• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

38-200 Pacific Seacraft?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The Ericson wiki says the molds were sold to PS in 1990, when Ericson "ceased operations." I'm not sure that really answers your question, though.

Are there any otehr 1989 E38s said to be built by PS?

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
Lore has it anything 1991 and beyond is PSC. Before that, Ericson

I'm curious if the PSC built boats still had the ERY hull number? Does anyone know? That would let you know for sure.

pablo

Member I
The Ericson wiki says the molds were sold to PS in 1990, when Ericson "ceased operations." I'm not sure that really answers your question, though.

Are there any otehr 1989 E38s said to be built by PS?

Thanks for the help............although I heard some rumors that sometime in 1989 was actually the transition year.

pablo

Member I
Lore has it anything 1991 and beyond is PSC. Before that, Ericson

I'm curious if the PSC built boats still had the ERY hull number? Does anyone know? That would let you know for sure.

Thanks....Most likely mine was built by Ericson as she has the ERY number.

u079721

Contributing Partner
This has come up before, and IIRC the real question was whether any 1990 versions were built by PS or Ericson, as I thought that was the transition year.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Does anyone know how to identify if my 1989 38-200 was built by Pacific Seacraft?

The hull was molded out by the company identified in the HIN.
Your '89 should be an Ericson-built boat. (no involvement by PSC)

Rumor is that some of the last ones from late 1990 might have been molded out by EY and finished up by PSC.
i.e. the changeover was somewhat gradual. This is only a rumor, however.
Loren

Last edited:

Roger

Member II
Loren is correct. Ericson filed Chapter 7 in May of 1990, so an '89 boat would have been built by Ericson. I don't recall for sure, but there may have been some unfinished boats when Ericson went out of business that were completed at Pacific Seacraft in '90 or '91.

Last edited:

gulfcoaster

Member III
PSC vs Ericson.

I believe boats built thru the 1990 year were Ericson built boats. PSC started in 1991. I believe there is at least one on Yachtworld now. PSC modified the transom to a semi-scoop transom in 1993-1998. There is a 1993 38 here in Seabrook Texas. I also sail on a 1998 E-38. The last couple of years of production PSC did away with the trademark opposite angle fixed ports and installed upgraded Bomar opening ports as well. PSC also moved the interior dome lights up higher. They also used less wood in the interior. We've owned our 1987 32-3 for over 15 years now. Very happy with the boat.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
FWIW, my son's '98 PS/E-333 (from the E-32-200 with the scooped transom) had Lewmar hatches and port & dead lights. I think the only teak that was missing was along the lights (windows) on either side.

attachment.php

Attachments

• En Douce sailing 029 C.jpg
    En Douce sailing 029 C.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 504

JPT

I have an Ericson 38 built by Pacific Seacraft in 1992, and the hull identification number begins with "PSC".

Jon

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Jon, welcome aboard.

You must have one of the latest boats. What's the rest of the HIN? For example,

ERY35485M77B

The hull number follows the first five characters - {Ericson Yachts 35} #485

'M77B' means the hull was manufactured in February '77, at least in the ERicson format.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I have an Ericson 38 built by Pacific Seacraft in 1992, and the hull identification number begins with "PSC".

You must have one of the latest boats.

A couple of us have already mentioned PS/E boats built in 1998, and I don't think they are the last.

BTW, welcome Jon. I've had a lot of fun sailing to Kingston over the years.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Tom,

Do you remember the HIN of that '98 boat of your son's? I'm wondering if they kept the Ericson numbering, or started over. And any other clues to how many Bruce King boats PS built after ERicson folded....

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Tom,

Do you remember the HIN of that '98 boat of your son's? I'm wondering if they kept the Ericson numbering, or started over. And any other clues to how many Bruce King boats PS built after ERicson folded....

Keith's boat was a PS/E-333, not a -32 so the numbers wouldn't follow. The main difference being the scooped stern. It was #303 in a series starting with #301 (?).

DESCRIPTION 1998 Pacific Sea Craft Ericsson 333
Hull Identification Number PSE33303J798

I copied the above straight off the PDF of the Survey cover sheet and I thought it interesting that and the HIN had a typo for the last digit. It was listed as "J795" which confused me. The rubbing showed it to be J798. This may be the reason that he never paid me back for covering the surveyor for him, but I am still hopeful.

En Douce sailing 101 [640x480].jpg

Last edited: