• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

32-3 in Marina del Ray

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The maintenance work that has been done is impressive.
'Pandemic or life-change pricing'... would maybe have been a 50K boat just a few years ago.

Interesting that the owner was anal retentive enough to leave alone the one cushion with a worn-thru area so as not to have a mismatch with the others. That said, puzzling not to see the standard OEM fabric pattern.

Definitely worth a personal inspection, if you are shopping.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, as I discovered last week, MDR is seeing a decline in ownership that must be Covid. Probably a good time to make a deal. And of course, well, the 32-3 is a superb boat.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I bought my 32-3 in 2016 and I love it. I still lurk around Yachtworld to see what's on the market. I think this boat was originally listed at 37K or 39K. Looks very clean.

The biggest problem I see is the old style alternator bracket on the engine. This really needs to be changed, or it can ruin the engine. This was the first big problem I tackled on my boat.
The good news is, it looks like the exhaust riser/elbow and heat exchanger have already been replaced, which is good- but it's probably worth having them cleaned out when you replace the alternator bracket.

Also, there is water damage around the starboard portlight in the V berth. Check the cabinets below to see if there is more water damage below. This is a very common problem on boats this age.

As for that ripped quarter berth cushion--unless you plan on sleeping in the quarter berth, you can cut off the back half of that cushion. That area is better used (IMO) without a cushion, for storage. Then use the excess fabric to repair the forward part of the cushion, which you'll want as a seat cushion for the nav able.

Last edited:

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Looks very clean. Engine probably has a couple projects, and a new coat of Universal paint would help it present nicely. Always interesting to see what 32-3s go for in various states of maintenance -- I haven't seen one go close to 50k like Loren said but boy wouldn't that be swell when my time comes up?

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I've owned a E32-3 (1987) for 15 years now and sail her in the Chesapeake Bay. The boat you're considering seems to be in fairly good shape and after a objective look by a professional surveyor plus a sea trial you should be able to dock this E32 at your slip for a good price below the asking. My E32-3 sails easily (IMO) but doesn't like the sea right on her stern which causes her to roll quite a bit. But she's fast and I often pass longer boats. Unless there is something that isn't being detailed in the listing it's a boat worth looking over at least. The water leak problem at the starboard port in the V-birth is nothing that can't be fixed and there is plenty of info on this site to help and if you're not sure how to proceed just ask. The "Brady Bunch" style cushions can, of course, be easily changed at your leisure. I like the instrument set up at the helm.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
These boats sure seem to be holding their value well. I bought my '85 E32-3 five years ago for exactly the same as this asking price, and it was only in slightly better condition, based on the pics and description. Of course, I've invested about $10K on upgrades since then (bimini & boom cover, bottom job, standing rigging, new main hatches' lenses, windlass and larger anchor, solar panels and frame), but that's as expected. Just another $10K ought to do it ... ;-)