• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

35-2 vs 32-200

drcam1

Member II
Trying to decide between two boats. Love the classic look of the 35-2. Like the cabin, head and galley arrangement on the 32-200. I will be doing some single-handed sailing or sailing with my younger children. I would have to run the lines to the cockpit and add self-tailing jib sheets to the 35 (and update the stove) but the hull and deck are in mint condition. I would have to add an autopilot to the 32-200, but the boat hasn't quite had the TLC the 35 has.

Anyone out there with experience single-handling these boats?

Might do some racing (casual) so what about performance?

(I am only 5'9", so I do fit in the rear cabin of the 32-200)

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
This is a tough call, but my experience may help you decide. We have a 1984 E30+ in really good condition, fully equipped (backstay adjuster, boom vang, autohelm, wind/speed/depth instruments, etc.), all lines led aft. We love our boat and I singlehand often (I'm late 50's in pretty good shape, slight 5'8" build). My wife would prefer more storage space, especially when we have others cruising with us for a week or two. We have had five adults sleeping on our boat for a week, and while tight, it works. We have had seven adults for day sails, tight but it works also.

I recently spoke with a couple in their 60s who owned a 40 foot Valiant, sailed from Alaska to Mexico, thought they were done cruising and sold the boat. A year later they were still "hooked" and bought an Ericson 38, sailed it for 5 years, but found it too much to handle with increasing age and sold her. After another year they bought an Ericson 35-3, but within a couple of years found they weren't confident in handling her any more due to increasing age (on the dock they looked fit and trim, not old and frail!). They sold this boat and now own a 26 foot day sailor which they sail in the area, but not in rough waters.

My point is that a larger boat always has an appeal, and does have advantages. But I go out singlehanding in my E30+ alot more than some in our marina who own larger boats. I am confident I can handle our boat in pretty much any conditions, but I'm not sure I would be able to handle a 35 footer on my own--reefing a larger sail, flaking a large mainsail, docking in a strong crosswind, etc. though I know that people do singlehand them.

Good luck in making your choice--kind of a nice problem to have!

Frank

Last edited:

drcam1

Member II
My dad always used to say that the time a boat spends away from the dock is inversely proportionate to its length.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
i don't know, I have a 35-2 and would sail it anywhere in the world! It is easily handled by 2, very fast & forgiving, and safe & strong. I see no reason It cannot be singlehanded If you set it up to do so. I think you need to just decide which boat you like best and go with it. In the big picture they are both in the same world and the downsides and advantages of each are not as big as you might think. Having said that any advantages abut either will always haunt you. If you go for the smaller one you will always want more room, Or taking the larger one will always bring the passing thought that it would be easier to dock if you chose the other. But in either case you will be happy and satisfied with either boat as it and you work with each other a bit.Edd

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Choices, choices...

FWIW, and having only sailed an E-32-3 (same hull/rig as the parallel model 32-200), I did some quick comparisons with the two designs from some on-line ads.
What I am not 100% sure of is whether the stated measurements are correct. I believe that having looked at several on Yachtworld, these are close.

E-32-200

LOA: 32'6"
Beam: 10'10"
LWL: 25'10"
Maximum Draft: 4'5"
Displacement: 9,800
Ballast: 4,200

Beam: 10'0"
LWL: 25'10"
Maximum Draft: 4'11"
Displacement: 11,600#
Ballast: 5000#

Having sailed on a wide variety of boats over the last 30+ years I can assure the thread originator that one of truest ways to compare boats is displacement. Overall length is good, too, but really does not tell you as much about the "size" of the boat as its displacement. Also, both of these being "around 10 to 11K", there is little difference.

My point is that, in the real world, these two boats are very close to each other in terms of how each would feel to sail short/single handed. The newer 32 maximizes the interior but at the expense of storage and access to the hull. Both are gorgeous and will draw compliments at any marina dock. :cool:

Note that the ballast/displacement ratios are similar. Also that the older 35 stretches out its displacement over more sailing WL length, even tho having the same resting WL.

If the boats you are looking at are both in good condition for their asking price, and you like both "looks" then it is more of an intangible thing... and only you know what you want.
(Kind of like the part of the movie "The Godfather" where Michael falls in love with the village girl in Italy after she gives him the look that the locals call the "thunderbolt!")

Happy shopping,

Loren
:egrin:

Attachments

• e35-2_under_mylar.jpg
    e35-2_under_mylar.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

drcam1

Member II
Great information Loren! (and from the others as well) I really appreciate all the input, and more is still welcome. I am leaning toward the 32, mainly for the sail management issue, but need to look up the real dimensions to see if the differences are significant.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Keel depth on my son's 32 (actually PS/E-333) is 6' 2". On site E-32 owner's manual shows shoal draft of 4' 4".

CaptDan

Member III
Loren's answers are well thought out and offered with his usual skillful aplomb.:egrin:

I'm 61, in decent shape and single hand our E35II every so often. I prefer to have at least one crew aboard, but it's really not necessary for daysails. I can leave the dock, hoist sail, control lines, and generally - deal with the errant fouled sheet or whatever annoying issue arises. Then, I can bring her home safely without hitting anything - except maybe my head on the boom in a rush to grab a dockline.:) All of this would be made noticeably more difficult without the following:

1. Lines lead aft
2. Wheel pilot
3. Lazy jacks
4. The relatively smaller 'Frisco' cut main'sl.
5. Reliable roller furling.

Our first boat - a wooden ketch, though 5 feet shorter - was far more difficult to single hand because it was set up in 'classic' cruising mode - halyards at the mast, no autopilot or furling. The point is, with some confidence gained and a habit of aforethought and planning, along with the tools to make it easier, you CAN single hand these boats in all but the most demanding weather.

So, to quote another movie figure - 'Klatu' in 'Day The Earth Stood Still:'

"The decision rests with you..." :egrin:

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Last edited:

Mindscape

Member III
E32-3

I single hand my 32-3, similar to the 32-200 and find it pretty easy to do. All lines led aft. I recently added self tailing winches on the cabin top for main halyard and main sheet. This has made things even easier. All other winches are self tailers. A good auto pilot is a must if you are going any distance and makes things easier in general. Docking is the trick and I don't find the 32 too hard to dock, practice, practice, practice....
As Loren mentions the 35 is not that much larger and I don't think it would be that much different (in this case).
As all these boats are gettting 'older' the newer boat might have some appeal since things would be newer. Of course this needs to be balanced against the TLC that has been given.
Back to the docking, my 32 (fixed prop) has significant prop walk, (not unusual) and it can be used to your advantage, or it can be a pain, if the boats you're looking at have folding or feathering props you can avoid this.
Back to sailing single handed. Both of these boats would be very sailable single handed, if you want to fly a chute (Asymetrical) single handed you can do it, but the auto pilot is cruical. The 32 can use a wheel pilot effectivily, not sure if the 35 would be too much for a wheel pilot or not. Under deck would be the best, but the cost is higher.
My $.02

drcam1

Member II
One main difference b/w the 32 and the 35 is that the main sheet and traveller system is on the cabin top for the 32 and is at the wheel for the 35. Do those of you sailing the 32's find this to be an issue? (it doesn't sound like it is based on your posts)

CaptDan

Member III
not sure if the 35 would be too much for a wheel pilot or not. Under deck would be the best, but the cost is higher.
My $.02

I use a Simrad WP10 Wheelpilot, allegedly rated for boats 'only to <>32 feet."
It's yet to fail me, though it's generally more effective under power than sail. According to a Simrad tech, the WP10 is the same as the 'heavier-boat-rated' WP30 (both defunct models) - without the NMEA interface.]

An underdeck pilot is a better choice for extensive offshore/coastalwork. Then again, a windvane is even better. In a perfect world, you'd have both. But a wheelpilot beats not having any helm assistance whatsoever.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Mindscape

Member III
Traveler

The location of the traveler on the 32 has not really been an issue. Although I would prefer it closer to the helm, and longer. One of the common mods on the 32 is to extend the traveler length. Having sailed both configurations alone I think the traveler in front of the helm is great. It's definitly not convient for moving around quickly tho. This config with a windward sheeting car makes for great single handing. I was a little concerned when buying my 32 about the loaction of the traveler and main sheet. In the end it has been ok. I do sometimes run the mainsheet back to a cleat near the primary winches which are close to the helm. This allows me some control without having to go forward. I also found that a self tailing winch on the mainsheet makes it pretty quick to make mainsheet adjustments so it doesn't take long to make a change. Adding more purchase to the traveler would make it easier to adjust, the stock traveler on my E32-3 is ok, but not great.

Hope this helps! Good luck, I don't think you can go wrong with either boat, they are both Ericsons!