• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

3D Ericson Logo

Walter Pearson

Member III
As part of an unfinished engine panel project, I have some items that might be of interest if anyone wants to create the Ericson version of the Viking helmet in 3D. I thought it would be interesting to use the logo instead of the name on the panel. I was not sure if I wanted it embossed or debossed, so two methods were taken. An old version of SolidWorks (CAD) was used to make a model. The database was used in the form of an STL file to have a rapid prototype made. I might have used this part directly or duplicated it in another material using a silicone mold. A photo of the rapid prototype is provided. The actual part is about 7/8 inch tall by 3/4 inch wide. Of course, if the CAD database can be useful to anyone, it could be re-sized as needed. This part has no draft angles, but the depth is only 1.0 mm., so I was not worried about getting any castings out of the silicone mold.

The other method taken was to create a brass cavity by machining in a pantograph engraver. The readily available two dimensional Ericson logo artwork was used to create the pantograph guide. This resulted in 5/16 plate with the logo cut into the central area. The logo cavity has generous draft. So available for the cost of shipping are: the engine panel; the rapid prototype logo; a silicone mold of same; brass engraving of logo. I do not see a way to add the CAD database to this site, but I could provide it - or IGES, etc. - translations to anyone interested.DSCN1854.jpgDSCN1852.jpg

Lucky Dog

Member III
That would be great to get the file. I have a version for laser engraving, but that's a rastered image.Ml