• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Adding a portlight/window to cockpit seating to illuminate quarter berth E-32

Macgyro

Amazingly Still Afloat
Blogs Author
Has anyone tried adding a portlight or access plate to the cockpit seating area (on the vertical face of the seat) above the port-side quarter berth? I was thinking about adding one or two at about calf-level when seated to help illuminate the dark cavern that is my quarter berth.

I have to imagine that the fiberglass in this area is fairly thin, but there is nothing behind it to interfere. I was looking at three options. #1 Cheap 8" round "access plates" that have a clear screw in type cover to allow in light when closed, or when open, to ventilate and allow in light (and rain), or #2 more expensive opening port windows that may provide better structural integrity, and could be open in the rain. Or #3 light without air- fixed portlights like most of the rest of my windows in the boat.

I've seen this option on boats with an aft stateroom, but I was curious if anyone had an opinion on if this was a good idea for a quarter berth. (Note: I recently added my 110v AC electrical panel to the aft bulkhead of the quarter berth and, while the perfect location for the wiring, I have to use a flashlight to see it, thus prompting my desire for more natural light)

Thanks as always for your opinions!

-Dean

Last edited:
We have an aft-cabin 38-200 with three opening Lewmar ports in the area you are considering. If they weren't there, I'd put 'em in - here on the Gulf Coast it'd be a hot dark hole without them. We also have curtains on them for privacy when we want it. Through 23 years we have never wished those ports weren't there.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
My E38 has a port-side quarter berth with one aft-facing port. It helps a lot when rummaging around back there, although there is lighting. The quarter berth is usually our storage area. It is a regular Bomar inward-opening port just like the rest of the cabin ports. I would recommend a sturdy frame port to make up for the loss of the material you cut out.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The 32-3 has one, aft-facing. And I don't always remember to close it before hosing down the boat....

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Shedding some more light on the question

Our '88 boat came with the one standard opening port in the aft cabin berth area. This was at the aft end, facing aft into the T-cockpit footwell.
I added one more facing into the main footwell. This added a lot of light and ventilation.

I have also seen another O-34 with two opening ports facing inward; perhaps that was a special order.

Apropos of whatever, when I cut the hole for mine, there was a piece of (approx) half-inch ply glassed to the vertical side of the cockpit well. I suspect the the area needed reinforcement because it is flat.
Perhaps Ericson did this on other models, but I have no way to know if it was standard practice in the 70's.

** Similar thread: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?11746-A-portlight-in-the-cockpit-E29

Loren

Last edited:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I've seen several 32-200's with ports where you want one. Ours has the port facing aft like Loren. I wonder why some had it and others didn't. Must have been an option.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I've seen several 32-200's with ports where you want one. Ours has the port facing aft like Loren. I wonder why some had it and others didn't. Must have been an option.

$$$$$$$$

My E-34 has one facing the cockpit and one on the aft end. I think the former was an option. Possibly a second was also an option.

Macgyro

Amazingly Still Afloat
Blogs Author
Thanks for the input!

It sounds like a positive addition. I was going to buy one of those $15 round access panels to get the job done now, but I think I'm going to look around for a rectangular opening port even if it takes a little extra time. I'm also going to look at the aft end of the seat, but I'm pretty sure that surface opens into an enclosed space aft of a bulkhead on the older E-32's. Plus there is such limited space in that area for the helmsman's feet, there wouldn't be much light getting through the window. I think a flush faced inward opening port looks like the best option for now.

Thanks!
Dean

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Why did I get involved with this thread, now I am thinking this might be nice on my E29, just more money and more work.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Port Light supplier, less known

This thread reminded me of a brand of opening port that builders were using back in the '70's. Around here, there were some Cascade 36's with them, for instance.

I dimly recall the story that the old Fuller Brush Company was once owned by a boater who was reportedly displeased with the offerings for ports back in the 60's and 70's, and decided to have his company make some. He then sold them to other boaters as well. I doubt that most of their brush salesmen even know of the existence of those niche products.

So I did a web search and by golly the company still has them for sale. The cast plastic does not look as trick as the newer aluminum Lewmar's and their ilk, but still.....
Might be an option for an older boat with no other "modern style" opening ports to try to match.

http://fullerindustriesllc.com/portlights/

IIRC they used to put the specs for their ports on their web site, but nowadays you'd have to contact them.

Anyhow, it's funny how the "past" is sometimes not so far away after all!
:rolleyes:

Cheers,
Loren

Eric B

Learning
Quarter berth ports

In my 1988 E 32-3, I have 3 (yes, three!) of the rectangular shaped windows that open. One facing aft, two facing starboard. All three open to the inside.
Excellent for light, and more importantly for me, ventilation. My 2 cents..

Eric

clp

Member III
Yeah I started but never finished the project that I started that other thread on. Simply have not gotten to it. (A couple of years ago, I was working on other boats, and was paying someone to work on my boat simultaneously, in the same yard, work that I can easily accomplish myself). The other reason I haven't pursued this yet is what kind of window I want. In retrospect, the plastic ones look like they came off of a Hunter, or a Yugo, cheap and short lived. I am intrigued however by the New Found Metals port lights though. But because I will replace the four windows up front at the same time, and my favorite vendors don't stock them, I have done little short of research on the project. I will, just have not yet.

...and at this point in time I see little if anything that will prohibit putting a hole in that area. The only problem I see is the drilling itself. I've been installing a wind vane steering unit for 'The Slimey Limey' this past week, and I told him, "I don't have one BIT of problem drilling holes in your boat. It's drilling holes in MY boat where I have the problem..."

Error404. File not found..

Last edited:

Eric B

Learning
Lewmar Ports in quarter berth E 32-3

I have 423,672 pictures of my boat. This morning I took the first pictures that include these opening ports.

Ports.jpg

These two, plus the one facing aft. Open to the inside. Lewmar.

Eric

'88 E 32-3
Liliana

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Eric, as you say they'd make good ventilation in a hot climate. Nobody needs light to sleep. Do they get kicked when the cockpit is crowded? I feel like I'd be putting my foot through if they were open when sailing.

Last edited:

Eric B

Learning
Ports

Hello again, Christian,

I have never (yet) had, or seen, any feet in those ports. Just a bit of water from rain or washdown,
when I have neglected to close them...

Eric

Slick470

Member III
I added a lewmar port this summer in the cockpit for the quarterberth. Fairly easy install, as long as you don't mind cutting that big of a hole in your boat. The fiberglass is fairly thin, so I needed to buy shorter machine screws than what come with the kit to complete the install. There was also a plywood backer in the area that I needed to trim a bit to get the flange to seat.

We put it in more for ventilation than anything and it definitely helps.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
...The fiberglass is fairly thin, so I needed to buy shorter machine screws than what come with the kit to complete the install...

I've re-bed several Lewmar portlights and found that Ericson didn't bother to get metric screws for the ones that needed a different length. They just forced in English threads. Some only had a couple of threads holding them.

PITA finding the metric stainless screws in my area. Fastenal and/or McMaster-Carr shipped them in for me. I still have left overs so I assume I've had my last leak. :)

Slick470

Member III
Tom, our local west marine didn't have much of a selection of metric anything, however I lucked out and the local hardware store had a great selection, so I didn't need to order them. It's nice to have the proper stuff.

Although, I did end up using shorter screws than the lewmar instructions said I could use. The port is in nice and tight and so far hasn't leaked. On the other hand, I have heard if you try to use screws that are too long you can tweak the frame.