• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Actual Berth Size (Master Thread)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ok, cant edit previous post, so here is the layout.

View attachment 43257
One trivial curiosity question - are there (maybe options?) opening ports into the cockpit footwell? I ask because our O-34 had one port aft in the aft cabin and either one or two were optional facing inward into the footwell.
I added one more, many years ago to give that area added light and ventilation.

LameBMX

Member II
One trivial curiosity question - are there (maybe options?) opening ports into the cockpit footwell? I ask because our O-34 had one port aft in the aft cabin and either one or two were optional facing inward into the footwell.
I added one more, many years ago to give that area added light and ventilation.
There are not ports between the aft berth and the cockpit. That is a great idea though, I am hesitant because the roof liner is there and in pretty good shape. Though I do want ports that open for the forward most ports, mostly to be able to vent the head (sorry dock neighbors when you arrive).

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I recall going way beyond the old advice about "measure twice & cut once". I spent some real time tracing pencil lines on the outside face and trying to calculate where the frame would be inside. I did not want to mess up the vinyl "headliner" material so that the new port light frame could not cover it. I finally drilled an eighth inch hole at a center point, and then could determine accurately where the rectangular pattern had to be centered on the inside. I had to drill a couple of holes, slightly different heights, to get it right. IMHO (of course it's just my opinion) my finished port light install looks "just like factory". Really worth it on a warm summer night!

LameBMX

Member II
You have me thinking along those lines. That side of the cockpit is shaded afternoon also with where the slip is. I really feel you on the time involved. I installed two in the front of my Southcoast. Literally days of the frames taped there just to look at, until the angles were just right. I measured the first time and put them up all nice and even between the line of the cabin top and where the cabin met the deck. When I stepped back, the boat looked sad. It was like installing eyes on the boat creating an expression. Wound up installed with the outer edges on the slightest incline possible so the boat wasn't looking at you disapprovingly.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Is this an E29?
Thanks
That appears to be for a 28+. E29 dimensions in post #19

Retrofit opening port to the quarterberth project here. After living on board for a month I have to say its a necessity, not an option. Just select your port carefully and ensure there are no sharp bits on the spigot, since it will be lurking around your ankles while you sail.

LameBMX

Member II
Retrofit opening port to the quarterberth project here. After living on board for a month I have to say its a necessity, not an option. Just select your port carefully and ensure there are no sharp bits on the spigot, since it will be lurking around your ankles while you sail.

I want to do that so bad, but I still have the headliner in good shape. Another project for another year I suppose. At least my appears roomy compared to your quarter berth, but dang if it's not a dead zone for ventilation, and the motor doesn't help if you get back closer to sleep time. to top it off, all my outlets and fan cords conspire to be a few feet too short to use a fan lol.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I want to do that so bad, but I still have the headliner in good shape. Another project for another year I suppose. At least my appears roomy compared to your quarter berth, but dang if it's not a dead zone for ventilation, and the motor doesn't help if you get back closer to sleep time. to top it off, all my outlets and fan cords conspire to be a few feet too short to use a fan lol.
Aft cabin on the new boat has three opening ports and an overhead hatch! Oh, and a fan. :p

The dog loves sticking his head in ("Are you up yet? The sun is almost up! Walkies time!")
Or out as the case may be ("Are you done with those scary big white flappy things yet? Is it safe to come out?")