• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

a few questions to help a newbie 29T

ptsbug

The admiral and I are interested in stepping up and have located a 1979 29T.
It has been on the dry for 2+ years, I performed an initial survey and did not notice anything that set off alarms to run away from the boat.
Prior to making an offer and paying for an official survey I wanted opinions on these particular items:

The leading edge of the starboard toe rail where the genoa track stops shows signs of a crack thru the toerail, it does not appear to progress any further and I would guess there is considerable stress in that area when the genoa car is placed forward. concern?

Are there any concerns with hulls cracking aft of the keel on these boats, I heard something about encapsulated keels and troublesome water intrusion.

Are there any other sections of the boat I should direct my attention to prior to offer?

I feel comfortable with some repairs and we like the size of the 29T when you compare to our Paceship PY23.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

What are the halyard diameters, all running rigging should be replaced, I need to estimate cost.

Thanks

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Off the top of my head.

Dear friend, Congratulations on the upcoming purchase of an Ericson 29T. The first thought I had was to take a page out of Marty Kings book if a survey indicates a need for bottom blister repair. I mention Marty because that's what he did after buying his E31 that had been on the hard for four or five years prior (correct me on this one Marty). Now it may be a moot point given that if the boas is in Minnesota, she may spend such a short time in the water and a long period out, there may not be a blister issue at all. But to be in the enviable position of acquiring a boat with a bone dry bottom is not something to pass up. My best guess is that the line you'll need is 3/8". Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA