• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

A Rare E33 For Sale

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Saw this listing in SoCal today. I think there were only about 25ish of these built.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Wow! Super-interesting layout! Obviously designed for distance (overnight) racing, as you might expect from a Ron Holland design of that era.
Look at the fantastic engine access! The wide open cockpit is also set up for a racing crew (traveller must be on the bridgedeck at the companionway).
The hull is kind-of an E32-3 on steroids with those flared topsides. (actually, since the E33 precedes the E32-3, maybe the latter is an E33 in a rocking chair).
I'd like to see pics of the rig - looks like running backstays.
Also, in the forepeak, we see what looks like a wire section that maybe anchors an inner forestay?

I just found this:
- she's fractional-rigged, so, yes, those are running backstays at the back of the cockpit photo

Last edited:

markvone

Sustaining Member
Wow. That is a different layout from mine (hull #3) which I think was the standard. Mine looked like the brochure anyway. On this one the galley and chart table have been swapped port and starboard and moved forward of the settees. Also there are both port and starboard pilot berths like on the E36RH and no quarter berth. My E33RH only had only a port side pilot berth and qtr on stbd with storage where the stbd pilot would be, like the sailboatdata.com layout. I believe this hull is the former Ericson factory race boat then named OUTLAW and on the cover of the brochure. Seth reported that the factory race boat had a custom interior with nothing in the bow and stern. It also originally had a custom, super bendy spar, not that the factory tried to skew the race results to sell more boats :).
The wire section in the forepeak is an anchor for the spin pole downhaul track on the foredeck.
I sent Seth a PM to check it out. His old E36RH factory race boat came up for sale in VA a while ago.

Mark

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I did a double-take on this one. the galley /chart table are completed swapped from my 33RH layout . I didn’t know there was a 33RH in Oxnard. Interesting find for anyone that is interested in this boat. Too bad the photos are kind of crappy.

Last edited:

markvone

Sustaining Member
Edit: The galley and chart table are NOT swapped port and stbd.

I found the old thread, see post #9 by Seth:

Mark

markvone

Sustaining Member
Here is the E33RH brochure from the resources tab. The exterior picture on page 2 is this boat. The interior shots are of the standard interior.

Attachments

• e33_color_brochure.pdf
    366.3 KB · Views: 39

markvone

Sustaining Member
Seth says this is a production E33RH not the prototype he sailed as OUTLAW. They made the production molds from the prototype hull.
Interesting that you could change the interior on the production boat.