• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

35-3 Port Chainplate Pics? [Disassembly issue]

Butch Bogan

Member I
Galling on stainless happens mostly through friction. If there is a high amount of tension on the fasteners when they are being disassembled the heat generated will cause the metal to fuse. Any corrosion will add to the friction, as will trying to assemble or disassemble at a high rate of speed.

This is the main reason most riggers don't like/use stainless turnbuckles, especially on standing rigging. I've had several lifeline turnbuckles seize when trying to take them apart, with very little evident corrosion. I generally add a copious amount of Lanacoat or Tef-Gel to lifeline turnbuckles. I always apply T-9 to new rigging turnbuckles when installing, even though they are chrome plated bronze. Most riggers also have at least one story of a mechanical, ie Sta-Lok or Norseman terminal, seizing to the point of no return. Lubrication is your friend :)

Cheers

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I finally got this wrapped up and now I can finish my head install. Here's the before:
cap chainplate and forward lower backing plate.jpg

And the After (before tightening the bolts and drilling out the 2 holes I filled with epoxy):

20210217_182448.jpg

It took quite a bit of time polishing them, but most of that time was spent learning. They are far from perfect, but good enough to spend another 30 years in hopefully a nice dry and warm cabin.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Now that the chain plates are back in the boat, I was able to complete the plumbing. I was worried about not being able to access the back of the chain plates with the plumbing in the way and now that it's all back together, I'm glad I took the extra time. Even though I didn't find anything that would have caused a catastrophic failure in the near future, it feels good to have all new fasteners and a little more piece of mind that comes with being able to inspect the bulkhead.

Side note: Raritan Saniflex hosing is worth the extra price 10 times over. This project would not have been possible with the standard stiff white stuff.
20210227_122333.jpg