• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Aft Ventilation Cowl

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
My 1981 E38 has the setup for an aft ventilation cowl. Currently, it has the original flush deck plate cover on it. It's abut 3" diameter and I was hoping to use the low cost plastic cowl but it is slightly to large for the deck plate. https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=46208

Wondering if anyone is using the aft ventilation cowl and/or has a cowl available?

1911tex

Sustaining Member
My 1981 E38 has the setup for an aft ventilation cowl. Currently, it has the original flush deck plate cover on it. It's abut 3" diameter and I was hoping to use the low cost plastic cowl but it is slightly to large for the deck plate. https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=46208

Wondering if anyone is using the aft ventilation cowl and/or has a cowl available?
You mentioned your deck plate is 3". Your attachment to the Defender cowl also states the deck plate vent hole is 3". Did you purchase it and it's too large?

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
You mentioned your deck plate is 3". Your attachment to the Defender cowl also states the deck plate vent hole is 3". Did you purchase it and it's too large?
Yes, the plastic cowl is too large for the stainless steel deck plate by about 1/8"

1911tex

Sustaining Member
The referenced cowl comes with its own deck plate...could you replace the stainless with that one? I'm known to be confused!

Also might mention I always stuff some copper scrub pads down the vent throat to keep mud daubers and other flying critters out while still allowing airflow. Available at H/D and other hardware suppliers.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You can always adapt the base (this is snipped from a blog entry):

1-ERicson 38 Vetus cowls installed.jpg

The Vetus bases are too small for the factory hole. I had the plastics shop make me adapter rings, which screw to the deck. The Vetus base is fastened to that. The stainless cowls are held by a collar that matches the base radius well, and look pretty standard.

1-IMG_0299.jpg