• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Adding a Propane Locker to my E 27

ewack5353

Hi all, I'm restoring my 73' E-27 and am considering adding a propane locker for a Force 10 heater and gimballed Stove/oven. Has anyone done this? And what is the best location for the locker? My options include: 1). shorten the quarter berth which would require modifying the seat area in the cockpit... 2). use the forward hanging-locker, which I rarely use 3). adapt the area where the ice chest is currently. This option would be accessed through the storage locker in the cockpit. Note: my diesel fuel tank is in there. The advantage to using the hanging locker is that it is the right size and has a ventilation through hull that was originally for the water tank. I understand the requirements for a propane locker but I'm not sure where the best location would be. I only do local cruising on the Columbia river so storage is not as important to me as comfort (Heat, food prep, etc.). I welcome your suggestions. THX

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Propane bottles need to be stored outside. Usually in the cockpit or on a mount on the rail. If enclosed they need a vent to drain away gas, which is heavier than air.

peaman

Sustaining Member
A separate exterior locker like this may be your best bet. Place it where water poured into it will drain overboard and not over openable ports. You will also need a solenoid valve installed in the locker and a leak sniffer in the cabin to close the solenoid in case of a leak. Connect appliances with hose approved for use with propane. Propane is heavier than air, so leaks can collect in the bilge or other hidden compartments. Propane explosions can be very violent, and not unknown on poorly fitted or maintained boats.

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
A separate exterior locker like this may be your best bet. Place it where water poured into it will drain overboard and not over openable ports. You will also need a solenoid valve installed in the locker and a leak sniffer in the cabin to close the solenoid in case of a leak. Connect appliances with hose approved for use with propane. Propane is heavier than air, so leaks can collect in the bilge or other hidden compartments. Propane explosions can be very violent, and not unknown on poorly fitted or maintained boats.
I'm always amazed at the price of those.

hjohnson

S/V Sagres
This is part of the reason we use an unpressurized origo alcohol stove, and a Force-10 Kerosene heater on our E-27. We do have propane aboard, but only for the barbecue. Both the grill and the tube with the tanks hang off the back rail.