• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Adjustable Genoa Cars

WBurgner

Member III
I just bought adjustable genoa cars for my E381 from Garhauer. Does anyone have experience with them and have advice on a) rigging the control lines and b) using them underway? I have a basic understanding of what I want to do, but it sure helps to hear from someone who has already worked with them so I can set them up most efficiently the first time.

Emerald

Hi Bill,

what model did you get? Can you post a picture of your side deck looking up from the cockpit to help visualize what it all looks like on your boat?

WBurgner

Member III
Genoa Cars

Hi David,
I stopped in briefly at the boat show this morning to talk to Mr. Garhauer again. I intended to buy a second set of car mounted swivel cam cleats, and small blocks to attach to the rear of the adjustable cars. That additional gear was to allow pulling the cars aft. He suggested a no-cost approach that did not require buying more gear. He suggested taking the tail of the 4:1 purchase line that departs the swivel cam cleat at the cockpit coaming, running it back forward, and making it fast on the rear of the movable block car. This would be in lieu of having it hang free in the cockpit. If the car needed an assist to move aft such as when the sheet is not loaded, you could pull that line. It sounds like this could be something of a continuous line approach.

I am curious to see how the lines can be handled. Right now there is 50' of line on each side. They suggested 5X the track length (9') and I rounded the 45 to 50 to be sure there was enough tail to work with. If this arrangement works I might be able to reduce the length. I was headed towards a second line on each side for pulling the car aft and that was starting to look like a bunch of line.

I will be back at the boat Wednesday and will set it up that way and take some pictures. I might get out for a bit and give it a try on the water. I can post pictures and comments at that time.

Emerald

Hi Bill,

a couple seasons ago, I actually picked up a pair of the low lead cars LLC2

as seen here :

http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=35

I like them very much, but have had my moments where I thought it would be nice to be able to remotely adjust them. Then I do need to remind myself of Emerald's purpose - I'm not saying she isn't a very nice sailing boat, but I'm cruising, not racing, and it's not that big a deal for me to go forward and adjust the cars close up in person :rolleyes:

I look forward to seeing how your setup works out. I've switched most all of my running gear to Garhauer, and have been very happy with it.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I would be interested to hear if these leads can actually be adjusted when under load. I have not seen any system that works well on the standard 1.25" T track, just too much friction. Even the Harken set up with bearings can be a bear to move under load on a 38. Please let us know how you make out with this set-up.

WBurgner

Member III
Adjustable cars

Ted,
These cars also have ball bearings and come with a 4:1 purchase to pull them forward. They come mounted on a about a 12" track that you butt to the boats track to slide the cars in place. They are pretty slippery once on the track, but I guess your concern is overcoming the tension on the sheet and is 4:1 enough.

I went with these after hearing my dock neighbor speak highly of them on his Catalina 400 with more sail area than I have. I will post comments when I get them set up and get a chance to work with them. Hopefully I will be able to get the boat out briefly on Wednesday.

E33MikeOx

Member II
I installer Garhauer's "E-Z Glide" adjustable genoa car system on our Ericson 33. As noted in previous posts, these cars roll on itty bitty ball bearings on your existing tee track, and actually work quite well. The Harken ststem is generally considered to be better, but replacing the track is a major hassle and a considerable expense. Ya pays yer money and makes yer choice!

Interesting foctoid: There are three or four "standard" sizes of Tee track. The thickness of the Tee varies with manufacturer and/or model. If you order a set of Garhauer E-Z Glide cars, please make very carful and precise measurement of the track Tee thickness! A measuring tape won't do it - you will probably need a precision caliper or similar measuring device. I found out the hard way that the Garhaur E-Z Glide cars are high precision units built for each specific "stardard" size of Tee track. A Garhaur catalog is a very nice thing to have in your boat library. They make very nice "boat jewlery" at affordable prices. I've replaced most of the various turning blocks on our E-33 with Garhaur blocks.

I would argue that remotely adjustable genoa cars are more useful and appropriate on a "cruising" boat than on a "racing" boat. Think about it - you race with a full crrew and having a crew member adjust the car when on the opposite tack in no big deal. When cruising, you typically have a much smaller crew - as few as single handed! Also, remotely adjustable cars are a perfect match to the roller furling/reefing headsails that we all have (or plan to have). The wind is up, you roll in some headsail by pulling a string, then move the genoa cars forward by pulling another string - all from the safety and comfort of the cockpit.

I have rigged my "pull backs" with bungee cord. One less string to deal with. The down side is that the bungees only last a couple of seasons, but bungee cord is "relatively" cheap. If there is sufficient interest, I might be persuaded to snap a few pics of my installation.

Mike O.
E-33 JP Foolish

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Foot is in mouth now... Did not know these cars had bearings. Thought they were just towable cars with sliders. Interesting for sure, but (flame suit donned) I am no fan of Garhauer stuff. Seen too much of it blow up offshore on deliveries their stainless corrode badly then fail. This is of course just my opinion which is worth what you will pay for it... FWIW SWL on these cars is 2k LBS. Thats less than their non adjusteable low lead blocks? Harken for example load blocks are all 4k or higher SWL with double that for breaking.

Last edited:

e38 owner

Member III
Garhauer

I have used the large Garhauer block and adustable car for about 4 years.
Only one rope will go through the model I chose.
It works fine. I may have some photos. Garhauer worked on the car several times so that it would work on the orginal track. They were very helpful.
I use a shock cord to hold the car back. At times I have just used the end of the rope out of the cleat and ran it back to the car. That also works but sometimes the car will slide forward when I don't want it to. The car has worked fine all except once this summer when we did not have enough purchase. I was on the wind in 25 knots with the number two and needed the car forward.

WBurgner

Member III
T Track

I measured the thickness of the T to be 3/16ths. The cars fit fine.

My neighbor used the shock cord method for pulling the car back, but went to the second line because the shock cord was being replaced every year due to the Florida sun. We will see how using the tail of the control line works and let you know.

Glad to hear others have had good luck with the set up.

Ericsean

Member III
Adjustable Cars

Bill, did you get boat show discount on the adjustable cars?

They are on my very long list for my E-38.

I had them on my E30-1 w/1" tracks and loved them.

WBurgner

Member III
Discount

Kevin,
There was a slight discount that offset tax and shipping, plus $10. The big benefit was being able to discuss the install with the Garhauers in person. I was originally thinking of a two line system (per side).

The weather and tides have not made it worth the 4 hour round trip to the boat to rig them and try them out, but I hope to try on Tuesday. I will add pictures of the initial rigging I settle on. I hope to do this as a single line setup.

Glad to hear you had good luck with yours.

Ericsean

Member III
Adjustable Cars

Bill, I forgot to mention that I used shock cord for a return system on my old cars. Just have to remember to attach them as far to the stern as possible to get some force exerted to pull the cars back to the back of the jib track. Worked great, lasts about three seasons.

WBurgner

Member III
Photo

OK, I got the boat out today. After resolving a head problem there was not much day left, but I tried out the adjustable cars. Well, at least I tried to.

Not much wind to speak of, but everything seems to work. I have attached the control line tail to the back of the adjustable car, making something of a closed line system. I will work with this for a while before cutting the line to a final length.

At present the line exits the cam cleat and returns to the forward adjustable car leaving a substantial loop. It is long enough to extend to the helm so I can adjust the cars fore/aft when short handed. That is the plan anyway. Experience will tell.

Attachments

• Adj Car 2.jpg
    Adj Car 2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 2,206