• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Adjustable backstay on E-27

JPS27

Member III
I'm making, and considering making, numerous modifications to my E27.

First question I'd like to pose is, what are the drawbacks of taking off the adjustable backstay on my E-27?

The situation is that i'm replacing the standing rigging, and while I'm at it I'd like to get some bimini coverage over my head at the helm. Sun protection is a priority.

The person who would with help me fabricate structure and canvas said that the split backstay with the adjustable apparatus would make what I want difficult from a canvas/zipper standpoint. We went round and round with possible solutions. What I'm getting a quote on is frame attached to pushpit with option to zip it to the cockpit bimini that I already have.

So, thoughts on the back stay set up? what would I lose, what would change? I only adjust the thing out of curiosity. No racing involved.

Other considerations for sun coverage at the helm while cruising?
Thanks.
Jay

Attachments

• IMG_9260.JPG
    IMG_9260.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 23

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,
Although I rarely use our bimini, it does have two zippered slots at the stern to accommodate our adjustable backstay, so that's a feasible option for you.
I also don't race any more, but applying the adjustable backstay in a strong breeze reduces heel on our boat by about 5 degrees, making it a more comfortable sail. Applying the outhaul, boom vang and tightening the halyard also helps, but I wouldn't be without our adjustable backstay.
Frank

JPS27

Member III
Thanks, Frank. I don't suppose you have a picture of your bimini set up? The person I was working with is a well-respected person for this work in our area. She was convinced that having to deal with both the rigging cable and the line would be problematic.

Also, I was curious how much adjustment could there be with a masthead rig. (I know little of such matters).

I'd love to see any bimini set ups out there in our community for 27s. Thanks.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Thanks, Frank. I don't suppose you have a picture of your bimini set up? The person I was working with is a well-respected person for this work in our area. She was convinced that having to deal with both the rigging cable and the line would be problematic.

Also, I was curious how much adjustment could there be with a masthead rig. (I know little of such matters).

I'd love to see any bimini set ups out there in our community for 27s. Thanks.
Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the bimini as I use it so rarely its packed away in storage. But the two slots for the backstay are in the aft part of the top/roof of the bimini, and zip from the aft end about a foot forward to almost touch the backstay, thereby almost closing the bimini top at of the backstay. It's definitly doable.
Frank

klb67pgh

Member III
I took some pics of my back stay and bimini on my E25 today that may help. The bimini was salvaged from an O'Day 25. I'd rather have 3 bows but this one was laughably cheap and in great shape. It was probably designed to have the back stay zipper to the rear but it fits better this way. I leave the cloth off when not using it. I added the horizontal bars to connect the bows.

20220709_101120.jpg
20220709_110536.jpg

20220709_110547.jpg
20220709_100755.jpg

Attachments

• 20220709_100755.jpg
    20220709_100755.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 5

JPS27

Member III
Thank you very much, klb67. The pictures help a lot. Seems like it might be a good idea to just insist on accommodating the adjustable set up.

But... Can someone give me a quick tutorial as to how much benefit you get out of adjusting your backstay tension on a masthead rig? Is it indispensable?
thanks.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
But... Can someone give me a quick tutorial as to how much benefit you get out of adjusting your backstay tension on a masthead rig? Is it indispensable?
Given the number of middle-aged boats with only a vintage turnbuckle at the base of their backstay, and the obvious signs that it (almost) never gets touched, it seems plain that those sailors are quite content with their rigging and sailing decisions. In our little marina there are a lot of such boats, and the corollary is that most of those are seldom ever sailed, and that a fair number leave the dock once or twice a season, at the most.
If I happen to see them at a social function, and the topic turns briefly to their use of their boat, they seem quite content to be "sailors" and to be getting something positive out of their boat ownership and club membership.
I have to accept that they view boat ownership differently than I. :confused:
I mention this because this class of owner might be as high as a quarter of our members. Sometimes more.

Opinion: Since the BS (backstay) adjustment is what tensions the jib luff and allows the boat to easily point when sailing to weather, it is important even if not "indispensable" for actively sailed boats. Your jib is cut/designed for a certain shape and depth and this was calculated for a certain amount of headstay sag.

I am just an amateur and hopefully some of the site's riggers can weigh in on this.

dcoyle

Member III
The purpose of the adjustable backstay is to help depower the main sail. When tension is applied it bends the top of the mast stretching the luff and flattening the main. After tensioning the backstay The main sail draft moves aft a bit so the cunningham needs to be tensioned to move the draft forward again. We use it on our E33 constantly, usually it is the first step to help depower when wind kicks up.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
E33, E36, and the Olson boats have bendy masts. The backstay adjuster is a must in making the boat sail efficiently.

JPS27

Member III
So, when going to weather you might tighten down on the backstay adjuster to change the shape of the genoa, not the mainsail? or both. Or is it that you are improving the shape of the jib, but you have to tension the main in other ways to get it's shape to where it needs to be going to weather.

More confused than before... LOL.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Yes. It changes the shape of the main (flattens) and takes slack out of the forestay preserving the jib shape.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the bimini as I use it so rarely its packed away in storage. But the two slots for the backstay are in the aft part of the top/roof of the bimini, and zip from the aft end about a foot forward to almost touch the backstay, thereby almost closing the bimini top at of the backstay. It's definitly doable.
Frank
JPS27, while it is true you won’t get much mast bend by tightening the backstay, you will get enough to flatten the mainsail some. More importantly is you can drastically change the shape of the headsail. Looser headstay (loose backstay) will make the jib fuller at the luff allowing better speed and pointing in light air, and when it gets windy and the headstay sags too much and bounces as you go through waves, tightening the backstay will tighten the headstay, flattening the entry and reducing power and also aid in pointing (which is now negatively affected by too full of a headsail). As already said, I wouldn’t sail without an adjuster

JPS27

Member III
I want to thank everyone for the input. I'm definitely going to keep my adjuster! I can't integrate it with the bimini I'd like to install over the helm as klb67pgh did. When taking down the mast we realized how high above our heads the split backstay came together.

I think I'll change my topping lift set up, though, along klb's lines. Again, thanks for the advice.