• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

35’ Head Cabinetry?

wjob

Rebuilding head cabinetry on 1974 35’. Have bits and pieces from original sink and area behind sink and need to figure where they go. Does anyone have any photos of that area from a 70’s hull that they could send?

Thanks,
Bill

Mike.Gritten

Member III
I wasn't sure exactly what you were looking for, so here are 3 pics to take a look at. The white plastic "doors" slide to reveal a very shallow storage space where we keep a hand mirror, tooth picks, q-tips, incense sticks and holder (?!), and an extra tube of toothpaste- that's about all it will hold! The doors below the sink hide much plumbing and piping, macerator pump, spare toilet paper and head lube, and some electrical wiring for the shower sump pump, and lighting. The sink through hull has been filled in as the sink drains to the shower sump and then overboard via an above the waterline through hull. We plan to replace the small "countertop" housing the sink, the sink itself and the tap and shower fixtures.
If you want something more specific or close up, let me know and I'll see what I can do. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• head1.jpg
    head1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 64
  • head2.jpg
    head2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 59
  • head3.jpg
    head3.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Bud H.

Member II
Here’s the sink on Queenie. Really a pretty useless sink in that it’s so shallow and tight in the head that we generally go to the sink in the galley to wash up or brush our teeth.

Attachments

• DSCF0458.jpg
    DSCF0458.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 51

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Get a Grip"

Bud,
I note that you have a hand hold on the left...
Standard item? Or did you install it?
(We are considering installing at least one inside our boat's head compartment. No injuries yet on our boat, but I have been on deliveries on other boats where crewpersons (trousers at half mast...) were launched right out the head door by an unanticipated lurch!)
:p

Cheers,
Loren

Last edited:

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Different Layouts

If you are starting nearly from scratch, don't feel constrained by the original layout.

Some friends of ours have nearly finished the gutting and subsequent rebuilding of their 35-2. One of the things they did was completely reorganize the head, using the area much more efficiently (and in my opinion looked better than original). I wish I could remember the details, but I think they moved the sink, added a locker, and moved the toilet to the other bulkhead.

jthistle

Member II
optional layouts

I'd love to see some different layouts for the 35-2. I'm starting from scratch - if there are any changes to be made now will be the time. Any chance of pictures?

cheers
jt

Bud H.

Member II
Loren, I’m pretty sure the hand hold is original. There are two more on the wall behind the head and they do come in handy when heeled over or choppy conditions.

wjob

Mike and Bud, certainly do appreciate the photos you sent! They are very helpful. I’m in the process of partially replacing the main bulkhead (left side of sink) and completely replacing secondary bulkhead (right side of sink) plus all the cabinetry. Unfortunately, didn’t get any good photos of area before it was torn out and believe I’m missing a few pieces.

Several questions:
  1. What type of vertical trim hides the edges where the secondary bulkhead meets the facing board at the right front edge of sink counter? Is it just a 90 degree “L” trim piece? A photo would be helpful.
  2. On the overhead headliner above the sink, the machine screws which go through the lower edge of the almond fiber glass into the main bulkhead, are there one or two? I know there is one in the corner where the liner starts the horizontal run to the hull, but is there a second one about halfway between that one and the hull?
  3. The shelf behind the sink, above the cabinet with sliding doors, the mahogany or teak piece, with the two large oblong cutouts, is there a grooved piece attached to its bottom, to accept the sliding doors like there is on the bottom and sides?
  4. Would appreciate another photo, when you get chance, showing area under sink which shows plumbing and especially the macerator pump install. Is your waste holding tank located under the setae in the salon that backs up to the bulkhead and, if so, what size and make? If not, where is it?
  5. The shower sump pump. Haven’t got that far yet but mine looks like a Rule and I’m sure it’s not working. How do they attach/detach from the bottom of the shower drain, and is Rule the one to get?My port light in the head is fixed whereas it looks like Bud’s is the opening type. Is your fixed, or opening Mike?
My 35-2 is new to me and I have a ton of work to do to bring it back but that’s all part of it. Thanks.

Bill

Bud H.

Member II
It will be this weekend before I can get out to the boat again but I’ll take more pics and post them Sunday or Monday. The PO upgraded the holding tank in a way that I think might be quite unique at least as far as I can tell from other posts. He placed the holding tank under the port side of the Vee birth. On Queenie there was a bank of drawer fronts that opened for storage. Now when you open one you can see the tank. I’ll take some pictures it may be an idea you can use.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited:

jthistle

Member II
head renos'

here are a couple of snaps from my current project...they might help. If nothing else you'll know you're not alone :confused:- and that tends to help me a bit.

I replaced 1/2 the bulkhead on account of rot near the hull and behind the setee. If you're doing the whole thing. You'll have to cut the new one in two pieces to get it in the boat. I'm going to fair the bulkhead join with epoxy and attach a veneer to whole works.

good luck...

cheers
jt

Attachments

• IMG_1957.jpg
    IMG_1957.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1958.jpg
    IMG_1958.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2020.jpg
    IMG_2020.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 61

CaptDan

Member III
Bud H.;38255 On Queenie there was a bank of drawer fronts that opened for storage. Now when you open one you can see the tank. I’ll take some pictures it may be an idea you can use.[/SIZE said:

The original owner of our boat did the same thing - rendering the entire array of drawers useless. But, I suppose there's something to be said for a larger holding tank. :rolleyes:

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"