• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

38-200 Galley Organization - behind the sink and garbage

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
On driftless an easy place to keep soap, sponges, water bottles, bouquets of basil and mint, etc. is behind the sink and faucet. It's a nice little landing strip of counter that's out of the way.
It doesn't work underway though. Everything slides. So it all ends up tossed in the sink. That's secure, but a nuisance because then we cant use both sinks.
Has anyone come up with a good organizer, basket, bungee, net, fiddles, etc. in order to keep things in place on their countertops?

Also, we currently just have a hanging bag for garbage. It's aft of the stove, but that makes those drawers hard to get into. I've seen many clever solutions for other galley layouts. Any 38-200 owners care to share their solutions?

Attachments

• PXL_20230604_161040153.jpg
    PXL_20230604_161040153.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 68
  • PXL_20230604_161102526.jpg
    PXL_20230604_161102526.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 65
  • PXL_20230604_161128447.jpg
    PXL_20230604_161128447.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20230604_161159623.jpg
    PXL_20230604_161159623.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 67

ConchyDug

Member III
I use Velcro on the bottom/sides of the soap bottles like NASA. You could get real crazy using that expensive snap-loc stuff and just refill the bottles.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
All I know is if I put up a picture with my wife's feet in it, I'd likely get one of them stuck right in my transom. :)

Different boat - 35-3 - but, sadly, our solution is putting everything in the sink, as most other storage space is taken. Have thought of getting some netting to hang when underway, and just placing it all in that. We currently have a medium size garbage can which works great, but are planning to get a couple small ones that will fit under the entryway ladder, on top of the engine compartment cover.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I don't have a photo handy, but.... on my 32-III I use the top of the engine box for two kinds of stuff

-- on the engine box itself, I have a book-rack for (e.g.) tide tables and local cruising guides, held in place with velcro

-- the space on the engine box between the back of the book-rack and the inboard side of the galley furniture is perfect for "galley stuff". I have a thing of hand-soap, dish-soap, a couple of sponges, a jug of wipies, etc.... it all fits there and stays in place while healing in either direction.

I'll be at the boat later, can take a photo or two if that'd be of value...

Bruce

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
Above the engine on my 38-200 there is a built-in storage box. It leaves a little room, but not a lot. Maybe I'll move the fire extinguisher that currently lives there and see if I can better use the area.

More photos the better Bruce!

I'm toying with a couple of ideas for behind the sink along the lines of a fiddle/basket. The skipper is concerned about being able to clean around it easily. It is a place that gets a lot of splashes and suds and such. I'm afraid velcro could get pretty scuzzy. Maybe magnets in/under the counter top?

Here's 2 rough ideas for behind the sink that I've (crudely) mocked up. What do you all think?

Attachments

• PXL_20230607_132928822.jpg
    PXL_20230607_132928822.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I like the idea. I make such stuff out of mahogany from Rockler.

Mahogany by the Piece, 1/4" x 3" x 48"
SKU: 65131
2$31.98

1686163823813.jpeg

You might consider something like this, simpler.
sketch 1.jpg

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
More photos the better Bruce!

As you wish!

Here's my set-up (32-III): The view from the nav-table/quarter-berth

IMG_3522.jpg

And, with the companionway ladder removed, you can see where I stow all the "galley stuff", in between the back of the book-rack and the side of the sink cabinet. It all stays neatly in place while sailing, and yet is easy to grab - including when ladder is in place - when doing things in the galley.

IMG_3523.jpg

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
Great question and great ideas for solutions. We’ve been using the sink like you have. As for trash, we use the tilt out bin just aft of the range for recycling and use a small rectangular plastic waste basket under the sink for trash. It wedges in nicely between the drawer slide rails and the sink drain hose and stays put. No pics I can find to share……….

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A benefit of the forward-head interior is the compartment for soap, sponges and such, next to the pass-through trash bin over the sink. The 32-3 has a pass-through also.

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
Found some right-sized drawer organizers and treated with deck stain/oil. Color is a little off, but the fit is just about perfect.

Still haven't found the perfect garbage spot.

Attachments

• PXL_20231001_162344374.jpg
    PXL_20231001_162344374.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 20

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
If there's a cabinet door handy, this works
The current system is plastic grocery bags hung over a hook or door handle. Works great until there's a hole in the bag and my spent coffee grounds dribble out (overboard with compostables isn't a legal option in the Great Lakes).
I need a bucket or bin. I'll try bungeeing something right sized in the corner of the galley and see if it's not too underfoot.

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
Thanks for the link to that thread Mike. Some great ideas there. Love your slide-out thats beautiful! It wouldn’t work for us because of refrigeration compressor and countertop extension locations. Also love Steve’s dry bag idea for full trash bags - less room and less smell than pickle buckets. Here are pics of our current setup along with the trash can label showing dimensions. Crushed cans in the tilt-out and trash under the sink.

Attachments

• IMG_9497.jpeg
    IMG_9497.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9499.jpeg
    IMG_9499.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9496.jpeg
    IMG_9496.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 8