• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

About to jump into boat ownership

ThomasAPorter

Hello all. New member. I am in a change of life moment: about to sell a house in Los Angeles and at the same time, a marina called me to offer a waitlisted live-aboard slip... I have a couple working years left and could easliy live on a boat (single, and I don’t own a lot of stuff except tools).

Years of boat lurking now becomes a serious boat search with August 1 as the date I will start paying for the slip. Long ago I sailed across the Pacific on other people's boats. I have always said, other people's boats and other people's kids are the best, because the messy parts are somone else's responsibility!

But on other people's boats someone else always docks and anchors and took the responsibility for what broke. I have been sailing some on other people’s boats in the last couple years too – sailing I am ok with. Once away from land there's less that is going to go wrong in a hurry. Docking and anchoring scare me to death.

I’ll start a sailing class (ASA 101 and 102) this week to get a refresher.

Slip is 40 foot, minimum 35 foot boat to live aboard legally. The Catalina 36, 38 and 380 are on my list as is a Hunter 35 and quite a few other boats in the 35 to 38 range. I keep coming back to Ericson, either the 35 or the 38. They seem like a lot of boat for about the same money as a decent Catalina 36, and their reputation and build quality are higher. I want a solid hull (or foam cored- no balsa) and would love a deck without balsa but they seem sorta rare for my price range.

There are a few Ericsons 38s for sale in either Los Angles or San Diego and I see fewer 35 footers. I want a boat I can comfortably take out on my own after a little practice. How realistic is that as a new boat owner on an Ericson 38? One thing -- the slip has fingers on both sides, so while learn I am only going to ding my own boat, and not someone else's.

I would love to find a boat with a decent exterior and engine. I am fine with (and actually prefer) one that needs elbow grease as well as sails, rigging and electronics. I figure good bones (dry with a decent engine) for a decent price and I can add the rest with time, money, effort and money. Oh, and money.

I have made a few calls and will start seeing the boats on my short list next weekend. Gotta say, I went from “maybe I’ll buy a boat” to “I am going to buy a boat” really quick and I keep smiling. Change is good for the soul.

Thanks for any replies!

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Sounds like you are heading for a wonderful adventure--finding the right boat, and beginning to live-aboard! :)
If you look at lots of boats in coming months you'll begin to get a feel for what you like and don't like, and differences in build quality to help you decide. But buy a boat that you can eventually be proud to own and sail, you'll be happier in the long run.

Although I'm married with wife, kids and grandkids, I do alot of singlehanding. With practice, you will be able to dock your boat, taking into account wind, current, boat speed, etc. so don't let that frighten you. I always go slow--only as fast as you want to hit the dock!--but fast enough to have steerage, usually coming into dock at a half a knot speed, then put it in reverse with throttle for a moment, and then step onto the dock. Similarly, anchoring is no big deal, but ensure you have the right anchor, chain, line, etc. You can read about best practice for anchoring, but once you have it figured, it opens so many good options. I now much prefer being at anchor in a quiet, scenic bay over being at a marina dock where I have to deal with other people, music, dogs, chairs on the docks, etc. I still sail with my wife at times especially on longer trips, and with kids and grandkids--sometimes a whole boat load!--but I still love my time alone on the boat.

Good luck in your venture, and let us know what you decide to buy!

Frank

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
We bought a boat with good bones that needed a fair amount of updating and some repair. While we're still happy with our purchase, in hindsight I think we'd wait for a boat that was closer to turnkey. My rough formula now is that an extra $10K in initial purchase price buys you stuff that would cost $20K to put in after you own the boat. And that's if you do a lot of the work yourself. Even if you get a turnkey boat there will Always be things to fix and upgrade. Triple project time estimates then think hard about how you want to spend your time. Also, it can be a hassle to stow your home gear to go sailing. This keeps some people from sailing as much as they thought they would. That said, I've had a number of friends who were liveaboards and it was a great life for them. Good luck!!

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
This is a lot of life change to take on at one time. Create time for yourself to make thoughtful decsions.

Take your sailing classes and practice coming in and out of the slip. See lots and lots and lots of boats.

Put off the marina as long as possible. (They won't really care if you're paying for the slip, right?) Rent an apartment for a couple of months if need be.

Hopefully selling a house in LA in 2022 means a happy financial outcome. Buy the nicest boat you can stomach, but take your time shopping. I think I would be depressed a lot of the time if I woke up every morning in a 'project boat.'

Rhett_m

Member I
We bought a boat with good bones that needed a fair amount of updating and some repair. While we're still happy with our purchase, in hindsight I think we'd wait for a boat that was closer to turnkey. My rough formula now is that an extra $10K in initial purchase price buys you stuff that would cost $20K to put in after you own the boat. And that's if you do a lot of the work yourself. Even if you get a turnkey boat there will Always be things to fix and upgrade. Triple project time estimates then think hard about how you want to spend your time. Also, it can be a hassle to stow your home gear to go sailing. This keeps some people from sailing as much as they thought they would. That said, I've had a number of friends who were liveaboards and it was a great life for them. Good luck!!
That’s very good advice. I bought an E35-3 for 20k and have done a complete refit from keel bolts to masthead. Literally every system on the boat I’ve gone through and refit. Probably 30k in parts, and countless man hours. You really have to love working on boats, or it will become an absolute nightmare. When living on a boat, there’s always something to do. The days of going home and chilling on the couch will be few and far between, but I’ve found it to be a fulfilling endeavor and sailing my boat brings me a lot of joy.
make sure you choose a boat with good hotel amenities like a separate shower stall and a good galley.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For living aboard on a budget my choice would probably be a trawler. If it had to be a sailboat, it would be Hunter or Catalina or similar, something with volume and a "bedroom," which an Ericson 38 does not have.

Now of course if you're heading off cruising, I guess that's different. I would not like to live aboard my current boat in a slip. Many better choices for that.

jtsai

Member III
I concur with Mr. Williams' comment. I spent time aboard a newer model Catalina 34 and found myself repeating the phrase "ergonomically correct". Design features that have nothing to do with sailing characteristics become important when spending 24/7 onboard.

peaman

Sustaining Member
Be sure to read the fine print on the slip contract. I recently bought a 40' slip in a "dockominium" that strictly enforces actual boat length to not more than 1' LESS than the slip size. Nominal boat length is usually the overall length of the hull, not including overhanging gear like bow pulpit, anchor, or self-steering vane. I found that my 32' Ericson is actually 34' overall, so not a problem for my slip. Make sure it isn't a problem for your boat.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Be sure to read the fine print on the slip contract. I recently bought a 40' slip in a "dockominium" that strictly enforces actual boat length to not more than 1' LESS than the slip size. Nominal boat length is usually the overall length of the hull, not including overhanging gear like bow pulpit, anchor, or self-steering vane. I found that my 32' Ericson is actually 34' overall, so not a problem for my slip. Make sure it isn't a problem for your boat.
Excellent point. It's common for 'guest docks' at marinas to charge by the real foot of total length. When visiting ports up in BC, it's not uncommon to find an outer dock with painted markers, one foot apart, down the place for initial tie-up. It doesn't matter what your brochure sez.... you pay for total length.
Aside: some friends that spent 15 summers cruising in BC had swing-in davits on the stern of their Cal-34, just so at times they could store their RIB on the foredeck, swing in the davits, and avoid paying extra $ ! :)