• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

AC Electrical

GMaurer

Member II
I installed a new water heater over the past winter.

When I activate the heater though the panel circuit breaker, I noticed that the electrical cord (standard marine grade - 30A) gets quite warm within 10 feet or so of the plug-in to the boat.

Is this anything to worry about?

Greg
1988 E28

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Is the cord old or used enough to make you ponder whether it has some interior corrosion in the wires? I do not believe that it should be getting warm at all... This sounds worrisome to me.
New yellow 30 amp cables go on sale for about $40. to $45. at the boat shows every winter, BTW.
(Rare occurance, but we had a boat at our YC with an old cord that burned up a section of cord on the dock several seasons ago.) :p

How is the twist-lock inlet recepticle? Ours was bad and had to be replaced in '94 when the boat was surveyed for purchase. And, how is the interior #10 boat cable from the inlet to the main double-breaker?

Finally, you might want to check the AC connection at the panel and perhaps again at the tank for corrosion.

Best of luck,
Loren
'88 model Ericson-built Olson

hcpookie

Member III
Yeah warmth in the way you describe may indicate a problem. Do you mean the shore power wire, or the wire on the inside of the boat?

Warm is a relative term... the question is "how warm is warm"? My home vacuum cleaner gets a warm cord...

A few thoughts... I'm assuming this plugs into the AC line...

Did you put in new wire inside? What is the rating for the appliance? You may consider rewiring the panel, since a thicker wire will take more amperage. This would reduce fire hazards. The panel circuit breaker or fuse would still kick off at the published threshold no matter how thick the wire.

This is just a thought. The 30-year-old AC wire in my E27 is brittle and every exposed end has corrosion several inches into the (cracked) insulation. I am going to rewire this "before" I need to install the dehumidifier for the winter.

You didn't mention if this is a plugged appliance - also consider installing a GFCI plug on the AC line. That's cheap insurance right there... and also an early-warning device, because if the appliance continually trips it, then there is something that needs attention on the circuit.

Final thought - you said it was installed last Winter. If the appliance itself has a defective component, it could be drawing additional power. Maybe, maybe not, but it could be bad.

HTH,
- Jerry