• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Air Conditioning

markvone

Sustaining Member
Question for those of you with A/C in hot climates, do you leave the A/C on all the time or does it cool off the boat quickly once you arrive at the hot boat?
Hot = same or worse than Annapolis (just finished 20 day streak of 90+, starting week of 95 predicted).
I have a slip with free shore power and visit the boat often.

Thanks,

Mark

gadangit

Member III
Hi Mark-
We run ours constantly to keep the humidity in check. Boat feels “fresher” and not stuffy. My office was in the marina, so I was constantly on/off the boat. We treasured the winter days when this thing shuts off.

We are no longer in Texas and will leave Florida on Monday so hopefully less need for AC as time goes by.

Chris

CSMcKillip

Question for those of you with A/C in hot climates, do you leave the A/C on all the time or does it cool off the boat quickly once you arrive at the hot boat?
Hot = same or worse than Annapolis (just finished 20 day streak of 90+, starting week of 95 predicted).
I have a slip with free shore power and visit the boat often.

Thanks,

Mark
When I installed our unit (First time with a AC on the boat) For the First 9 years we would only use the AC when at the boat. By the time I went down to the dock-opened the boat, turned it on, came back up and grabbed the cooler the boat would start to cool off. It really worked fast. Im in Oklahoma so the heat here is in the 100 during the Summers. When we moved the boat we are at a new marina. The power is paid by the marina as part of the slip cost - Fixed Fee... So this year has been the First to leave the unit on. I have a Marine Air 12,500 unit, it has a setting for Humidity - I set the temp at 80 degrees and it has made a huge difference in how the boat smells inside. Its also nice to open her up and it already be somewhat cool.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Our AC is but the common and simple garden variety window unit - small as we could get to fit in the cockpit in a compact bridge deck with removable panel when in use.

The unit works very well in keeping our 32’ Ericson and us comfortable inside. The V-Berth during a really HOT day struggles a bit, but still beats the outside heat!

We leave our unit on most of the time during the really hot days of summer since our electric is not metered but instead a straight charge.

Actually, this way, the boat stays dryer humidity wise AND cooler for when we arrive without having to displace the summer heat after our arrival.

7FE755F6-CE72-4902-955B-66C4D457721C.jpegA6A08747-595B-44F5-844F-FF94D9305A63.jpeg