• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Accumulator tank?

u079721

Contributing Partner
In a recent thread someone else asked about the function of what he learned was his accumulator tank in his water system.

My 1989 E38-200 didn't have one. Was this a goof, or did other Ericsons also not come equipped with them? Maybe it was an option?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Our 1984 E30+ does not have one either. I have considered adding one, as it should reduce the cycling of the water pump and extend it's life, but the challenge is finding space to add it in the already tight engine compartment. They are not expensive to buy, and come in a couple of sizes/configurations.
I'm still pondering it, but it's way down on my project list.
Frank.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
That was my post.

:)

On the E30+ System Plan drawings that I downloaded it shows the "accumulation tank" on the Engine Plumbing drawing with a note, "Universal only." So I assumed it meant that the tank was only used with the Universal engines.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I'm puzzled as I have the Universal engine (16 hp, model 5416/M20), but don't have an accumulator on my 1984 E30+. :confused: I wonder if others have it, and where it is on their boats....
Frank.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
My 35 did not have one. I thought about adding one but the pump was pretty tired and needed replacing first so I bought a Jabsco VSD pump that does not require an accumulator tank. It runs very quietly and efficiently. After one season, I am very happy with it. The only downside is that last season we developed a small leak and the pump silently drained one of our water tanks into the bilge. When it gets air, it gets much louder which woke me up. A standard pump will let you know the water is running immediately.

http://www.jabsco.com/products/mari...sensor_max_pumps_31750_31755/iid_23/index.htm

Shadowfax

Member III
I don't believe an accumulator was a stock item on Ericson's. I installed one on mine and it works but I don't know if is worth the expense and effort. If you do get one buy a bigger one rather then a smaller one.

I have no idea what the engine has to do with it, as it is an unrelated system. Accumulators are a plumbing device to cut down on pulsating water caused by a slow running pump and as a cushion to the water pressure so that the pump doesn't run as soon as you turn on the water pump

u079721

Contributing Partner
I don't believe an accumulator was a stock item on Ericson's. I installed one on mine and it works but I don't know if is worth the expense and effort.

I probably went a year or two before I realized that many boats even have such a thing as an accumulator tank, and by then I too questioned why go through the expense. I rather liked the loud noise of the pump reminding me to use less water. And since we had a very convenient foot pump, we tended to use that for most things other than washing dishes.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
None on our '88, and the first owner had put a lot of options on the boat. I added one when I reformatted the water piping layout.We are talking about the pressure accumulator in the drinking water system, right?
My guess is that this was not standard, and perhaps not on the regular factory option list, either.
Loren

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I was reading something in Nigel Calder's book on marine diesel engines and there was something in there about making sure the pressure cap on the tank and the pressure cap on the engine are the same rating. (Or one of them could be lower, but I don't remember which one; the book is on the boat right now...)

The one on my boat is definitely connected to the engine.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I was reading something in Nigel Calder's book on marine diesel engines and there was something in there about making sure the pressure cap on the tank and the pressure cap on the engine are the same rating. (Or one of them could be lower, but I don't remember which one; the book is on the boat right now...)

The one on my boat is definitely connected to the engine.

I believe that you are describing the "overflow tank" that is connected by a small hose to the top of the coolant tank "pressure cap", on the exhaust side of a Universal diesel.

Maybe?

Loren

Mike.Gritten

Member III
I think that you are referring to the "expansion tank". This is similar to the system on automobiles. There is a pressure cap on a remote mounted tank which you remove to add/top-up the water-antifreeze coolant for your engine. Some marine diesels use them, some don't.

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I must be really lucky, my boat's got everything!

:)

Overflow/expansion tank AND accumulation tank.

The overflow tank is like the one in my car; basically just a plastic jug connected to the pressure cap on the radiator. Neither the one in my car nor the one on the boat has a pressure cap. Plus, I've never seen any "overflow" in the tank on the boat...

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
The PO of my E38 was a plumber..... There is a full-size residential accumulator tank in the space stbd of the galley sink in the cabinet! Works VERY well. RT