• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

A-4 direct drive or reduction gear?

mduryee

Anyone know how to tell if my A-4 is direct drive, or a reduction gear in my 1976 e-32?
Thanks!
:nerd:Mike

Emerald

The reduction gear was achieved by a roundish assembly that bolts on to the back of the transmission. If the back of your A4 looks basically square with a flange for the prop shaft coming out, it's direct. If you've got a round thing bolted to the back of the "square" part, then you've got a reduction unit. I've attached a picture out of the A4 manual that shows the round reduction unit bolted on to the back of the transmission. You can make out the word "Paragon" in this picture, and that is on the reduction portion itself.

Attachments

• A4Repair&Maint41.jpg
    A4Repair&Maint41.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Dave Neptune

Member II
Tha A-4

Most of the early Ericsons were all direct drives albeit some were of the "v-drive" variety. Also most of the reduction units used a 1" shaft on the A-4's. My 1970 E35 MkII is a direct drive and uses a 3/4" shaft. If you can't see the back of the motor very well perhaps you could see the shaft.
It is most likely a direct drive.. Have you ever heard of the Indigo prop developed just for the A-4? I put one on mine and it made a big differance especially backing out of the slip:rolleyes:.

Dave Neptune:cool:

mduryee

thanks!

Thanks!
It appears from your descriptions, I have a direct drive. No round unit and a 3/4 or so shaft.

And yes, I've heard of the indigo prop. Unfortunately, there are other expenses ahead of it on my short list. I'll just have to put up with sloppy backing for a while.:rolleyes:
Mike