• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

A Sailing Family at the Dawn of Multihulls

paul culver

Member III
Standard or Super 8mm?
As a cohort of that "certain time" your video brought back memories for me. Thanks Christian.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
All Super 8. Twenty years ago I reedited the film on my Elmo, then projected it, videoed the screen, then used pass-through to digitize from the analog tape. Flicker was a problem solved by matching frame rates, and the whole transfer took a lot of experimentation. I had previously paid to digitize old film on a sprocketless machine, which came out very bad indeed ("sir, you didn't pay for a technician to color time it"--and this was in Hollywood, mind you). I'm sure digitizing is easier and cheaper today.

paul culver

Member III
When I had a local media transfer shop do some digitizing for me I was amazed to see the array of old equipment they had on hand. It was like a museum. I saw everything but an Edison wax cylinder phonograph and a wire magnetic recorder. Maybe I missed that shelf. It must be quite a challenge to keep everything functional as parts become scarce to nonexistent.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One trick for all of us with old home video--don't throw away the obsolete camera it was shot on. The device may be crucial to the digitizing process.