• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Alcohol now illegal in California?

racushman

O34 - Los Angeles
FWIW the HEET product seems to burn no differently than regular denatured alcohol. And yes the ~$6 four pack at Walmart is my go-to. The youtube video posted above was my guide. Maybe it's advancing middle age, but I haven't worried at all about other potential additives. If I were a betting man, I'd guess it's pure methanol. Also, yellow heet is not marketed as an injector cleaner (the red version is).

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Why? Because the fine print always reads “According to the State of California........” :(
A friend of mine and I just installed a Tides Track on my mast yesterday. This tag was stapled to the front page of the installation manual.

I guess this explains all those mysterious cancer deaths and birth defects we've been seeing at the marina....

Attachments

• IMG_20210520_090409584.jpg
    IMG_20210520_090409584.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 27

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
A friend of mine and I just installed a Tides Track on my mast yesterday. This tag was stapled to the front page of the installation manual.

I guess this explains all those mysterious cancer deaths and birth defects we've been seeing at the marina....
I should also mention that when I read this tag I thought to myself, "Dang! Is it really worth taking these risks just to have an easily-raised and dropped mainsail?" Being 66-years old, I figure my risk of contracting a birth defect is somewhat reduced at this point, but the cancer thing has me worried. But, throwing caution to the wind, I went ahead and installed the track despite the manifest cancer risk. I figured I'd prioritize quality of life, with a mainsail that raises as slick as snot, over longevity.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
What’s the latest conventional wisdom on alcohol versus propane? To give you a sense of my useage, I have owned Aylwin for five years and have never filled the propane tank (and never gotten the oven to work). A piece in the Economist this morning pointed out that natural gas is going through the roof and I always wonder if it’s collecting in my bilge. When I finally draw down the tank, I know it’s going to cost a few boat bucks to replace or refurbish the old tank so maybe it’s time to rethink? A gimbaled stove top might be just fine and I know there are people who have looked at life from both sides out there. Thanks for playing.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Of course now I’m reading that you just can’t get Origos anymore. Guess I need to learn to stop worrying and love the bomb.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Of course now I’m reading that you just can’t get Origos anymore. Guess I need to learn to stop worrying and love the bomb.
The latest seems to be convection ( electric) . I have not looked into it yet, but that is what my slip neighbor has been telling me .

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
I put a two burner Origo on my last boat. After trying a few products claiming to be "clean/kleen" I started using shellac reducer. It has a very high (%90) ethanol content. It's also very expensive compared to 'camp fuels', however it burns very clean and there's no offensive (to me) fumes.

Shankara

Member II
If you’re into a visit to a bordering state, stock up on a few years worth. This method works well for me. Keep the stockpile on land and refill a smaller container for the Ericson.

paul culver

Member III
I explained the situation in this post, based on what a WM manager told me. The regulations have been and continue to be highly convoluted.

WM's price is way more than I'm willing to pay for it anyway.
I paid 24.99 for a gallon and it seemed reasonable I guess. The weird thing was the next shelf down had the same product tagged at 54.99.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I paid 24.99 for a gallon and it seemed reasonable I guess. The weird thing was the next shelf down had the same product tagged at 54.99.
I got mine from Zoro for $15/gallon, in quantity. Free shipping. Helps to have a cousin in Nevada, though, whom I enjoy visiting anyway....

hjohnson

S/V Sagres
We just pick up Methyl Hydrate (aka Methanol) from the hardware store. It's like $13 a gallon. Then again, it might not be available in California.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If your boat is propane-ready--meaning vented molds for the bottles and the safety switch and wiring--it would be a shame to forego it.

Propane is cheap and instant. I cooked three meals a day this summer for more than 50 days on one 2 1/2 gallon tank.

It's hard to miss the smell of propane, and you have to work hard to blow up a boat with it--although the Yachting Monthly demo does get one's attention.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
I use SunnySide Denatured Alcohol, 1 qt, Fuel, Exempt, Alcohol Appliance Fuel, Marine Stove Fuel on my Origo two burner stove and find it at local marine stores and Amazon for about $7.00/Qt.

I purchased an Origo 4000, two burner with Electric option but Discovery is a 1983 E-30+ and the space for the stove was two small and traded for the Origo 3000 two burner.

Mark "Souleman" Soule