• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

32-3, 1989, Displacement ?

Keith Paremain

Ericson's specifications give the displacement of this model as 9,800 lbs.
Does this include the mast and boom?
Does any owner have any weight info?
Please advise.
Keith Paremain
Excelsis
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Design Weight?

I moved this thread to where more owners might see it; hope no one minds.

The calculated displacement figure should be for a light-load boat in a sail-away condition, AFAIK.
I have always heard that it is common for boats to dispace a little more than the designer specified, for a host of reasons.

If you have the boat lifted by a Travelift with a funcional load cell, the operator may be able to tell you the wieght, at least within 500#.
That's been my experience, anyway.
(Yes, I know, "Displacement" is not the same as "weight"... but maybe one of our experts can explain it to us all... in 25 words or less!) :nerd:

Cheers,
Loren
(whose boat has a "brochure weight" of 10600# and doubts that it really is that light)
:)

Seth

Sustaining Partner
10-4 Loren

Right-does include mast and boom, and not much else-a few gallons of fuel and water-not full tanks (why would you fill them under normal conditions anyway?).

And yes-it is RARE that production cruisers meet design displacment-even when delivered prior to the owner's stuff going on board. Typically the diff is 10-15% higher than published. Race boats are much closer.

Cheers,
S

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
furniture included?

Seth, does that displacement include all the furniture? Or just the hull and rig?
Thx
CHris

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Seth I am not, but that disp. figure would include everything in a "launchable" sold and commisioned boat -- furniture, cushions, etc.
Maybe not the main and jib...? Not sure about that....

(This might be just one more reason that most builders use the less-expensive 1.8 pound/cubic foot cushion foam in stock boat interiors ! )

Loren

Last edited: