• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

A "big one" - rotten deck under heater chimney

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Slowly getting somewhere. Dremelled out a half-inch using the "flapper wheel" attachment for my dremel, which worked beautifully, even against the epoxy. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-...r-Wood-Rubber-Plastic-and-Metal-503/100165927

Packed it in with peanut buttery colloidal silica epoxy and used a scraper to smooth it out. Drilled and filled the old cruddy screwholes. Put another layer of epoxy on the forward hole to raise it a bit and smooth it out some... this will get sanded and glassed over next work-day.

Last big steps are to stop noodling about what to mount the chimney on and make something to mount the chimney on. I'm leaning towards a bottom layer of Star Board in hopes that it is less prone to splitting and cracking than a teak block, but then maybe covering the top of the Star Board with a layer of teak, or something. Might look nice...er than just the Star Board itself.

1583120044549.png1583120054819.png
1583120066184.png

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Following up on this one what feels like 5 years later to say this project did finally complete - a carpenter friend was able to help me make a new wood block. He also used his shop favors to sandblast the old metal, and I bought a new chimney stack, having finally sent my old one overboard with a flailing jib sheet. It stands pretty proud of the guard but I think it'll work just fine. At least I don't have a bucket taped over the top of my deck anymore to prevent rain from coming in.

1596471588218.png

IMG_20200731_124000.jpg

Though, now that I look at these pictures, I think I could cut the stem of the chimney cap down to let it be more flush with the rail. Guess I have something to do yet...