• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Adding breakers to the DC panel for Raymarine ev-100 auto pilot installation.

bozturk

Member I
Hello All, I need to add a 5 amp breaker switch and a 15 amp breaker switch to the empty "accessory" slots on my 12 volt panel for a 1985 32-III. Has anyone researched which manufacturer and model # to consider? They look like white toggle switches.

Thanks in advance for any input.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
I don't know but perhaps confusing "breaker switch" with "fuse"? Fuse goes in-line with the positive lead at the accessory itself. I may be confused. Perhaps a controlling "Auto Pilot" on/off switch on the DC panel...like "Outlets" or "Anchor Light" ?

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not sure if your '85 model has the 'push button' breaker style or the 'toggle switch' style of my '88 model panel. Newmar panel?
Can you post a picture of the panel front (and back) ?

I have changed out several breakers over the years; it's fiddly work and the little screws are tricky to get at. Takes patience and some perseverance. :)
Also a small right angle screwdriver.

bozturk

Member I
I don't know but perhaps confusing "breaker switch" with "fuse"? Fuse goes in-line with the positive lead at the accessory itself. I may be confused. Perhaps a controlling "Auto Pilot" on/off switch on the DC panel...like "Outlets" or "Anchor Light" ?
Those are not only on/off switches, but also circuit breakers. They do have a similar function as the inline fuse., but reusable....

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I installed a small fuse block behind my panel to power the:
IMG_8521 (1).JPG
NMEA2K/STNG network (5amp connection for the EV100)
AIS700
Axiom MFD

These three are switched on by a 15 amp breaker labeled "Instruments," but the fuse block protects each component at appropriately-limited fuses.

I have a separate (10amp) breaker for the wheel drive motor.

bozturk

Member I
View attachment 35047
AIS700
Axiom MFD

These three are switched on by a 15 amp breaker labeled "Instruments," but the fuse block protects each component at appropriately-limited fuses.

Thanks for sharing this. I have a quick question: Wheel drive motor is connected to and powered by ACU-100 controller not by the panel. So, do you have an inline circuit breaker/fuse between the motor and the controller or between the controller and the battery?

bozturk

Member I
View attachment 35047
AIS700
Axiom MFD

I assume 10 amp breaker is between the battery and the ACU-100 controller...

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Thanks for sharing this. I have a quick question: Wheel drive motor is connected to and powered by ACU-100 controller not by the panel. So, do you have an inline circuit breaker/fuse between the motor and the controller or between the controller and the battery?
I have

Battery Power -> 10amp panel dedicated circuit breaker "Accessory 1" -> ACU100 (with integrated fuse) -> Wheel Drive Motor.

The ACU has its own on-board fuse, so my impression was that no fuse protection is necessary between the ACU controller and the Wheel Drive Motor.

David Grimm

E38-200
If you already have a breaker labeled instruments you can use that circuit to activate a relay. Relays only draw milliamps. Use a fuse close to the battery to feed the switched portion of the relay to feed the autopilot. This method allows all instruments to come on with the one breaker switch without over taxing its current capabilities.

bozturk

Member I
If you already have a breaker labeled instruments you can use that circuit to activate a relay. Relays only draw milliamps. Use a fuse close to the battery to feed the switched portion of the relay to feed the autopilot. This method allows all instruments to come on with the one breaker switch without over taxing its current capabilities.
Endless Possibilities :)) Thanks for the advice but, I already purchased the circuit breakers for this project. I think I will run out of space the panel soon for the future projects.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I have

Battery Power -> 10amp panel dedicated circuit breaker "Accessory 1" -> ACU100 (with integrated fuse) -> Wheel Drive Motor.

The ACU has its own on-board fuse, so my impression was that no fuse protection is necessary between the ACU controller and the Wheel Drive Motor.
I double-checked this today and in fact I added an in-line fuse between the breaker and the ACU. This is probably overkill and will add complexity to trouble shooting if the breaker doesn’t pop but the motor stops.

So, I have:

Battery->Breaker Switch ->Fuse->ACU100 with integrated fuse -> drive motor.

Attachments

• B39553FF-B5E2-4010-A18A-CDFC4B4849AD.jpeg
    B39553FF-B5E2-4010-A18A-CDFC4B4849AD.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 15

bozturk

Member I
I double-checked this today and in fact I added an in-line fuse between the breaker and the ACU. This is probably overkill and will add complexity to trouble shooting if the breaker doesn’t pop but the motor stops.

So, I have:

Battery->Breaker Switch ->Fuse->ACU100 with integrated fuse -> drive motor.
Now the most basic question: where do i connect the ground wire? Seatalk ng power cable and the acu has +/-/g wires. Where does the ground go?
Thanks in advance....

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Now the most basic question: where do i connect the ground wire? Seatalk ng power cable and the acu has +/-/g wires. Where does the ground go?
Thanks in advance....
Look for a negative bus bar behind your panel, into which many black wires are secured. Negative ground wire go there.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Bozturk,

Go to Username/Account Details/Signature and let us know what boat and engine you have in th eSignature line, which will then appear below each post. This keeps folks from having to look up your profile each time, since everything we discuss here seems to relate to the model and year in question.

bozturk

Member I
Look for a negative bus bar behind your panel, into which many black wires are secured. Negative ground wire go there.
There is the red wire (positive), black wire (negative) and the naked ground wire. Where do i attach the naked ground wire? Same negative bus as the black?
1985 E32-3
Universal 25 diesel
City Island, NY20200813_200905.jpg

JSM

Member III
Had the same question when I installed my EV100 last month. Called an electrician friend who told me that the bare wire was a chassis ground and that I should ignore it.
Hooked up the red and black and everything worked just fine.

fool

Member III
The case ground wire is to protect against shock should a short circuit electrify the case. Without it when a short occurs you'll become the ground. Look on the engine for a wire (or battery cable) bolted to the block and follow it back to a bus bar. This is where your case ground should terminate.

Last edited: