)

Onward to the Exumas!