• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

79 Ericson 25 + diagrams for plumbing

Terry B

I have a 1979 25+ and am trying to sort out the plumbing system for fresh water as well as sanitation and where the thru hulls are located. Does anybody have any schematics or drawings that they would share. I am really confused as to where everything is and where it goes and how/or if it is connected.
I just filled my fresh water tank and after awhile noticed my bilge pump was pumping water out. I turned of the hose and the bilge went down. I have fresh water and the bilge is normal except it has a coating of green slimy stuff that stinks now. Have no idea where that came from. Plus my sink in the head does not drain. Don't know where the thru hull for it is.

Thank you for any help you can provide;

Hope you have clear skys and good winds

Terry

LEB

Member I
My 79 25+ head sink drains through the only through hull right on the waterline. Access under forward starboard bunk cushion. Now also serves the air conditioning effluent.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Hi Terry,

The only way you are going to know for sure where hoses are running and thru hulls and valves are located on a 40 year old boat is to hand follow each hose from one end to the other. Who knows what has been removed or changed over the years by previous owners. This will also let you assess the age and condition of each hose as well as the thru hulls and valves. I'd start with all the sea connected thru hulls that can sink the boat: sink drains, engine cooling intake, head intake, sanitary overboard, seawater foot pump/ice box drain (these are the six I have on an E36). I made a spreadsheet of all the hoses so I could track how old they all are and when/if I replaced them. I replaced all my sea connected hoses first and then did other systems (engine cooling, sanitary/head) later as winter projects. My fresh water is original. The only hoses that have an ABYC time limit are fuel hoses if you have an inboard.

Specifically for your fresh water system, check to see where the fresh water tank vent line is located. Mine is a small silver spout at the galley sink, identical to the fresh/salt water foot pumps. It sounds like your tank is overfilling to the bilge instead of up the vent line and into a sink (galley or head). Green slimy stuff, could it be drinkable antifreeze from the fresh water tank winterization? Don't know your location of if the boat has been functioning yet this season - you should add this to your profile. Does your fresh water tank have an access port so you can see what is in it? I would inspect in there before I drank from the tank. I had to add access ports to each section of mine to be able to clean it.

Head sink not draining - is hull valve closed? Black Marelon valves can have the handle break off in either open or closed if they get stuck from not being cycled. Second guess is a drain hose clog, less likely.

Mark