• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

'85 E38 Holding Tank replacement

yknotsail

I contacted Ronco Plastics to get a replacement holding tank, the B-130, L shaped, and they no longer make it.
Does anyone know of a source to replace the original shape, or, is there another Ronco tank model that fits athwartship under the settee next to the bulkhead that isn't L-shaped, smaller but still enough??

Glyn Judson

Replacement Ronco tank.

Dear Yknotsail, If I remember correctly that L-shaped tank was a bit problematic in that it developed stress cracks (and leaks) at the inside of the L. The new look might be to have a smaller rectangular one made. Maybe Sean can jump in here as I think he has a pretty good photo documentation of the smaller tank replacement proceedure in his boat. It is not the case in most instances but is true when it comes to holding tanks that smaller is better. Most odor comes as a result of imporperly treated waste remaining too long in a large tank. The smaller the tank, the more often it gets pumped out. Judicious use and proper treatment of the waste in a smaller tank is the best choice. We have a 13-gallon Ronco tank in our boat (that I had them make) that serves Marilyn and me quite well for extended periods on the boat. For that matter once educated, guests who have stayed aboard for days at a time with us have never filled the tank. If you don't know about Odorlos, find out because it's the final solution to ridding ALL head odor from the tank FOREVER. Good luck, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Glyn Judson

Odorlos.

Kim, Correct, any West Marine. I use the liquid type in a 48 oz(?) measuring bottle but the crystals are far cheaper. That said, it's just pennies per liquid application of one ounce per week per 10 gallon capacity. I've even come to realize that my tank at 13-gallons is odor free with just one ounce per week. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

ligolaiva38

Member II
Hello yknotsail,
I have an Ericson 1984 381 which developed a crack in the L shape joint and leaked. I went to Ronco for a replacemant and they gave me a choice. An L shaped tank like the original or an identical tank without the L shape sticking out. The manager said he could make either one or even repair the original one. The L shaped one has 2 more gallons and I couldn't decide which is better since he said a new one might be better. He suggested the L shape because it wasn't a common defect so I purchased the L shape again. It hasn't cracked or leaked in over 10 years. I did however, place soft foam (squair knee protectors form Home Depot) pieces around it to brace it softly and avoid sharp edges from the seats L shape from grinding and pressing against the tanks corner.
I think they still have the molds for a tank w/o the L shape because not long ago some one replaced their tank and all they could get was the one w/o the L shape from Ronco.
Make sure you talk to some experts who make the tanks at Ronco and not just some secretary who only knows of limited number of sizes in the catalogue.
If you cannot replace the tank it can easily be fixed by heating the crack and then adding another layer over where it has cracked by a repair facility that works on Polyethylene. All they do is heat it and it melts together as once piece.
Good luck.

Guy Stevens

Yes you can heat weld them

Welding just like welding metal at a much lower temp. You use a soldering iron NOW HERE IS THE TRICK>>>>> ON a dimmer switch from the hardware store <<<<<<< so you can have a $10.00 set up that preforms as well as a $500.00 custom unit from weller.

Having some extra material that matches the tank makes good welding rod too.

Guy
:)

Glyn Judson

New L-shaped tank.

All, It could be that the newly made L-shaped tanks are stronger than the factory originals as I know my replacement 13-gallon one was. The chap there explained to me that thyy were now making their tanks with a wall thickness twice that of my old one. It's a good guess that it applies to all new tanks they now make. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

tdtrimmer

Member II
I have a1981 E38 and am also replacing the tank. I talked to Ronco and they will make the B-130 on request. I plan on ordering one with a fitting on top for a level sensor within the next few weeks.
Tom

fgermano

Hi YKnotSail.

I have an eric 38 '89 no problems yet with holding tank. What size was yours? I am also trying to find where the 3rd water tank is, under that hump in shower??? So I am guessing the holding tank is below that; all I can see from the cockpit locker is the brown/gray top between the boards. I am thinking of putting a 6 inch access circle with cover to the TOP or SIDE of the hump under the shower to look insde? What is your configuration like?

Last edited:

JohnK

Member II
Welcome fgermano,
If your E38 is an '89 and you can see tanks from the cockpit locker, then you probably have the 200 layout which uses a Ronco B187 holding tank (20 gal.)which is mounted against the shower stall wall. The water tanks are 1) under "floor" of cockpit locker 2) under port settee and 3) under v-berth (optional). There is a diagram of the holding tank in Ronco's catalog:
http://www.ronco-plastics.net/pdfs/MarineTanks2006.pdf. The holding tank can be removed for cleaning fairly easily, which I did last year, by dismantling most of the boards and supports that surround it.

I'll defer to my more knowledgeable colleagues but I don' think there's anything under the shower seat....

Last edited:

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Ours has the air conditioning stuff under the seat- through hull, seacock, hose, filter, pump, more hose going up to the unit. It would also be an ideal place to put the water inlet for watermaker or something. I wouldn't recomend putting anything important down there since access panels have to be small and waterproof and getting into a small panel in that space is a pain. I don't look forward to the day that I have to replace our AC pump again:egrin:.

As noted, the interiors changed significantly in the 38's around 1986-ish? But the rest of the boat stayed the same.

Chris

fgermano

Hi John. Where exactly is that 3rd water tank under the cockpit floor?
Any clues are helpful.

Thanks for the info regarding cleanout of the holding tank? When you did so did you feel that you had lost capacity with crud? Did it improve afterwards? How much? I assume you just remove those restraining frames. Seeing the shape from the catalog, I can visualize how it must go.

ps/ I used to keep the boat at the Fairhaven Ship Yard, opposite New Bedford, MA. frank germano

JohnK

Member II
Well the tank isn't so much under the cockpit floor, but under the stbd. cockpit locker floor. So if you climbed down into the locker and were crouched down in there looking straight ahead at the holding tank, the water tank would be under your feet below the floorboard which is removeable. The manual says it's about 22 gallons.

I pulled the holding tank last spring because the smells were getting pretty bad. I did have some crud build-up but the tank was in pretty good shape. I brought the tank home and let it sit in the backyard with a muriatic acid solution soaking in it for about a week, turning the tank every day or so for the solution to get to all the nooks and crannies. After hosing it all out, it was good as new!

If you pull the tank, you might as well replace the hoses too. I went with the fancy-shmancy Sealand OdorSafe stuff - you'll need about 8' for the head-to-tank piece and 4' for the tank-to-deckfitting piece. The hose is easy to replace if you remember to glue the new hose onto the old hose at the head end and just pull the old hose from the cockpit locker. Don't forget the vent hose - it gets gamey too.

p/s - haven't been to New Bedford proper yet (this will be our 3rd season) but got to Padanaram last July. Great area!