• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

A new stripe in gel coat

Stuart 28-2

Member II
My 1988 28-2 sits a little low in the water leaving the water line mark a little higher than the white stripe intended as the water line. See photo - you can see the water line mark in the blue.
To make it look better I am considering increasing the height of the white stripe by about an inch.
Is it feasible to do a white stripe like that the full length of the boat over the top of blue gelcoat?

I'm hoping it's a job that can be done over a few days once all planning done and product in hand.

I haven't done any gelcoat work yet but will be doing other repair work first before I take this on.

Attachments

• IMG_20210930_142237220.jpg
    IMG_20210930_142237220.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 16

jkfuller10

Our E35-II also sat off her lines a bit (low aft). Getting this straight was a challenging effort AND then leveling the new boot stripe (while keeping it the original thickness) was also challenging. We seeked the advise and support of the professionals and I was amazed at the complexity of the task. We did get the outcome we hoped for - but it took time, patience, and dollars. In the end, the boat looks fantastic~~

Attachments

• tempImage8Etd3r.png
    tempImage8Etd3r.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • tempImageG443A2.png
    tempImageG443A2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • tempImageoViUmY.png
    tempImageoViUmY.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
  • 23534A93-4DDF-4DFD-A4D8-3710A4144D23_1_201_a.jpeg
    23534A93-4DDF-4DFD-A4D8-3710A4144D23_1_201_a.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 6550E235-80BF-4666-871D-04B23F8BBC08_1_201_a.jpeg
    6550E235-80BF-4666-871D-04B23F8BBC08_1_201_a.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 39

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The easy solution to marine growth under the factory boot stripe is to extend the bottom paint up -- at the cost of the attractive stripe. Many Ericsons seem to require this when loaded with gear.

But really, a yard can do anything you want with paint, which adheres fine to sanded gelcoat. Yes, a bit expensive.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
You have to choose your battles with a (in my case) 52-year-old boat. After many years of wrestling with bootstripe paint, I painted over the bootstripe with bottom paint and added a vinyl stripe above it.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
I second Christian’s suggestion. Did it myself this year and the absence of the scum line is a 28% improvement in my general waterline appearance.

Stuart 28-2

Member II
Our E35-II also sat off her lines a bit (low aft). Getting this straight was a challenging effort AND then leveling the new boot stripe (while keeping it the original thickness) was also challenging. We seeked the advise and support of the professionals and I was amazed at the complexity of the task. We did get the outcome we hoped for - but it took time, patience, and dollars. In the end, the boat looks fantastic~~
Just revisiting this post. That does look fantastic!
Do you know how many hours of labor it took?

jkfuller10

The bottom / rudder / stripes / transom project was time consuming - thus costly. However, we are very pleased with the outcome.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I tried that a few years ago. Ended up with a few small blisters within the boot stripe. Turns out that to be really effective, I should have started from scratch and extended the barrier coat up over the boot stripe, then repainted the stripe and filled in the bottom paint.