• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

32-3 Cabinet in forepeak

nquigley

Sustaining Member
In my continuous search for more storage space, I decided to add a cabinet above the forward end of the V-berth.

It's a total of 24" deep (18" main unit, plus a separate/loose 6" panel at the forward end). The main unit just fits through the forward hatch and can be carried into the saloon on its side without disassembly. Plus, 24" is about as far as my short arms can easily reach.
It's made of non-marine 3/8" veneered plywood, with the unpainted surfaces coated with Total Boat penetrating epoxy.
There are hinged side panels inside, made of thin veneered plywood, to stop stuff from falling out onto the side shelves
The face panel leaves room on both sides still use the full length of the side shelves for storage (e.g., long pole-type things).
The cabinet door has slip hinges so it can be easily removed and stored inside if I want an open cabinet (and to make it easier to reach all the way into the cabinet).
To stop it sliding sideways, I epoxied 3 battens (1/4" poplar) across the bottom of the cabinet - forward, middle and aft. They are less than full-width and serve as 'stops' against the rails of the side shelves. They also strengthen the floor of the cabinet.
My windlass solenoid is mounted at top-port of the bulkhead, so I built a box from thin plywood to protect those electrics from stored stuff bumping into it. It's mounted on two screws in the bulkhead using a bayonet-mount method for easy removal/installation.

Yet to do:
Insert small leather pads to protect the teak rails of the side shelves where the cabinet face rests; come up with a simple, effective way to stop the cabinet sliding aft, and consider if I want a battery-powered LED light in the cabinet.
1 cabinet.jpg2 cabinet.jpg3 cabinet.jpg4 cabinet.jpg5 cabinet.jpg6 cabinet.jpg7 cabinet.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Classy extra storage and I note that you have what looks like a strong point on the foredeck for a baby stay.
Nice Work!
:cool:

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Bonus points for noticing the turnbuckle and working out what it’s for!
Yes, I installed a removable forestay a couple of years ago for use with a staysail/storm jib. It is through-bolted to the renovated/reinforced anchor well that I also created. I wrote a blog about that project.