• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

alternator brands

hdlEric

Member III
I suppose I am being cheap here, but please bear with me anyway. Since most of the parts and the block ofmy 1987 M25-XP are similar to a Kubota engine, would it be wise to use an alternator from a Kubota dealer; instead of paying $$$$$ for a Balmar or special marine brand?

thanks for your time !

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We have a long-established alternator/starter rebuild shop in our fair city that does a lot boat related work. He has rebuilt a ton of stock Motorola stock alternators from the 80's to be used with external controllers. Compared to the Balmar and its competitors, his prices are cheap.
There are limits, IIRC, to how hard you can run a stock frame alternator without harming it, tho.
Once you seriously consider a different alternator frame, tho, there are choices dependent on how it fits your engine and belt path. Note that the stock alternator on the M25XP is a painfully close fit around the engine cooling hose path. We had this engine in our '88 boat until 2018.
There are some good older threads here about usefulness of this upgrade, so a search on Motorola should be a starting point.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
`Note: Marine alternators are spark proof. Automotive and tractor ones are not. Balmars are over the top expensive. There are other brands of marine alternators that are more reasonable and just as good. I went with a 90 amp Lieche Neiville (sp?) Been totally happy with it for 1/3 the cost of the Balmar.

hdlEric

Member III
We have a long-established alternator/starter rebuild shop in our fair city that does a lot boat related work. He has rebuilt a ton of
We have a long-established alternator/starter rebuild shop in our fair city that does a lot boat related work. He has rebuilt a ton of stock Motorola stock alternators from the 80's to be used with external controllers. Compared to the Balmar and its competitors, his prices are cheap.
There are limits, IIRC, to how hard you can run a stock frame alternator without harming it, tho.
Once you seriously consider a different alternator frame, tho, there are choices dependent on how it fits your engine and belt path. Note that the stock alternator on the M25XP is a painfully close fit around the engine cooling hose path. We had this engine in our '88 boat until 2018.
There are some good older threads here about usefulness of this upgrade, so a search on Motorola should be a starting point.

stock Motorola stock alternators from the 80's to be used with external controllers. Compared to the Balmar and its competitors, his prices are cheap.
Hi Loren, Thanks again for your help. I am a little confused though. You spoke of the alternator frame not being durable enough for marine use. How do I determine which alternator to buy? Mine seems to be OK; just want to do some preventive maintainance. Also, do you know how to attach my tach to the voltage regulator? I apparently ruined one by attaching it incorrectly. Thanks soooo much again!!

hdlEric

Member III
`Note: Marine alternators are spark proof. Automotive and tractor ones are not. Balmars are over the top expensive. There are other brands of marine alternators that are more reasonable and just as good. I went with a 90 amp Lieche Neiville (sp?) Been totally happy with it for 1/3 the cost of the Balmar.
Thanks for the lead! Where did you start looking?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Well, a Balmar 100 is about $700, plus a smart (external) regulator ($300) to make it work efficiently with deep-cycle batteries.

Some careful research is useful when planning battery/ alternator/regulator installs. Lots to consider, or at least there was for me.

hdlEric

Member III
I recently swapped out the original Motorola alternator on my M25XP with this one from Catalina Direct: https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-28/engine/alternator-upgrade-kit-105a/

I've not done much testing of it's actual amperage output, but it's rated for 105 amps and is less than $200. This seemed like a good value to me.
Thanks for the info! I checked it out, and it has an internal regulator. Mine presently is a Balmar, with an (equally)expensive external Regulator. Anybody know how to change over, or if it would make sense to do so??

hdlEric

Member III
Thanks for the info! I checked it out, and it has an internal regulator. Mine presently is a Balmar, with an (equally)expensive external Regulator. Anybody know how to change over, or if it would make sense to do so??

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Eric, if it doesn't work, an alternator shop can help. But sounds like you're set up quite well at the moment.

Responders need to know the boat, year and model, and the engine. Put in Signature line. Click Username (top of page), then Signature.

Added: yes, absolutely get it rebuilt. That's a powerful alternator.

racushman

O34 - Los Angeles
If you already have a Balmar then definitely don't give that up. I would find your local auto electric shop (yelp works best for this for me) and have it rebuilt for like $100. No sense changing.

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
We have a high output Amptech alternator. It is about 1/2 the price of a Balmar. I have been very pleased with it. The PO installed it about 15 years ago. We needed to add a terminal on it for a tach output. We have gone through a couple voltage regulators that are not integral to the alternator, but the problems had nothing to do with the alternator. New ones are still available on eBay.
Mike Jacker

hdlEric

Member III
Thank you all so much for the input!!! Getting mine rebuilt does make LOTS more sense than buying a new one!! Sorry if I didn't follow protocol Christian :(.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Responders need to know the boat, year and model, and the engine. Put in Signature line. Click Username (top of page), then Signature.

Thanks.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
The Leece Neville (Prestolite) is an outstanding marine alternator. That is an old, well established company who makes alternators for ambulances and firetrucks, also. Excellent for the $$. Much less than Balmar. Maine Sail doesn't seem to have all of his write up about them any more. He may be sponsored by Balmar now(?).

1911tex

Sustaining Member
The Leece Neville (Prestolite) is an outstanding marine alternator. That is an old, well established company who makes alternators for ambulances and firetrucks, also. Excellent for the $$. Much less than Balmar. Maine Sail doesn't seem to have all of his write up about them any more. He may be sponsored by Balmar now(?).
That's the one I just purchased...went from original 51 amps to 100+ and easy swap...Lists most Ericson Kubota engines. Unbolt the original flywheel...that is all that is needed. Delivered in 3 days: